Help with install of first module, DCS World version

puyo3

Hi everyone,

Just purchased my first modules here on DCS and hope to install and set everything up this next week as I will have a rare window of opportunity to really concentrate.

Early this year I purchased a computer planning on going with an updated monitor with TrackIR, but was swept into the enthusiasm of VR. I purchase an Oculus rift S as it seemed a good choice for a modest system.

My computer is on the lower end of specs required, so thought to ask if I should download DCS World 1.5 instead of 2.5 or 2.5.6 to perhaps have less demand on my system, thereby keeping my limited resources more dedicated to the aircraft performance rather than scenery, features, etc. I hope to upgrade my computer upon gaining experience in a year or so, but stay with performance for now. I am starting with WW2 aircraft to start, so low system demand I would think compared with a fast mover - hope to start with the F5 or F-16 when the time comes.

Also, if anyone can walk me through the downloading process, using the module manager; I know its in the technical section, but a simple overview, especially pointing out any common errors or pitfalls would be greatly appreciated. As I said, a rare opportunity to get this all done, up and running, so I desperately don't want to screw anything up here just getting to the starting line.

Thanks for any inputs, pointers, recommendations you can share to help me to get a smooth install accomplished, and hopefully get up there in DCS with the rest of you!

p3

Hi and welcome to the forum. Installing DCS is as easy as downloading it and running it however there are a couple things that can cause issues. Anti-virus sometimes doesn't play nice with it so adding DCS to allowed/white list is one thing and also setting DCS to run as administrator (right click on DCS desktop option to change this). Once you start up DCS you should see a window pop up in module manager telling you what modules you own and can install.

Without knowing your PCs specs hard to say which version to go with but running VR in 2.5.6 will take more than a "modest, lower end" system.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Installing DCS is as easy as downloading it and running it however there are a couple things that can cause issues. Anti-virus sometimes doesn't play nice with it so adding DCS to allowed/white list is one thing and also setting DCS to run as administrator (right click on DCS desktop option to change this). Once you start up DCS you should see a window pop up in module manager telling you what modules you own and can install.

Without knowing your PCs specs hard to say which version to go with but running VR in 2.5.6 will take more than a "modest, lower end" system.

Thanks for your reply - Win10 i7-9600F [no OC], 16 2666 ram, 500 g ss drive, Nvidia 2060S; I am upgrading to a AIO to allow the Turbo feature [3.0 base up to 4.7 ghz max] to increase as much as possible. I purchased the 109K, and Fw 190 A & D.

If you want to try 1.5 make sure the module you buy actually works (exists) in this version:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2346597&postcount=3

Thank you - went there, that's a flurry of listings, how does one go about sorting this? I purchased all WW2 modules, 109K, 190A&D; if you can inform me how to limit my search in light of the number of sub-versions of each, that would be very helpful.

And would 2.5 be substantially lower than the current 2.5.6? And is 2.5 compared to 1.5 a massive increase in system resources?

FW 190 A-8 requires 2.5.5. Others are fine. DCS 2.5 is a major version change and big requirements boost over 1.5. Downloading 2.5 stable means 2.5.5, beta 2.5 is 2.5.6 currently.

https://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

And would 2.5 be substantially lower than the current 2.5.6? And is 2.5 compared to 1.5 a massive increase in system resources?

The main difference between 1.5 and 2.5 is ram usage. The 2.5.6 update has given some people performance issues but they should be able to get it working better. I don't use VR so not sure how well your set up would work in 2.5 with VR but it would be fine for 2D. Most people would recommend 32 gigs of RAM for multiplayer or VR in 2.5 I think but that doesn't mean unplayable. Simpler missions in single player or lowering settings a bit could work.

As Draconus pointed out the Anton can only be used in 2.5 but also the Normandy map or any other map for that matter. (free Marianas map and Channel map coming soon) All modules, maps, and campaigns do list what version you need in the store.

