Flap settings on takeoff?

Nealius

I'm confused on flap usage during takeoff. Chuck's guide says to retract flaps before takeoff. The DCS manual says to extend flaps before takeoff, but fails to explain how far to extend the flaps. Other sim forums say to extend flaps to 20 degrees if you have more than 60% fuel, but their FM may be different than the DCS FM. This is all very conflicting and confusing.

How should I set my flaps on takeoff?

I'll have to check my ATA again, but I'm generally between 1.2 and 1.3. I was doing well last night and now I'm suddenly having problems today. I tried 10 degrees flaps with full nose down trim and encountered severe pitch up and left roll despite forward and right stick to counter. I tried 20 degrees and had less problems.

I never extend the flaps for take-off in the Bf-109. She is very eager to up anyway, so no need to encourage her.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I never extend the flaps for take-off in the Bf-109. She is very eager to up anyway, so no need to encourage her.

well...with gear down, and flaps to 2nd position ~20° it has more a nose down tendency than with flaps retracted. furthermore, even if its not necessary at the JFK runways we have on our current maps, it will shorten the TOD, which is never a bad thing.

Edited by birdstrike

I find it confusing that, normally when extending flaps I get a pitch down moment, but when I take off with flaps down, 2 degrees nose down trim, and neutral stick I get massive pitch up once the wheels leave the ground.
That's because of ATA setting, the higher you use the more torque forces you encounter, the lower your speed the worst those torque effects are and the harder to control she is. Give a try with different TO setting and you'll be surprised.

With regard to the OT I never use flaps to TO in the 109 (or 190, or Spit, or Ponny unless external stores), as somebody already said she's willing enough to get airborne making any extra aid useless or even a drawback. But of course that's using 1.2-3 ATA, the time I forgot to watch it and go higher I have a bad time taking off until I realise my mistake. Also manual pitch to 11.30 (as recommended by some modern warbird pilots) is a quite pleasant setting and more than enough to get airborne in a few seconds with a quite predictable torque, once in the air auto goes fine. With flaps everything is worst, they can be used but unnecessary for my taste.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

20 Degree Flaps setting works Pretty good, because with full Fuel Tank the Center of Gravity is moves backwards in the 109, that makes the sudden nose Pitch up in the 109 on Take off.

With Flaps down it wil shift Foward, makes smooth Take off even with full Power and Nose heavy Trim of 1.

Why should this a Drawback?

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27