Pitch and yaw on gazelle is "rolling over" - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 05:26 AM   #41
borchi_2b
3rd Party Developer

@AtomMrav: To me it looks as if you pull the stick back. the Gazelle would never, even with SAS on in DCS level the nose back to normal that fast. Sorrry, this can only be achieved with stick inputs that fast as seen in yur video. SAS wil level the nose if you do not reset the nose additude with magnetic, or cooliehat trim.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #42
Sephyrius

Quote:
Originally Posted by borchi_2b View Post
@AtomMrav: To me it looks as if you pull the stick back. the Gazelle would never, even with SAS on in DCS level the nose back to normal that fast. Sorrry, this can only be achieved with stick inputs that fast as seen in yur video. SAS wil level the nose if you do not reset the nose additude with magnetic, or cooliehat trim.
Well, he did say that he centered the stick after a while - it was either that or crash into the ground since even with this minimal amount of input the downward pitch just keeps going and going.

So if that is normal flight behaviour, does that mean that the pilot basically just uses the cyclic to set the desired attitude for the magnetic break/cooliehat trim for each maneuver and then lets it hold it for him instead of "hands-on" flying?

I'd turn off the SAS system, but the 'going and going' effect of stick input makes it difficult to see how to fly in a stable manner.

Last edited by Sephyrius; 02-13-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Sephyrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #43
AtomMrav

@borchi_2b

Have you seen how little input i have applied? You almost can't notice it on axes input screen in left corner of screen.
And Gazelle is very light helicopter and very sensitive to input, so, she is capable of fast direction changing. It is not like Mi-8, who has input delay.

But that's not a reason why I made this thread. I will repeat myself, my only problem is that with minimal joystick input the downward / upward pitch just keeps going and going. With that problem it is impossible to fly by hand. You can't make stable turns etc...

I feel that Sephyrius is the only one who can completely understand me. Probably because he has the same problem. You have to experience that to be able to understand it completely.
AtomMrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #44
Sephyrius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomMrav View Post
Weird thing is, I turned off FFB - I knew it broke the cooliehat trim but used mostly the magnetic brake anyways - and now it seems to be working great. There's no centering force at all though and haven't gotten SimFFB to implement that either.

The SAS tries to compensate after a few seconds as you'd expect , and after disabling it and the gyros it's really hands-on and handles wonderfully. Now I just gotta figure out how to get that centering force back.

Maybe double-check that it's off? I'm gonna keep having to switch it on and off since I use it for other modules, seems to affect behaviour even if not using FFB sticks too (which is why the same thing happened when I used a separate lever for cyclic pitch testing making me think it wasnt a FFB issue).

Last edited by Sephyrius; 02-13-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #45
docWilly

@AtomMrav,

thank you for the effort to make a video. I watched it several times.

As I said before I do not experience this behaviour and I guess thats because I do not have FFB stick but spring centered (with a minimal deadzone to compensate for erratic stick inputs - either by me or by my hardware). It seems that the "goin and going" is caused by your FFB (you are using one , right?). This maybe due to calibration, motor movement of stick or something like that.

As borchi/sephyrius said, SAS compensates -using magnetic brake or not - has no influence as long as SAS is working.

So the only thing to look at is - beside your setting/Config/Hardware - an interference with implemented FFB logic...but that´s a thing borchi is the one to look into (or test with FFB sticks - if not already done).

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50 DCS 1.5/2.5
docWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #46
AtomMrav

@docWilly

I don't use FFB stick. My stick is Saitek x55, it is a spring centered stick. And I have disabled FFB option in Misc. settings.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:35 PM   #47
Holton181

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomMrav View Post
@docWilly

I don't use FFB stick. My stick is Saitek x55, it is a spring centered stick. And I have disabled FFB option in Misc. settings.
Two wild guesses:
1) I don't own the Gazelle yet, but I think an alternative FFB behavior was introduced for it. And to turn it off you have to do so in the "Special" tab for the Gazelle. I might be wrong.
2) This is a real long-shot. Historically there has been situations with DCS that after an update a certain setting loose it's "effect" (or however I should put it). Mening for instance if you want a particular setting activated with a tick in a box and have that working before the update. After the update that setting is no longer active, despite the tick still being there. The cure was in those cases to remove the tick, save and close DCS, start it again, add the tick again and save. Worth a try.
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #48
AtomMrav

@Holton181

1) Yes, you are wrong. There is no such a option i "Special" settings for Gazelle
2) I have fresh DCS 2.5 install, so that is not case with me

But, thanks for suggestions. Appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #49
henhag

Please excuse that I didn't read the whole thread, but I just posted a short guide for setting up helicopter controls,
especially pointing out curvature/saturation settings for the cyclic pitch and roll axis
I use these settings with the DCS: SA-342 Gazelle and I never had any problems flying this aircraft

Controls guide for helicopters... Or: Why you should avoid using curvature
Old 02-14-2018, 05:51 AM   #50
Sephyrius

Perhaps try backing up and then deleting the controller config files for the gazelle? I've had issues in the past resolved by doing that.