Valve Index Hands On

aileron

The lens are from Zenni but you have to buy a particular glass frame with it which is only $6.95.

This frame is a throwaway but the lens fit the lens inserts which is 3D printed, link below.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3753906

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on my performance issues, my 5 month old Asus board was bad. My frames in the Viper are back to 45 running 148/138 and 2x MSAA. MFDs still look like ass though lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Many weeks ago i was given to understand by several advice topics that DCS PD should be left at 1.0 if similar setting were being used (and better used) within steamvr settings. Only on a whim i just tried Supmua setting of 1.4 without changing anything in steamvr. Have been surprised to find mfd text noticeably less blurry. Will leave it set that way for now.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

Many weeks ago i was given to understand by several advice topics that DCS PD should be left at 1.0 if similar setting were being used (and better used) within steamvr settings. Only on a whim i just tried Supmua setting of 1.4 without changing anything in steamvr. Have been surprised to find mfd text noticeably less blurry. Will leave it set that way for now.

What were you using and now are using for Steam SS?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Changing to PD 1.4 is only change. Has long been set as advised to 1.0

SteamVr beta

Applications - Motion smoothing Always enable. Custom Res 100% (2112x2348)

Video - 120 HZ , Enable Motion smoothing OFF

Developer - Enable advanced supersampling YES

NB it shows in the dashboard that Motion smoothing is ON despite above setting

As per sig my force IPD is presently set 52

Tested in Caucasus Free flight

Edited by CobaltUK

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

Changing to PD 1.4 is only change. Has long been set as advised to 1.0

SteamVr beta

Applications - Motion smoothing Always enable. Custom Res 100% (2112x2348)

Video - 120, Enable Motion smoothing OFF

Developer - Enable advanced supersampling YES

NB it shows in the dashboard that Motion smoothing is ON despite above setting

As per sig my force IPD is presently set 52

Tested in Caucasus Free flight

So your Video Tab Custom Resolution is at 120% with motion smoothing unchecked? DCS Application is set to 100% and your in game Pixel Density is 1.4? I'll test tomorrow. As to the question about motion smoothing on, there are at least 2 areas to turn it on. I keep the one in video tab on, otherwise it's a mess visually. There is another one in the Application Tab DCS with 4 options I believe. Global, Always Enable, Always Disable and Force on which cuts frames to half. This one I leave at the global setting. If you check force on, you can watch the monitor go from green to yellow instantly. If you turn both off, I believe it defaults to reprojection.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Each tab/section is as stated. I've edited to be clear that 120 refers to 120hz. The likelyhood of being a better option for others is remote considering the many weeks of shared settings. Still needs fixing but now I can live with it a little better. NB I have reflections disabled as well which in itself was no help.

Each tab/section is as stated. I've edited to be clear that 120 refers to 120hz. The likelyhood of being a better option for others is remote considering the many weeks of shared settings. Still needs fixing but now I can live with it a little better. NB I have reflections disabled as well which in itself was no help.

The general opinion is that it is not great to have 2 diffierent processes doing your SS, and it is felt that SteamVr does a more efficient job than DCS PD. That is why the advice is normally to use SteamVR with PD set to 1.0.

I personally agree with this, and find that SteamVR does a better job at improving clarity and I have it set to 204% with PD at 1.0. But, your findings may be different.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The general opinion is that it is not great to have 2 diffierent processes doing your SS, and it is felt that SteamVr does a more efficient job than DCS PD. That is why the advice is normally to use SteamVR with PD set to 1.0.

I personally agree with this, and find that SteamVR does a better job at improving clarity and I have it set to 204% with PD at 1.0. But, your findings may be different.

Call it a placebo effect but I almost always end up switching back from 204% to using 148% CR, 138% DCS Application and Pixel Density of 1.0. That said 204% is what I consider my default fallback/safe setting when testing. Using DCS App at 138% seems to add saturation making the image richer in color. Again, it could simply be a placebo effect.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does anyone know how to forcce a firmware update? I noticed the other day that someone mentioned a firmware update on SteamVR that I didn't see. Didn't think anything of it, but earlier I tried to access the Display Settings tab in VR, and just got a 'firnware update is necessary to access this' message.

How do I check what firmware version I have, and what the latest is?

Video - 120 HZ , Enable Motion smoothing OFF

I am a week into VR with the Index. I could not get a satisfactory performance in DCS with 120Hz. I have found a few things through trial and error:

- A low but steady framerate looks better to me than a higher but varying framerate. I noticed that when I look to the side there was a lot of stuttering/juddering, but by using fpsVR to display what is going on with the framerate, I noticed that the judders ALWAYS correspond to a change in framerate.

