A Few Questions from A New F14 Guy

melchionda

1.) Is there a way to permanetly turn off the control stick? Looks like you have to hit backspace everytime you enter the plane in order to turn it off? There is an option in the DCS UI where you can "Hide Control Stick" but it seems that it doesn't apply to the f14?

2.) The cockpit/interior of the F14 that I see is "aged" ie- scratched up to look used. However in some of the videos that I've seen I see a "New" looking cockpit. I definitely prefer a newer looking cockpit. Is that an option somewhere?

3.) When using Viacom Pro "AIRIO" add on, do you have to say "JESTER" at the start of every command? I thought that you would have to say that, but I find that he doesn't respond when I say "JESTER". On the other hand I just bark a command at him and he responds.

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

1. I don't know of one. I noticed the same thing: the setting doesn't actually do anything and I still have to hit the Backspace key. No big deal, but the setting is there, so.... :)

2. There are some mods that clean up the cockpit. A quick search found this one:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303911/?sphrase_id=3438495

I have no idea if it's any good or not, as I haven't used it, but check the comments and in the User Files section for others.

3. I have no idea because I don't use that program.

Since your questions have been answered, I hope, I just wanted to drop buy and welcome you to the Tomcat community. We hope you will enjoy it a lot. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. The community is very helpful, and if we can, we will help as well.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Since your questions have been answered, I hope, I just wanted to drop buy and welcome you to the Tomcat community. We hope you will enjoy it a lot. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. The community is very helpful, and if we can, we will help as well.

Thanks. Your F14 module is a true work of art and I've decided it will be the next plane that I learn. Not an easy decision as I have the F18, F16, Huey, and Gazelle also. I've got a lot of configuration to do before I can really start to learn it so I'll be asking a bunch of questions over the next few weeks. My hope is that I figure this out to the point that I can get my sons flying with me as a RIO + Pilot combo.

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I'm trying to figure out which of the functions I need to map to my button box to launch the the F14 off of the Super Carrier. Its my understanding that it works different from he F18 where there is only one command (Salute). I'm doing this all in VR so I want to map these functions to my button box.

Here are the features I think that I need.

1.) Line up "cheat" (if necessary to straighten the plan on the cat track)

2.) Pilot Salute (I think this is Lshft+LCntrl+S)

3.) Request Launch (Is this LShift+U ?)

Does anyone know what the keystrokes are, what the commands are called and where I can find them in the controls list?

or...

Is there a place that describes this process I've seen some videos but they rely on the comms menu (I dont want to do that) and the manual only talks about LShift+LCntrl+S)

Have a look in Chuck's brilliant F-14B guide, p190+

Press “LSHIFT+U” to salute the Shooter

I think the SC lines you up automatically

:thumbup:

Hi folks!

The F-14B guide is finally here. Enjoy!

Link: https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-f-14b-tomcat/

As stated in the disclaimer, please take note that this document has been created for recreative purposes only and cannot be used for training or real life flying. All the information within this document is taken from public documentation (i.e. Heatblur F-14 Wiki) and non-official tutorials (player-made videos on Youtube) only.

I wanted to thank the Heatblur team for their awesometacular work; the Tomcat is nothing short of a stellar product and their F-14 wiki has to be one of the best sources of public information I have ever seen. I also wanted to thank Jabbers in particular for the incredible amount of effort he put to create his video tutorials. The incredible amount of research and effort that went into it is self-evident and being the “first” to come up with detailed tutorials is always a hard and tedious task.

Have a look in Chuck's brilliant F-14B guide, p190

Thanks... I hadn't seen that before. I've downloaded it and I'm going to try to print it for bedtime reading. :-)

Sean

Thanks... I hadn't seen that before. I've downloaded it and I'm going to try to print it for bedtime reading. :-)

Sean

Just a small point, Chuck advises a positive 15 curvature for you stick. I would advise against any curve at all. Linear input works best, even without any extensions. Only try out different curves after you find her hard to control after say, several dozen hours of flight time (including precision flight). :thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache