Hot Trigger Condition

Arthipex

So, as preparation for my role as a RIO tomorrow I've started thoroughly studying all the backseat stuff. Of course, the RIO pit features a weapon release button for the AIM-7 and AIM-54, which apparently is only available when the HOT TRIGGER condition is met.

What requirements need to be fulfilled for this? Couldn't find anything in the manual.

Can Pilot and Rio work with differrn weapons? Meaning Rio work with Sparrow and Phoenix while pilot work wirh gun and Sidewinder?

not at the same time. the pilot has to select the a-a weapon on his stick. rio has to select a-g ordnance though on his panel before pilot can drop any so theres that. also rio cant fire gun or sidewinder I dont think but not sure

not at the same time. the pilot has to select the a-a weapon on his stick. rio has to select a-g ordnance though on his panel before pilot can drop any so theres that. also rio cant fire gun or sidewinder I dont think but not sure

Think my text was not so understandable sorry.

Im mean in an A-A Engagement. Can the Rio controll the Sparrows and Phoenix Missiles via his Radar while the Pilot use Sidewinder and Guns on the same Time?

For Exampla, you have a bogey in 1nm 12oclock and another bogey lets say 11 oclock 7nm.

Can the pilot engage bogey 1 while the rio engage bogey 2 on the same time?

Ahhh, didn't think of that. Thanks Hezter.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I think parsing the above this has been answered, but to try and summarize.

The gates that must be met for hot trigger indications for both pilot and RIO are

1. Master Arm - ON

2. Master mode select - AA (pilot display panel)

3. Weapon select (pilot stick) - SP/PH (sparrow/phoenix)

4 .Radar target locked

To clarify the selection of weapons - the A/A weapons are all controlled from the pilots selector switch. For A/G the mode selection is made from the pilots display panel but actual pylon and weapon select is performed via the switches on the RIOs weapon panel. Finally the bomb is released from the pickle button on the pilots stick.

The gates that must be met for hot trigger indications for both pilot and RIO are

1. Master Arm - ON

4 .Radar target locked or targets hooked in TWS mode for Phoenix launch

Just a small correction to this. You don't need to hard lock a target for a Phoenix launch, hooking targets in TWS mode is enough to do so.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Just a small correction to this. You don't need to hard lock a target for a Phoenix launch, hooking targets in TWS mode is enough to do so.

TWS is sufficient for a Phoenix launch as far as I know.

1. Master Arm - ON

4 .Radar target locked

Makes sense!

• 1 year later...

ive had some very odd situations as a RIO in MP where a hot trigger wouldnt appear no matter what we did. this is with a very experienced in game and real life navy pilot.

Ill add a couple times him firing cleared it. otherwise I had to start yelling to ACM it

Im mean in an A-A Engagement. Can the Rio controll the Sparrows and Phoenix Missiles via his Radar while the Pilot use Sidewinder and Guns on the same Time?

For Exampla, you have a bogey in 1nm 12oclock and another bogey lets say 11 oclock 7nm.

As @Badger1-1 mentioned, it isn't possible.

Because as far as I know, in the Tomcat only 1 specific weapon can be selected at a given time.

Regarding A-A wepons, they can be employed as follow:

Pilot: M61 cannon, AIM-9, AIM-7 and AIM-54

RIO: AIM-7 and AIM-54

(On the other hand however, what you're asking is roughly what the F-16 can do in its "dogfight mode": firing both the M61 cannon and the AIM-9 simultaneously.)

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

the rio cant select guns or sidewinders.

The pilot can. Only ONE weapon can be used at a time

The RIO cant select anything really, as far as A2A To be used. He CAN fire and interact with AIM 7 and AIM54 launches etc. AIM9 and guns is all pilot

Only one weapon type at a time though

I have a real hard time with this hot trigger condition. Master arm is on, PH selected and I tell Jester to go TWS. I can see him hook the target but there is no priority number, just one test Mig25 though. No hot trigger for either PH or the SP (after a STT lock requested for the SP), it did come on sometimes but I cannot consistently get it to light up.

No problem with the SW though

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

You do not need to hook targets in TWS to get a Hot Trigger! This is a common misconception it seems...

What you do need is valid launch criteria, meaning you need to have a radar contact that is within the Dynamic Launch Zone (DLZ). If the target is too far away, or running away it might be outside the DLZ and hence doesn't qualify as a Phoenix target.

Also make sure, that you are actually dealing with radar contacts and not with data link contacts. If you only have the target as a DL contact, then you can't fire at it.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Even with an STT lock and the T nicely in the center, range is anything from 20 - 40nm for the PH it won't light up and I cannot launch the PH. Very frustrating. This was on Syria, should maybe just try on a different map to be sure.

Only getting into the Tomcat now so steep learning curve.

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

I have a real hard time with this hot trigger condition. Master arm is on, PH selected and I tell Jester to go TWS. I can see him hook the target but there is no priority number, just one test Mig25 though. No hot trigger for either PH or the SP (after a STT lock requested for the SP), it did come on sometimes but I cannot consistently get it to light up.

No problem with the SW though

The AIM-9 Sidewinder being an heat-seeking missile (as oposed to a radar-guided one), does have a different launch criteria.

In the F-14B's case, the AIM-9 L or M don't even need a valid (strong enough) heat source to be launched.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Even with an STT lock and the T nicely in the center, range is anything from 20 - 40nm for the PH it won't light up and I cannot launch the PH. Very frustrating. This was on Syria, should maybe just try on a different map to be sure.

Only getting into the Tomcat now so steep learning curve.

Make sure the following conditions are all met:

- A-A mode selcted (pilot)

- Phoenix selected (pilot)

- Master Arm on (pilot)

- Missile Preperation activated and finished (Pilot)

- Target on radar (STT or TWS) and within launch parameters (RIO)

Edit: Additionally make also sure that Liquid cooling is activated (single 3 position switch on the outside of the left consoles in the RIO pit, which needs to be set FWD). Not sure if this is necessary to get a HOT TRIGGER, but it should be turned on for the Phoenix anyways (for some variants of the Phoenix at least).

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg