Replacing the Su-25T with the A-10A?

ResonantCard1

Hi all, been thinking about the Su-25T and its place in DCS. While I absolutely agree on having a free plane to try out new things and get the feeling of flying and all, I find the Su-25T's progression potential to be rather limited. Because yes you learn the basics of flight and combat, but in terms of systems and instruments it's kind of a dead end. It leads to the FC3 russian planes, and to the Ka-50. The Ka-50 shares enough with it thanks to the Shkval and the Vikhrs, the FC3 planes are...there, and they just share some of the instruments and all that. DCS is dominated by US modules, whose instruments, systems and philosophy is radically different to that of the Su-25T.

Meanwhile, we have the A-10A. It's a plane that isn't just as iconic as it can get, but also opens the doors to the US lineup in DCS, specially to the A-10C. With the release of the A-10C 2, many people would like to try out the plane as it wouldn't be an old module anymore. Giving them the chance to see what a low-fidelity A-10 can do could very easily sell them the full fidelity module. It'd help the players to get used to the main US weapons and instruments, and use the famous BRRRRRRT gun.

So why not replacing the Su-25T with the A-10A as free module? Or maybe having both (I know this is a bit of an stretch). As for the people who bought the A-10A, they will still have access to it as it would be the free plane, and they could get access to the Su-25T instead. The people who bought FC3 would have the same deal, replace the A-10A with the Su-25T in terms of paid plane.

I think this could be benificial in the long run, as the A-10 would blend more easily with the rest of the DCS lineup, and it's a damn A-10. As much as I like the Su-25T, the advantages of getting the A-10A are pretty clear.

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

If possible at all i think it would be nice the have them both as free modules. It will still allow new players to get a taste if SEAD with the 25t and give people access to the oh so iconic a10.

I know this is a long shot, but i still want to put it out there.

EDIT: spelling error

Edited by tomkiudduik

I think this would be very sensible and aid new players introduction to DCS. This is particularly relevant given the impending release of the A10C-II, likely boosting interest in it.

I agree with OP on all points, and would strongly support such a decision as both a FC3 and A10C owner. I have personally had significant difficulty introducing friends to DCS as the Su-25t just didn't have the appeal the A10A would have had to get 'their feet wet' before considering purchasing their first module.

*Addedum based on my discord post:

I did manage to introduce those friends, but it took multiple years. I think having a low fidelity US plane (A10 a good example) would be very useful for introducing new players. I have no qualms about seeing such a plane being made free as a FC3 owner either, I think it would help significantly in allowing the growth of the community. I think many of us can draw a parallel with the recommendation of 'get the plane you are most interested in' that is often given to newcomers to DCS looking for their first purchase. By having a (low fidelity) plane that they are already likely more familiar and interested with (for the English speaking population, any of the current FC3 US lineup) this would make introduction and player retention a lot easier, based on my experience discussing this with friends that I have introduced to the sim.

It is anecdotal experience in the end, but from conversations on this discord and the forum I think it holds true for a significant proportion of the DCS (would-be) playerbase.

Edited by Aarnoman

This sounds dumb.

SU-25T is pretty versatile, has a "tpod", A-10A is not very much so and its engines die after getting hit by 3 AK rounds, its kinda not very fun.

Instead of putting in another ground attack plane as free, they should have 1 ground attack 1 fighter and 1 helicopter as free so people can experience the game more.

No one is going to be upset if they put the MIG29 as a free module, no one ever flies that plane.

The only work they'd need to do is to port their internal FC3 style huey or something into the live client.

None of this will ever happen of course so whatever.

Edited by sadfunda

This sounds dumb.

SU-25T is pretty versatile, has a "tpod", A-10A is not very much so and its engines die after getting hit by 3 AK rounds, its kinda not very fun.

Instead of putting in another ground attack plane as free, they should have 1 ground attack 1 fighter and 1 helicopter as free so people can experience the game more.

No one is going to be upset if they put the MIG29 as a free module, no one ever flies that plane.

The only work they'd need to do is to port their internal FC3 style huey or something into the live client.

None of this will ever happen of course so whatever.

Mig-29 is one of my favourite planes to fly in DCS, am i nobody?

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

No desire to have them swapped, much prefer the Su-25T

+1

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria

I think this would be very sensible and aid new players introduction to DCS. This is particularly relevant given the impending release of the A10C-II, likely boosting interest in it.

I agree with OP on all points, and would strongly support such a decision as both a FC3 and A10C owner. I have personally had significant difficulty introducing friends to DCS as the Su-25t just didn't have the appeal the A10A would have had to get 'their feet wet' before considering purchasing their first module.

*Addedum based on my discord post:

I did manage to introduce those friends, but it took multiple years. I think having a low fidelity US plane (A10 a good example) would be very useful for introducing new players. I have no qualms about seeing such a plane being made free as a FC3 owner either, I think it would help significantly in allowing the growth of the community. I think many of us can draw a parallel with the recommendation of 'get the plane you are most interested in' that is often given to newcomers to DCS looking for their first purchase. By having a (low fidelity) plane that they are already likely more familiar and interested with (for the English speaking population, any of the current FC3 US lineup) this would make introduction and player retention a lot easier, based on my experience discussing this with friends that I have introduced to the sim.

It is anecdotal experience in the end, but from conversations on this discord and the forum I think it holds true for a significant proportion of the DCS (would-be) playerbase.

The A10A is a very affordable module for those that refuse to fly a real plane like the rook.

Mig-29 is one of my favourite planes to fly in DCS, am i nobody?

Cause I have never seen anyone fly it in DCS multiplayer, especially the A version. I wouldn't be surprised if its the least flown fighter in DCS.

That said hoggit added the 29S and its pretty cool low-mid tech kind of feeling plane, its nice to see it in the lineup on a server finally.

Shame the r77 is still a trash missile.

Being a good deal more radical, how about a weapon-less F18?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Cause I have never seen anyone fly it in DCS multiplayer, especially the A version. I wouldn't be surprised if its the least flown fighter in DCS.

That said hoggit added the 29S and its pretty cool low-mid tech kind of feeling plane, its nice to see it in the lineup on a server finally.

Shame the r77 is still a trash missile.

R27 to force opponent defensive then R73 or R60 for the kill , have seen many people sucessfully defeat spamraam armed fighters this way. In the end all air combat is much to do with the pilots skill. Not saying i have that level of skill but have seen plenty superb Mig and Sukhoi flyers since getting into DCS.

On a side note, i fly the 29A in mp all the time but i have been stubbornly sticking with release version until Syria map was out, will likely go back to release version once Syria is out of EA because i am that guy:)

R27 to force opponent defensive then R73 or R60 for the kill , have seen many people sucessfully defeat spamraam armed fighters this way. In the end all air combat is much to do with the pilots skill. Not saying i have that level of skill but have seen plenty superb Mig and Sukhoi flyers since getting into DCS.

On a side note, i fly the 29A in mp all the time but i have been stubbornly sticking with release version until Syria map was out, will likely go back to release version once Syria is out of EA because i am that guy:)

To fly the MiG-29 and provide an equally dangerous opponent for NATO you need:

- A fast-thinking GCI that is well aware of how every BVR fight and all missile ranges. MiG-29 versions in DCS are ancient soviet ones that are meant to be fully controlled by GCI. Dont make too many decisions on your own, its all the GCIs job. Dont like it? Ask the developers for MiG-29K/SMT (built for being able to work independently) or fly the flanker, which is also built to be able to work independently.

- At least one other fighter flying near you, if possible even a wingman on comms with you. This can even just be a MiG-21 also controlled by GCI, but you need this secondary factor to add more chaos and make your higher speed R-27ER effective.

- Most importantly: A SERVER NOT PUTTING YOU UP AGAINST POST 1990s WEAPONS. This means no BVR missiles newer than AIM-120Bs. As of right now, these playable (and populated) servers are:

BF Syria Modern (partially 90s)

BF Persian Gulf Modern (partially 90s)

BF caucasus 80s (fully 80s, R-27R and AIM-7 only).

If youre planning on flying russian aircraft or the J-11A, i recommend not flying on any other servers. Want to compete with AIM-120C, 9X, SD-10? Ask the developers for MiG-29K/SMT, Su-27SM3, Su-30MKI or something similar.

Edited by Max1mus

• 1 month later...

MiG-29 is one of the most potent aircarft in DCS, if used correctly. It's super fast and accelerates like a rocket. IMHO it's unmatched in dogfights. Sure, you can't expect to dominate the skies against AMRAAMs, but with a good CGI/AWACS and a wingman you can really mess up some blue adverseries.

Was and still is my favourite plane in DCS.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