- Secondly, I noticed that if the game will not run at the headset refresh rate, it will cap at half the refresh rate. At 144 Hz, it will cap at 72 if DCS is between 72 and 144 hz, and so on. This is a good thing, a capped, steady framerate is much smoother. However, if it cannot run at half the refresh rate, it does not seem to drop to 1/3 or 1/4 or whatever the next increment would be. For example I would have expected that if the headset is set to 144Hz and DCS couldn't maintain 72, then it would cap at 48. However this doesn't seem to be the case. When the game frame rate is below half the headset refresh rate, steam VR it seems to allow the FPS to vary, causing all kinds of artifacts and juddering. If anyone can tell me of a way to make Steam VR cap the framerate at different multiples of the refresh rate I would be grateful!

Based on the above, I decided my goal was to get the smoothest animation with no hiccups (i.e. the most stable framerate), even if that meant not running at the highest possible framerate. I have ended up with the following:

- The headset is set to 80 Hz, and I am targeting 40 frames per second. I tried 90/45 but it is just that much easier to hit 40 fps more of the time.

- Once I am high in the air, especially over water, I was seeing the framerate start to bounce between 40 and 80, causing hiccups and visual artifacts. I now run "Riva Tuner Statistics Server" in the background to cap the framerate in DCS to 45 (specifically, to make sure it never reaches 80). Since it is below 80, Steam VR caps it at 40. A solid 40 looks far, far smoother to me than jumping between 40 and 80.

- I reduced settings in DCS until I could maintain 40 fps 95% of the time. Usually I have issues on the ground but once I am airborne I stay above 40 for the entire flight. It looks like ass with just about every setting on low but the feeling in the game is now really smooth. I can look sideways as I fly over trees and buildings at low altitude and no more stuttering, everything looks solid. Even though I am only seeing 40 fps the elimination of all the judders has almost completely eliminated any motion sickness I was feeling as well.

- I have SS at 200% in steam VR (150 and 134 for DCS) and PD at 1.0 in DCS and the cockpit looks pretty legible (F-14), but things in the distance look very pixelated. (I don't know that there is anything that can be done about that at 15 pixels per degree)

All in all I am finding VR in DCS to be a huge disappointment. The wow factor of actually being wrapped inside a 3D cockpit the first time is something I won't forget. The same goes for seeing how massive the tanker is during the first refuelling (which is much easier in VR with the depth cues).

Now that the novelty has worn off though, the reality of the crappy performance, the poor visibility due to the low resolution, and just how shitty DCS looks with everything on low is finally sinking in.

I built a PC specifically to play DCS in VR, and for 2 glorious weeks I had everything maxed in DCS for the first time while I was waiting for the headset to arrive. I was also getting 100fps on a 1440p monitor. It looked amazing! Now in VR it looks worse than my ancient PC I was playing on before.

Other games that don't have to render such large distances look amazing in VR though, so I think VR is definitely here to stay. I hope the combination of headset technology, PC power and DCS optimizations can come together soon to give a matching experience, because the sensation of height and motion in VR is astounding compared to sitting in front of a 2D monitor.

Does anyone know how to forcce a firmware update? I noticed the other day that someone mentioned a firmware update on SteamVR that I didn't see. Didn't think anything of it, but earlier I tried to access the Display Settings tab in VR, and just got a 'firnware update is necessary to access this' message.

I'm wondering the same. I thought there was a firmware update along with 1.8.20 but my devices all say up to date.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am a week into VR with the Index. I could not get a satisfactory performance in DCS with 120Hz. I have found a few things through trial and error:

- A low but steady framerate looks better to me than a higher but varying framerate. I noticed that when I look to the side there was a lot of stuttering/juddering, but by using fpsVR to display what is going on with the framerate, I noticed that the judders ALWAYS correspond to a change in framerate.

- Secondly, I noticed that if the game will not run at the headset refresh rate, it will cap at half the refresh rate. At 144 Hz, it will cap at 72 if DCS is between 72 and 144 hz, and so on. This is a good thing, a capped, steady framerate is much smoother. However, if it cannot run at half the refresh rate, it does not seem to drop to 1/3 or 1/4 or whatever the next increment would be. For example I would have expected that if the headset is set to 144Hz and DCS couldn't maintain 72, then it would cap at 48. However this doesn't seem to be the case. When the game frame rate is below half the headset refresh rate, steam VR it seems to allow the FPS to vary, causing all kinds of artifacts and juddering. If anyone can tell me of a way to make Steam VR cap the framerate at different multiples of the refresh rate I would be grateful!

Based on the above, I decided my goal was to get the smoothest animation with no hiccups (i.e. the most stable framerate), even if that meant not running at the highest possible framerate. I have ended up with the following:

- The headset is set to 80 Hz, and I am targeting 40 frames per second. I tried 90/45 but it is just that much easier to hit 40 fps more of the time.

- Once I am high in the air, especially over water, I was seeing the framerate start to bounce between 40 and 80, causing hiccups and visual artifacts. I now run "Riva Tuner Statistics Server" in the background to cap the framerate in DCS to 45 (specifically, to make sure it never reaches 80). Since it is below 80, Steam VR caps it at 40. A solid 40 looks far, far smoother to me than jumping between 40 and 80.

- I reduced settings in DCS until I could maintain 40 fps 95% of the time. Usually I have issues on the ground but once I am airborne I stay above 40 for the entire flight. It looks like ass with just about every setting on low but the feeling in the game is now really smooth. I can look sideways as I fly over trees and buildings at low altitude and no more stuttering, everything looks solid. Even though I am only seeing 40 fps the elimination of all the judders has almost completely eliminated any motion sickness I was feeling as well.

- I have SS at 200% in steam VR (150 and 134 for DCS) and PD at 1.0 in DCS and the cockpit looks pretty legible (F-14), but things in the distance look very pixelated. (I don't know that there is anything that can be done about that at 15 pixels per degree)

All in all I am finding VR in DCS to be a huge disappointment. The wow factor of actually being wrapped inside a 3D cockpit the first time is something I won't forget. The same goes for seeing how massive the tanker is during the first refuelling (which is much easier in VR with the depth cues).

Now that the novelty has worn off though, the reality of the crappy performance, the poor visibility due to the low resolution, and just how shitty DCS looks with everything on low is finally sinking in.

I built a PC specifically to play DCS in VR, and for 2 glorious weeks I had everything maxed in DCS for the first time while I was waiting for the headset to arrive. I was also getting 100fps on a 1440p monitor. It looked amazing! Now in VR it looks worse than my ancient PC I was playing on before.

Other games that don't have to render such large distances look amazing in VR though, so I think VR is definitely here to stay. I hope the combination of headset technology, PC power and DCS optimizations can come together soon to give a matching experience, because the sensation of height and motion in VR is astounding compared to sitting in front of a 2D monitor.

What are your PC specs?

I feel your pain with regards to DCS and VR. For me though, I'm in it for the online co-op and combat flying and am able to overlook a lot regarding visuals. That said I've a couple questions for you.

1. What are your specs? They are not in your sig.

2. Are you dead set on the Index?

3. What's your IPD?

Being completely honest, I would brave a narrower FOV and WMR if my IPD was in the range of the Reverb. Several of my squad mates have it and love it. There is one simple reason for this. The Reverb has a much higher native resolution than any other HMD on the market. Having a higher native resolution means you really do not need any SS to clean up the gaps in pixels other headsets like the Index have. This leads to another clear advantage of the Reverb over the rest; it takes MUCH less computing power to use it. Super Sampling is what KILLS our frame rates. Period. Yet we have to use it to get a good image, eliminate aliasing and so on. Unfortunately even the fastest system available for purchase isn't able to keep up because DCS can only utilize 1 core and 2 threads. Oh, and one of those threads is for audio only.

My advice is if you can use it, send the Index back or sell it on Ebay and buy the Reverb... If I could, I would in a heartbeat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know how to check the version, but out of the box I was able to update everything here:

ddvKCHp.png

What are your PC specs?

i9900k, 2080 super, 64Gb 3200hz ram

DCS finally runs fantastically at max settings on my monitor. VR is a different story.

I fear this is just the nature of the beast. VR involves not only rending the entire scene twice each time, but along the way there is extra processing to deal with the distortions created by the lenses in the headsets. This all means that the frame rates in VR will never be equal to what can be achieved on a monitor, and the low PPD means the clarity won't match a monitor for a while, especially something like a 4K monitor.

A great talk by one of Valve's VR engineers if you are interested and have the time:

1. What are your specs? They are not in your sig.

2. Are you dead set on the Index?

3. What's your IPD?

1. See above

2. I wanted the first headset to be something my gf and I could both use in games together. It has been a blast so far. I am definitely keeping it for that alone, although I had second thoughts when I realized how much better than me she is at beat saber :mad::)

3. I have an IPD of 70, and my gf is 58 :( Index was the only choice.

Having a higher native resolution means you really do not need any SS to clean up the gaps in pixels other headsets like the Index have. This leads to another clear advantage of the Reverb over the rest; it takes MUCH less computing power to use it. Super Sampling is what KILLS our frame rates. Period.

After all my testing with various settings I agree 100% with this!

I am committed for now even if it isn't the best option for DCS. At some point next year I will hopefully be in a position to upgrade my video card and get a second higher resolution headset just for simming.

Personally I don’t think would enjoy a headset with lower FOV no matter how good the resolution is. Checking six is already painful with the Index due to limited peripheral vision, this is especially apparent when you bank and roll after dropping bombs to confirms hits. It is almost like flying in 2D without TrackIR. The Pimax 8K might be a reasonable choice for me if the performance is decent

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Personally I don’t think would enjoy a headset with lower FOV no matter how good the resolution is. Checking six is already painful with the Index due to limited peripheral vision, this is especially apparent when you bank and roll after dropping bombs to confirms hits. It is almost like flying in 2D without TrackIR. The Pimax 8K might be a reasonable choice for me if the performance is decent

The Pimax 5K+ I had was a nightmare. If there's an HMD on the market that's not ready for prime time that's it. I had the Reverb for a couple days when I sent in my Index and I can attest to its clarity and also it's narrower FOV. I believe the FOV is smaller than the CV1. Looking through it with one eye closed was beautiful though lol. My IPD is 58 and if you read what HP says it should adjust +-8mm from its stock 63.5mm. Not true unfortunately. The slider in WMR only goes to 59 and left me a little cross eyed. Too much so to fly with it comfortably otherwise I'd still have it. The only thing I use the Index for is DCS. I'm still happy with the Index itself and of all the HMDs I've tried it's the highest quality rig there is. In truth, every module I have looks and performs great, except one. The Viper. Which happens to be the only module I fly now that it's out.

The only difference between mine or Supmua's rig and yours MPK is your GPU. That said, you should still be able to get good ( no judder) clarity and FPS of 45 with it. At least in the other modules. When I tried 1.4 PD again tonight, I had worse results than using my regular settings of 148%/138%. Each computer is different and subjective but once tweaked the Index will look and perform well. Except with the Viper.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Except with the Viper.

Speaking of the viper ... is something different about the size of everything in the F-16? I have the f-14/16/18 and I swear the world looks the same in the F-14 and F/A-18, but everything seems a tad smaller in the F-16. Is it just me?

It is a very small cockpit in RL. Set the Forced IPD in the VR tab in DCS to 53 and see what it looks like. If too big increase the IPD by 1 until it looks right.

IMG_2064_zpsxzjyr4gz.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Being completely honest, I would brave a narrower FOV and WMR if my IPD was in the range of the Reverb. Several of my squad mates have it and love it. There is one simple reason for this. The Reverb has a much higher native resolution than any other HMD on the market. Having a higher native resolution means you really do not need any SS to clean up the gaps in pixels other headsets like the Index have. This leads to another clear advantage of the Reverb over the rest; it takes MUCH less computing power to use it. Super Sampling is what KILLS our frame rates. Period. Yet we have to use it to get a good image, eliminate aliasing and so on. Unfortunately even the fastest system available for purchase isn't able to keep up because DCS can only utilize 1 core and 2 threads. Oh, and one of those threads is for audio only.

My advice is if you can use it, send the Index back or sell it on Ebay and buy the Reverb... If I could, I would in a heartbeat.

I would disagree with that. I owned the Reverb, and for me, the Index was a very clear winner and I sent the Reverb back.

Native resolution is the only advantage it had over the Index. In all other respects the Index was superior - build quality, size of sweet spot, comfort, audio, FOV, hardware IPD, tracking, controllers, etc. And, no WMR! Much more to a good HMD than just native res.

The Reverb requires more resources to push those extra pixels around, and that somewhat neutralises the advantage of requiring less for SS.

I have most settings at high, 204% SS, shadows at low and achieve a pretty rock solid 45fps. Cockpit clarity, in most cases, is absolutely fine.

I would be happy with more fps, but for the moment, I am very happy with VR and DCS.

I don't know how to check the version, but out of the box I was able to update everything here:

ddvKCHp.png

Thanks, but that’s where it says ‘up to date’ when clearly it’s not.

I think I’ll contact Steam support on this.

I’ve compared supersampling in SteamVR vs DCS for many hours yesterday. With DCS supersampling the textures seem a bit more steady, giving a cleaner look, with SteamVR supersampling the textures seems to vibrate more (Motion Smoothing ON, I’m not talking about the double image blur without motion smoothing).

I’ve found that even with PD 1.1 the textures seem more steady.

So instead of PD 1.0 and 200% in SteamVR, I’ve settled on PD 1.1 and 150% in SteamVR for now.

PD 1.2 or higher is too costly on framerate for me, and it doesn’t seem to offer much further improvement over SteamVR SS.

DCS settings:

PD 1.1

most other settings on high except Shadows flat and MSAA 2x

SteamVR settings:

Video: SS 100%

Application: SS 150%

Motion smoothing ON

Edited by fac851

i7-9700K, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti, Valve Index, SFX-100 motion

Are you using SteamVR stable or beta? When I had an Index it did drop to a third of framerate if it couldn't maintain half. So at 120 it would drop to 40 if it couldn't manage 60. I didn't see much difference between them when it did.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat