Comms question

ehlw1993

Hi guys,

Got a little question. :helpsmilie:

Made a mission by myself, with combined A2A and A2G tasks and my buddy is an AI F-16. I select the comm1 freq to the AWACS and the comm2 freq to the JTAC, is there a way to contact my buddy?

There's a secured voice channel, probably IRL the channel for wingman comms. Do I have to use the comm 1 or comm 2 channel for wingan communication? :joystick:

Grtz

I think you have several ways to solve your problem, but you only have two radios .

If you are two f16's then one of you go a2g while the other stay up high and do a2a.

The one doing a2a keep contact with you and the awac

While the plane doing A2g is in contact with the wingman and JTAC.

( the A/A guy he can properbly at the same time use his TGP and look for ground targets as well so he is ready to swap with you ).

THat way you can focus 100% on ground attack and jtac rather than doing everything at once.

With other words.

Split the workload and keep communication to a minimum.

Edited by delevero

As delevero says, division of comms is kinda the only way to do it, at least that's the way I see it. It's easier in the A-10C, since you have 3 radios, but otherwise, different members of the flight monitor different channels, while using the other radio for flight comms.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

You could push the wingman over to the JTAC frequency that you're working, that should do it.

Funnily enough, I used Eastern Friendship's triggers to find out how to do this myself.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I could start by saying typically it's COM2 flight COM1 everyone else but it's beside the point. The issue you have is you have two radios and three people to talk to. Realistically your wingman's radio is just as capable of yours at changing frequency and would follow you to one or both.

Unfortunately the DCS player finds themselves in a situation where there are B agencies which adamantly will not change frequency and you have A radios where B > A.

As a practical solution you have to decide which agencies you will not be listening to and when. Almost never should you break up flight integrity so own flight should be maintained almost always. I would set up presets 1 and 2 to own flight and AWACS while I used COM2 for JTAC. Using the inc-dec I could flip back and force COM1 between the two channels quickly (page up, page down). Just before committing AG I would flip over AWACS and ask picture update then dash in-out only if AWACSs had no relevant threats with own flight in contact (and not AWACS).

I could start by saying typically it's COM2 flight COM1 everyone else but it's beside the point. The issue you have is you have two radios and three people to talk to. Realistically your wingman's radio is just as capable of yours at changing frequency and would follow you to one or both.

Unfortunately the DCS player finds themselves in a situation where there are B agencies which adamantly will not change frequency and you have A radios where B > A.

As a practical solution you have to decide which agencies you will not be listening to and when. Almost never should you break up flight integrity so own flight should be maintained almost always. I would set up presets 1 and 2 to own flight and AWACS while I used COM2 for JTAC. Using the inc-dec I could flip back and force COM1 between the two channels quickly (page up, page down). Just before committing AG I would flip over AWACS and ask picture update then dash in-out only if AWACSs had no relevant threats with own flight in contact (and not AWACS).

Hmmm yes, I think I will stay as long as possible in flight comms and AWACS comms. Just wanted to know if I could use a 3rd radio channel. Thanks for the replies guys!!

With the Viper and Hornet, you've got just the two radios. Keep AWACS/Strike in Comm1 and the JTAC Comm2. You're not going to be in comms with more than two external (to your flight) assets at any given time, really.

Plus, don't forget to monitor guard! If someone else wants to talk to you, they'll call you on that! :-)