Radiators open or auto? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #21
Shahdoh

WEP in the Mustang is VERY usable below 5000 ft. Myself and several others here participate in online racing with the mustang and there is a significant advantage to using WEP no matter the altitude. If you do not use it, you will not win a race. The same could be used in combat if you need to catch or run from an opponent.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #22
SnowTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylor703 View Post
I always have them both on auto, unless in wep which I crank them open. Is the increase in drag with having them open on WEP even worth it?
The trick is to limit drag by closing the dampers as much as possible while maintaining air flow for cooling.

In WEP and Full Throttle, the dampers can be all but closed, however you must maintain your speed to maintain the airflow.

And as Shahdoh has stated, we fly just above the ground (100-300 feet AGL) all the time with everything punched as hard as we can punch it. And it all makes a huge difference.

And for example, if you are Full Throttle, RPM's @ 2700 and WEP on, you are going to lag behind the others if you have your Rad Dampers on Auto due to the drag.

Shahdoh is "the man" when it comes to this stuff.
His knowledge and sharing of the same, dramatically increased my performance at the Races this year.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:50 AM   #23
baylor703

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowTiger View Post
The trick is to limit drag by closing the dampers as much as possible while maintaining air flow for cooling.

In WEP and Full Throttle, the dampers can be all but closed, however you must maintain your speed to maintain the airflow.

And as Shahdoh has stated, we fly just above the ground (100-300 feet AGL) all the time with everything punched as hard as we can punch it. And it all makes a huge difference.

And for example, if you are Full Throttle, RPM's @ 2700 and WEP on, you are going to lag behind the others if you have your Rad Dampers on Auto due to the drag.

Shahdoh is "the man" when it comes to this stuff.
His knowledge and sharing of the same, dramatically increased my performance at the Races this year.
After testing it out some, you all are definitely right. Here is the result of a quick test I ran. Trim wasn't perfect, but the point remains that having the radiator flaps fully open all but negates the benefit of WEP:

6K Feet (all ias):
310 MPH @ Combat settings w/ auto rads
310 MPH @ WEP w/ fully open rads
340 MPH @ WEP w/ auto rads

10K:
320 MPH @ Combat settings w/ auto rads
320 MPH @ WEP w/ fully open rads
350 MPH @ WEP w/ auto rads

20k:
280 MPH @ Combat settings w/ auto rads
290 MPH @ WEP w/ fully open rads
300 MPH @ WEP w/ auto rads

I don't feel as comfortable as you all closing the flaps, but will do a few practice runs to see how far it can be pushed.
baylor703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:55 AM   #24
BuzzU

WW2 planes are so simple compared to modern jets that I use the manual setting to give me something to do. I do find myself on fully open most of the time when flying.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
BuzzU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #25
SnowTiger

@baylor703

Try closing the Rad all the way and then open it with 4 x 1 second presses of the Open switch.

Fly balls to the wall on the throttle; full WEP @ 2700 RPM.

Then IF and whenever the temp appears to be getting at the top end of the Green zone, open the OIL Damper for 5 seconds (which is completely open). Most people don't believe me but you will see that the temp drops rapidly when you do that.
Then you can close the Oil Damper up to keep the drag to a minimal ... however I often leave mine wide open for the duration of a race.

With the Rad open only as much as I suggested you will get maximum cooling with minimum drag as long as you remain above 250 mph. And this way you can remain in full throttle and WEP for over 18 minutes (as we had to do in Shahdoh's "Gudata Race Course" in 2015).

Try it as I have mentioned and when you are satisfied that your engine will take it, you can experiment with opening/closing the damper a little bit either way. There is a sweet spot there.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #26
Magic Zach

Something I've been doing for a while now, is before going to mess around doing hammerheads, tailslides, tailslides with power (not sure if there is a name for it, but the torque makes you spin like a top), deliberate spins, I fully open my oil rad flap, but leave my coolant in auto. The oil is overcooled, but because so, the coolant stays cooler, helping to keep the coolant door closed. Also, I need that cold oil when I'm in a straight vertical climb, plus whatever shenanigans I do at the top of the climb. I can really push it.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:03 AM   #27
baylor703

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowTiger View Post
@baylor703

Try closing the Rad all the way and then open it with 4 x 1 second presses of the Open switch.

Fly balls to the wall on the throttle; full WEP @ 2700 RPM.

Then IF and whenever the temp appears to be getting at the top end of the Green zone, open the OIL Damper for 5 seconds (which is completely open). Most people don't believe me but you will see that the temp drops rapidly when you do that.
Then you can close the Oil Damper up to keep the drag to a minimal ... however I often leave mine wide open for the duration of a race.
Tried the four second method you suggested, and it made all the difference. Even in hot temps above 30C. For simplicity's sake, do you think leaving the oil rad open at all times (aside for warming up oil on cold starts etc) to keep cooler is worth the minimal increase in drag?

Last edited by baylor703; 11-11-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:15 AM   #28
Shahdoh

It is worth testing, as the oil cooler door drag is pretty insignificant compared to the gain.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #29
baylor703

Ok, did some more testing, mainly for those who may see this thread later and want a place to start. This was all done low, at 6k feet, and with the OIL set to auto. These were the best settings I could get doing combat maneuvers and that I would consider "safe" to set at, including occasional loops. Obviously others may get better settings and you will want to monitor coolant temp, but this is a baseline.

0C/32F: WEP, closed coolant rad and then opened for 4 seconds. >10 mins
10C/50F: WEP, closed coolant rad and then opened for 4 seconds.- 6/7 mins
24C/75F: WEP, keep both coolant and oil on auto.- >10 mins
32C/90F: WEP, keep both coolant and oil on auto.- >10 mins
Old 11-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #30
SnowTiger

Again, I agree with Shahdoh that the Oil Rad Damper provides Minimal Drag.
In fact, I often just leave it wide open during racing.
Otherwise, during air-to-air or air-to-ground flight, I just leave BOTH Rad and Oil on Auto.

IF things start to heat up, I open the Oil all the way (press and hold for 5 seconds).

I leave the Rad damper on Auto almost always UNLESS Racing. Then I close it up as much as possible (open for 2 - 6x 1second pushes). 2 probably isn't enough and 6 will cause to much drag. I give you that range for experimentation. My Race Setting is "somewhere between those two figures" !!

Dog Fighting and Stunts > Oil open and Rad on Auto OR Rad all the way open ... but then it's too hard to Run Away ... which I often find myself doing ... but I do it well ! LOL