I would advise against downloading 1.5. There is no real reason to do it with performance in mind, in fact its probably worse optimized for VR. You can always try to play VR in 2.5 and if it turns out bad go without VR untill you have a better PC. TrackIR will do in the time you save for a new PC.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Download recommended folder install, UAC, AV

The main difference between 1.5 and 2.5 is ram usage. The 2.5.6 update has given some people performance issues but they should be able to get it working better. I don't use VR so not sure how well your set up would work in 2.5 with VR but it would be fine for 2D. Most people would recommend 32 gigs of RAM for multiplayer or VR in 2.5 I think but that doesn't mean unplayable. Simpler missions in single player or lowering settings a bit could work.

As Draconus pointed out the Anton can only be used in 2.5 but also the Normandy map or any other map for that matter. (free Marianas map and Channel map coming soon) All modules, maps, and campaigns do list what version you need in the store.

I would advise against downloading 1.5. There is no real reason to do it with performance in mind, in fact its probably worse optimized for VR. You can always try to play VR in 2.5 and if it turns out bad go without VR untill you have a better PC. TrackIR will do in the time you save for a new PC.

Thanks to you both and all respondents; one last newbie question if you would - it's been awhile since I've installed simm software, but with IL-2 1946 the recommended install involved turning off UAC and anti virus (or adding to the allowed AV list), and installing in a C/: folder directly rather than the default location, so C/: DCS World. Is this the same or should I stay with the default?

Thanks again for your time

UAC as you wish.

AV better to whitelist DCS folders.

Location of files does not matter for DCS. I'd recommend installing on fastest drive.

DCS is not complicated in its install. One main game folder. One saved games folder for configs, settings and user files. Anything else is temp files.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

CT68, Good afternoon. I tend to read everything and this answer woke me up. It seems whenever I place something in the ED/DCSWorld folder as directed by installation details, i.e. liveries into Coremods/Bazar/aircraft.... I get a message stating I have no permission or if it allows me, then when the updates happen I get a message saying it was erased. That's what happened to my A-4C Skyhawk from openbeta. I even tried copying the whole folder back in. Again I have no permission.

So your response to pulo is how exactly do I change this? I looked at my permissions in the standalone and tried to edit accordingly, but no joy. Please sir, could you expound on the solution? Greatly applicative.

liveries into Coremods/Bazar/aircraft.

AFAIK Liveries dont go in the Bazar folder, but rather DCS World OpenBeta\CoreMods\aircraft\FA-18C for example. This might be the reason for your issues.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

CT68, Good afternoon. I tend to read everything and this answer woke me up. It seems whenever I place something in the ED/DCSWorld folder as directed by installation details, i.e. liveries into Coremods/Bazar/aircraft.... I get a message stating I have no permission or if it allows me, then when the updates happen I get a message saying it was erased. That's what happened to my A-4C Skyhawk from openbeta. I even tried copying the whole folder back in. Again I have no permission.

So your response to pulo is how exactly do I change this? I looked at my permissions in the standalone and tried to edit accordingly, but no joy. Please sir, could you expound on the solution? Greatly applicative.

I think its best to keep DCS Program folder clean. For liveries add a "Liveries" folder to Saved Games / DCS folder and add folders for each aircraft you have skins for making sure theyre named the same as in DCS Install folder. For the A4 mod the" A-4E-C" folder goes into Saved Games / DCS / Mods / aircraft folder.

Edited by cthulhu68

Thank you sir. I try to stay away from the main program. But often the instructions say to. And then that's when I get the message about 'Administrator Authorization' I know that you can change this on your system, but I can't get it. I fond in properties where you can edit, but when I try, I get declined. Then I really get frustrated. What am I doing wrong?

Greetings and thank you for getting back so quickly. That's pretty much where it all goes. One Senior member had drafted up a Cheat Sheet if you will, which listed Exactly which thread anything should go, from liveries to a module or mission add-on. I printed that and stuck it to my desk.

My only other issue was the Administration authorization and how I can edit to match mine to allow me to do things.

Thank you again

My only other issue was the Administration authorization and how I can edit to match mine to allow me to do things.

How to always run a program in administrator mode in Windows 10

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/always-run-a-program-in-administrator-mode-in-windows-10/

This walks through the process easily but this is just for running the program. Don't think this is going to help in modifying program files. To do that you would right click on DCS World folder / Properties / Security and there you can modify User to full control.I Don't recommend you do that though. If a program is telling you not to do something you probably shouldn't.

Edited by cthulhu68