sling load problem

redshark

Do you mean that you can se the slingload via a mirror outside a window?

You can not see the slingload direct.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

he probably means the sling load view. where you put your head out the window and can look down at the load. its mapped to a button in the mi-8

its pretty much useless in VR though. too unnatural.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I was would think the Huey is to wide to use for vertical reference on right pilot side, and it at least would call for a bubble window or pilot door removed.

I think the most conversions on the Huey is making the left pilot position possible as aircraft commander(main pilot side) and also a bubble window.

DCS being a military game, it doesnt really match vertical reference jobs and the civilian mods for sling load.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

as the load is slung from the centre of gravity. either side provides the same view.

the left hand seat is prefered because you are then leaning over the collective instead of away from it, when leaning out and looking down, which gives you tighter control.

its one of those "9 out of 10 pilots prefer" things..

which means not everyone does it.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I don't know if it will help OP, but I made a MOD a while back I believe still work that adjust the head position when looking outside the door (or through it...):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3473897

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 7 months later...

Hi

Sling load is simmilary to refueling in air (F-14, F/A-18 etc) You can't do it "directly" watching at the basket, You should feel where are You looking at point before You, listening how far/left/right/up You are and just all :)

I feel like that slingload in the Huey is Natural.

When i start and approach my load, i pick out a reference point infront of me, be it a tree, rock, road or riverbed, dosent matter, any static reference point is valid. You use this to stabilise yourself during hover, listening in to the voice directing you whichever way the slingload is located.

Usually when picking up load i sit on the right side as i have good view of my EGT.

When the load is hooked, i continue to look at the reference point as i increase altitude slowly till the line is tight, then i switch my attention to my EGT while i continue to slowly increase collective, watching as the EGT rise and prevent it going redline.

When i drop the load, i switch to the left seat for increased visibility, the EGT isnt as important now as you are lowering collective, so theres no danger of redlining it, however you still have the Copilots VSPEED to look out for. Dont go below 500 feet per minute, or on the dial, the 5 inbetween the 0 and 1.

Approach head wind to avoid fighting the wind and the torque with the pedals at the same time, pick out a reference point on the ground ahead of the drop-location and simply lower altitude till you hear the voice call out sling load altitude.

Its not that hard once you've done it a few times and know what to look out for.

Norwegian Rotorhead w\ All Helicopters

Watercooled AMD FX-8350 | Geforce 1060 6GB | 16 GiG DDR3 | Warthog Everything w/ pendulum pedals | Rift VR

Watercooled AMD Ryzen 9500X | RTX 3080 12GB | 64 GB DDR4 3600mhz | Warthog Everything w/Pendulum Pedals | Rift VR (CV1)