Hi

Passero

Hi all... I'm new in the DCS world and enjoying it so far... I started playing it by accident to be honest...

My 7 year old son is into VR so I was looking into some great VR experiences. Because I bought my VR gear for sim racing, I never thought about flight sims although I am an avid flight simmer, but with FSX and never thought about VR....

It's amazing to play this game in VR. Currently I'm using the rift but I pre ordered the HP reverb g2 and can't wait... The rift is just not enough. I can't read the numbers on the dials which is annoying...

I've got a 2080ti and 10700k with 32GB Ram so I should be able to run DCS fine with the g2 but might have to lower some graphics settings... But at least I will be able to read the cockpit properly.

One thing I'd like to understand is how complex the modern jets are? At the moment I'm focusing on the WWII planes. My first plane is the P51 Mustang as I also have the most experience with propeller planes in FSX (the A2A Cessna). So it didn't take me long to do a full cold start and do some circuit flying.

I'm scared to venture in the dark hole of jets as they seem so complex. They seem amazing to fly but the jump from a WWII plane to a jet seems a bit to much for me to handle...

I'm also very intrigued with the mission editor. I already created my own training missions for the P51 to do some air to ground practice and dog fight practice. I definitely want to go deeper into the tool and see what's possible.

Plenty of stuff to do and so little time :)

Hey, and welcome!

Modern jets are quite complex and intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of them they become quite intuitive. They're meant to be used by humans in stressful combat situations after all! :thumbup:

Personally, when in doubt, I'd recommend you to start with a slightly older and less advanced jet. The leap from WW2 to modern becomes more managable that way.

The L-39 is a very safe bet and has limited air to air and air to ground capabilities. It might become boring quite quickly though, so perhaps the F-5 is something to consider! Weapons wise it's only slightly more capable but it has a radar and afterburners and it's been in service all around the world!

Edited by Flanking Moustache

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind.

For now I'll have some fun with the WWII planes. Later on I'll get the channel map and maybe the Spitfire and Thunderbolt so plenty of stuff to do.

If I get bored with the WWII planes I'll have a look at the F5. That'll open up an entirely new game.

Welcome to the club Passero! It's always nice to see new faces (or names :D)!

Flanking Moustache is spot on with his comment. Modern jets can be quiet daunting at first, especially if you have no knowledge about modern military avionics (radar, RWR, data link, ...) and weapons. But if you dig into it you will eventually get the hang of it. Just don't try to learn everythign at once. Take step after step :)

I also totally agree with his aircraft recommendation. If you're entirely new to modern air combat, then it might be a good choice to start with an older jet with less complicated avionics. The L-39 is theoretically a good start, as it's a well made jet trainer aircraft, but I would recommend the F-5 instead, because the F-5 has western instruments (like most of the modern jets in DCS) and is a true combat aircraft which means more fun ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hello Passero,

the F-5 might be a very good choice, I think so too.

The aircraft is not too complex, it give a great amount of systems though.

It is a "good" DCS module in my opinion, since there are not much bugs.

I would say that this module is the most "finished" one out of my collection (see below).

It is a fun to use in the air-to-ground role.

I love to fly it, despite I have all "computers" like F-18, F-16, ...

In the end I enjoy the sight of the Tiger, its dynamics, the engines, the systems, the cockpit, and the shape of the aircraft very much.

If you decide for, I am sure you will not be unhappy with it.

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

ok great thx! I'll put the F5 on my wishlist.

When you have the module in hands and worked a little bit into it, give me a call if you wanna do a ride over MP .. :)

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1