Falcon v Viper

karlh

Why is the F-16C being called the Viper vs Falcon? copyright?

[SIZE="6"][SIZE="6"][FONT=Impact][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B][FONT=Arial Black]K A R L[/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="5"][FONT=Times New Roman][I7-4770k/16GB RAM/ GTX 1080/ Oculus Rift S] [/FONT] [/FONT][/SIZE]

Ahhhh. Thanks!

[SIZE="6"][SIZE="6"][FONT=Impact][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B][FONT=Arial Black]K A R L[/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="5"][FONT=Times New Roman][I7-4770k/16GB RAM/ GTX 1080/ Oculus Rift S] [/FONT] [/FONT][/SIZE]

• ED Team

Analogous to the A-10C. While the offical name is the Thunderbolt II, everyone that flies or works on it call is the Warthog or just 'Hog. Same with the F-16, everyone that works with the aircraft just calls it the Viper.

Thanks

• ED Team
probably something to do with its quick strike nature. it just stuck

A combination of looking like a snake ready to strike at some angles and the early YF-16 stick looked a lot like the Viper from Battlestar Galactica.

Thanks

the reason why it became known as the Viper is because when the F-16 was first introduced, the original Battlestar Galactica was on the air and the F-16 reminded pilots and maintainers of the Starfighter in it, the Colonial Viper.

It's also because from some angles it looks like a hooded snake from below

Same with the F-16, everyone that works with the aircraft just calls it the Viper.

Everyone in the US that is, in Europe we do not. But Viper is still cool :)

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Depends where in Europe. My brother flew it with the Danish airforce on exchange and they definitely called it the Viper.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

You bet, but as mentioned a bizillion times, we are modeling a USAF/ANG Blk 50 not an MLU.

Thanks

Oof, touché ;)

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm