L-39 Albatros Tutorial

Redsavina

Aight,

Based on some recent forum recommendations, I watched some startup videos on the L-39 Albatros, and got the manual for the plane.

This time, I walked through the cold startup tutorial, and successfully made it through!

I had to Google search why I couldn't get the engine power to 60....I discovered there was a throttle lock and the tutorial doesn't mention that to you. I probably need to program that key to a HOTAS button.

Oh, the ground steering was super freaky. Had to look that up, and discovered how to actually manage ground steering, so I am good there too now.

I was able to take off, fly around, follow the programmed heading to return, and successfully land and park the plane where I started.

Not sure why I couldnt put the landing flaps on during my approach. I think there are speed limits, but I need to look that one up. The button pressed, but the flaps didnt switch. Still had a sweet landing though!

What a satisfying experience. I am now learning what DCS World is really about, and I love it so far!

I think I will do all of the tutorials for the L-39 Albatros, since thats why I got the plane....to learn how to fly in this game. I can tackle the other planes once I feel competent in the Albatros.

Nicely done!

Yeah the flaps thing is probably airspeed related.

You'll find the throttle lock (we commonly call it the Idle Stop or whatever) is an extremely common thing for DCS Study Level aircraft. Seems to be a common theme for real combat jets all over the world.. they just about all have them. It might have been in the tutorial mission but I would have to check.

I personally don't assign any joystick buttons to this control. It's very easy to learn (or even make an educated guess...about the same for all modules).

You're only ever going to use it in normal operations while stopped on the ground, or else as a part of inflight emergencies.. where you'll likely only press it once.

My personal suggestion is that you have a lot more important things you could bind, but to each their own.

Just finished the 4th training mission in the L-39 Albatros, and its going great so far.

Um, I need to mess with the flaps more. I tried to deploy them on my last approach, and I was at like 200km/h at 600m and the flaps wouldnt deploy. I had the landing gear down already too. All 3 flap selections work just fine on the ground, and I can successfully put the flaps up after takeoff. Kinda weird, huh?

• 1 month later...
Just finished the 4th training mission in the L-39 Albatros, and its going great so far.

Um, I need to mess with the flaps more. I tried to deploy them on my last approach, and I was at like 200km/h at 600m and the flaps wouldnt deploy. I had the landing gear down already too. All 3 flap selections work just fine on the ground, and I can successfully put the flaps up after takeoff. Kinda weird, huh?

You might have been going too fast, flaps will not extend beyond 300 kph.

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria