MiG-29S RADAR RANGE Bug Report - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart666 View Post
I got to say, im having a tough time getting any range out of it. I can understand the A model being fairly poor, but even the S model with an upgraded radar its tough to find anything in BVR mode much beyond 15 klicks...
Ummm...15 klicks? In this case, fighter sized target, 80 km... This happened to be the "S" model but it's the same for the "A". So something's not right somewhere.

EDIT: Ahh...while I was waiting for the video to upload before posting this, Schmidtfire posted some good advice. In the video, notice that I am using the Front Hemisphere (HPRF) setting because the bogie is approaching. This gives you the greatest search range in that situation.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Last edited by Ironhand; 11-09-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #12
stuart666

I just tried it again on multiplayer, and it seemed to do a bit better. But im not sure if that was because the target was flying higher than me and was easier to pick up. He was also advertising his presence by having his ecm on.

Im not sure if its me and still grappling to get to grips with this radar, or there is a real issue here. But it didnt seem to be this difficult to adquire targets flying the Su27, even allowing for its greater detection range.
stuart666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #13
pawea

Something not quite right with the radar i can't pick up shit BVR and its nothing to do with jamming,the SU-27/33 radar was a challenge bit this is insane....you have to wait until visual to engage and lock any target,even at 7km its difficult to get a lock........
pawea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
Ironhand
Veteran

I think you're finding that the MiG's radar has less processing power than, say, the Flanker's and, so, it's much more susceptible to ground clutter, etc. Against a target that I was able to pick up at 60+ km in a look down situation with the Flanker's radar, I had to wait until I was within 40 km with the MiG-29's radar in the correct PRF (HPRF) for the situation and 25-30 km with MPRF.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #15
pawea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
I think you're finding that the MiG's radar has less processing power than, say, the Flanker's and, so, it's much more susceptible to ground clutter, etc. Against a target that I was able to pick up at 60+ km in a look down situation with the Flanker's radar, I had to wait until I was within 40 km with the MiG-29's radar in the correct PRF (HPRF) for the situation and 25-30 km with MPRF.
Hmmm so it looks like you gotta actively work it to get the best results gonna try that later thx.....
pawea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #16
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawea View Post
Hmmm so it looks like you gotta actively work it to get the best results gonna try that later thx.....
While it’s never a good idea to be lazy in any cockpit, it’s an especially bad idea in the -29’s.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #17
Satarosa

https://51escadrongriffon.com/index....avions-jouable
Satarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:06 AM   #18
Alfa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
Hmm why do you think the N019 has less processing power? . Both radars use a combination of an analogue signal processor and a digital data processor and at least the latter is the same(Ts100) on both. The range differences you mention seem rather consistent with the difference in overall radar "power" - i.e. same output power, but with ~ 50% larger antenna area on the N001.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:17 AM   #19
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa View Post
Hmm why do you think the N019 has less processing power? . Both radars use a combination of an analogue signal processor and a digital data processor and at least the latter is the same(Ts100) on both. The range differences you mention seem rather consistent with the difference in overall radar "power" - i.e. same output power, but with ~ 50% larger antenna area on the N001.
I read it on the internet.

It probably was signal power, though, rather than processing power. My memory isn't what it used to be.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #20
AeriaGloria

I do love the difference in ground clutter handling between the flankers and the fulcrum. Sometimes in the MiG going low is the only way to get max detection range
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote