HY-2 Silkworm

Chizh

• ED Team

There is a question on HY-2 Silkworm.

Maybe someone knows what radar is used in the coastal ASM HY-2 Silkworm missile site?

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

I suppose can be a copy of the old S-2 antiship missile complex radars

http://weaponsystems.net/weaponsystem/DD06%20-%20S-2%20Sopka%20(SS-C-2%20Samlet).html

A typical S-2 Sopka battery consists of the following components:

4x B-163 trailer mounted launch rails. The trailer has two axles with double wheels, two jacks and two outriggers. The launch rail holds a single S-2 missile and can be rotated -85 to +85 degrees.

8x PR-15 single axle trailers used to transport and reload S-2 missiles.

1x Mys, Russian for Cape trailer mounted target detection radar.

1 or 2x Burun trailer mounted target ranging radar.

1 or 2x S-1M trailer mounted fire control radar.

On spanish

http://secretoscuba.cultureforum.net/t15722-grupos-de-cohetes-costerossopkacolinahistoria#163260

1x Mius Search radar with 100 Nm Range

1x Burun target ranging radar with 50 Nm Range

1x S-1 fire control radar with 50 Nm Range

Some pics with 4K40 launchers and associate radars.

http://cubaaldescubierto.com/?p=1982

The Chinese system has unknown.

• ED Team
I suppose can be a copy of the old S-2 antiship missile complex radars

http://weaponsystems.net/weaponsystem/DD06%20-%20S-2%20Sopka%20(SS-C-2%20Samlet).html

A typical S-2 Sopka battery consists of the following components:

On spanish

http://secretoscuba.cultureforum.net/t15722-grupos-de-cohetes-costerossopkacolinahistoria#163260

1x Mius Search radar with 100 Nm Range

1x Burun target ranging radar with 50 Nm Range

1x S-1 fire control radar with 50 Nm Range

Some pics with 4K40 launchers and associate radars.

http://cubaaldescubierto.com/?p=1982

The Chinese system has unknown.

Very interesting! Thanks Dragon!

But I suspect that the Chinese have developed some kind of their own mobile radar.

Edited by Chizh

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

S-2 Sopka battery is correct approach here.

Also, I think Iran would develop their own coastal search and target acquisition system.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

hey, it is SQUARE TIE.

quoting international electronic countermeasures handbook p. 140

Initial detection is carried out by a type 254 radar, a version of the russian MR-331 Rangout (SQUARE TIE) the latter is a small, lightweight search radar operating in the I-band with a range of 130 km. it also acts as a fire control radar in larger vessels...

this source at least says it doesn't have any sort of midflight update capability and just flies into a terminal active using midcourse INS/GPS. so the radar serves only as target ID/orientation and not as any sort of guidance system apparently.

Edited by Cik

Could be something known or domestic...

hey, it is SQUARE TIE.

quoting international electronic countermeasures handbook p. 140

this source at least says it doesn't have any sort of midflight update capability and just flies into a terminal active using midcourse INS/GPS. so the radar serves only as target ID/orientation and not as any sort of guidance system apparently.

I am sure this is applicable to ship-borne missiles as Square Tie is ship-borne itself. However, if we take 4K51 Rubezh system as an example you could be right as well.

Land-based missile batteries used to operate three radars as per S-2 Sopka (that's in the '60s though).

Modern Mys-M1E (trailer based) and MR-10M1E (stationary mast) combine the roles -- http://roe.ru/eng/catalog/naval-systems/stationary-electronic-systems/mr-10m1e/

Also, as Iran is apparently capable of manufacturing HY-2 missiles, it could be also true they can use something they built themselves, like Afagh coastal radar mounted on the truck.

"The truck-mounted radar associated with the HY-2 system provides surveillance and target detection facilities and is also stated to perform target tracking. The design apparently originates from a Soviet naval search radar and probably operates in the C-band of the spectrum"

This could also mean a truck with MR-331 Rangout (Square Tie) (as per Cik) or 3Ts-25 Garpun surface search radar.

Edited by Gierasimov
additional info

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I am sure this is applicable to ship-borne missiles as Square Tie is ship-borne itself.

Land-based missile batteries used to operate three radars as per S-2 Sopka (that's in the '60s though).

OK, so after some fairly concentrated digging i haven't been able to find conclusive proof that SQUARE TIE radars exist in iranian service, but i have turned up some evidence that

1. square tie radars (standalone land based) exist and

2. they were exported by china in the past

(see: SQUARE TIE export to bangladesh near the top)

sources: https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1119/MR1119.appa.pdf

i'm fairly convinced at this point that it's the square tie. nothing else i can find else fits the pattern of "surface-surface FCR" of that particular age. there are a bunch of other ship-based FCRs in the modern PLAN service but nothing it would make sense (imo) to integrate with an ancient ASHM.

Edited by Cik

Radar 2031

That radar looks like Afagh to me.

• 3 years later...
9 minutes ago, buceador said:

The Silkworm's radar shows as a "U" on the RWR but is not visible from the HARM's  page? Any way to lock it up for a HARM launch?

The Mys-M1 is surface-search only, so not sure whether it would be classified as a threat emitter for aircraft, and as such I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be classified on the RWR and HARM.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

22 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

The Mys-M1 is surface-search only, so not sure whether it would be classified as a threat emitter for aircraft, and as such I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be classified on the RWR and HARM.

Understood but it would still be cool to be able to take them out with a HARM!

• 3 months later...

Seeing as there is a post on the termite (a variant, I suppose), I will post this here.

This is the closest video, image, manual I have personally found to seeing what is done to fire silkworm. This is on an ex East German Tarantul missile boat. Note the gentleman talks about sending info from the 3TS 25E radar to the fire control unit (A3K?). The antenna of this radar looks markedly similar to the land based systems, in some cases inverted, on some upright. The fire control unit has many circular dials beneath indicator windows, which are beneath the auto populate button for guidance parameters. It is mentioned Regime 1 is a visual launch regime. It seems to me the radar is not a necessary component in engaging with the missiles, at least on the naval versions. Of course, it's much, much better than the eyes but it does seem an emission free attack with IR missiles is possible with external spotting support or with visual contact. 

• Like 1