Eyepoint on this plane...

I typically fly this plane but I've noticed the other DCS planes do this as well:

When I start something like a Takeoff mission, I'm in the cockpit near the dash and the eyepoint backs out and then stops at some predetermined location. What is happening here? And... What is the correct eyepoint to best avoid the fishbowl effect when one has it set too far back? I'd like to best replicate the view as the "average real pilot" would see (height, forward, etc...)...

Thanks. Is there a such thing as a downloadable manual for DCS and each of the planes. I know there is supposed to be at least a .pdf for each plane but they are not yet part of 2.0... Can I get the .pdfs for the planes and the DCS simulation anywhere else that would explain things like the numpad enter key or is this tribal knowledge?

Thanks. Is there a such thing as a downloadable manual for DCS and each of the planes. I know there is supposed to be at least a .pdf for each plane but they are not yet part of 2.0... Can I get the .pdfs for the planes and the DCS simulation anywhere else that would explain things like the numpad enter key or is this tribal knowledge?

Well, I don't know if the numpad enter key is "tribal knowledge" as you call it, or it is in some manual somewhere.

(I didn't know it.)

For the aircraft manuals, they are there for each aircraft in the aircraft's own folder path.

Like this:

"*\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\<aircraft name>\Doc"

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I typically fly this plane but I've noticed the other DCS planes do this as well:

When I start something like a Takeoff mission, I'm in the cockpit near the dash and the eyepoint backs out and then stops at some predetermined location. What is happening here? And... What is the correct eyepoint to best avoid the fishbowl effect when one has it set too far back? I'd like to best replicate the view as the "average real pilot" would see (height, forward, etc...)...

Hi Cavemanhead,

you can avoid the auto zoom out when spawning by manually zoom in or out just before you hit the fly button. In fact, you only need to press your zoom in/out button just once and the auto zoom stops immediately.

Regarding your fish bowl effect question. The fish bowl effect is a result of too high fov (field of view) for your resolution. You can edit this in the modules Views.lua file in the root dir of the module. You might want to take look over here too.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2656026&postcount=61

Regarding the eye point position. You can edit this as well in the Views.lua file. Open the views.lua of the TF-51 in comparison to the 109s one and you will see what i mean. I want to encourage you to use the search function of the forum. There are lots of threads/posts about this.

greez mugen

GIGABYTE Z690 Aorus Elite | i5-12600K | 32 GB DDR4 | 2x 980 NVMe | RTX 4090 | OR CV1 | Pimax 8K | PC360 | 34UM95 | 38GN950 | TIR5 + Track Clip Pro | T-50CM2 | TM Warthog + 27,5 cm extension | MFG Crosswind | Win10Pro x64

Hi Cavemanhead,

you can avoid the auto zoom out when spawning by manually zoom in or out just before you hit the fly button. In fact, you only need to press your zoom in/out button just once and the auto zoom stops immediately.

Regarding your fish bowl effect question. The fish bowl effect is a result of too high fov (field of view) for your resolution. You can edit this in the modules Views.lua file in the root dir of the module. You might want to take look over here too.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2656026&postcount=61

Regarding the eye point position. You can edit this as well in the Views.lua file. Open the views.lua of the TF-51 in comparison to the 109s one and you will see what i mean. I want to encourage you to use the search function of the forum. There are lots of threads/posts about this.

greez mugen

Thanks for info... I've been operating under a few assumptions:

1) FOV was intimately tied to the eye point... The further back one sits relative to reality, the more fishbowl things would be... What you describe makes it sound like FOV and eye point are segregated things...

2) DCS would have made the nominal default eye point "perfect" for each plane by default... In other words, when I'm in the cockpit of a 109 and my eyeball is exactly 24" from the instrument panel, then in the sim it would be close to that (set via some "average pilot model", etc...)

Hm,

sorry i think i wasn't clear enough.

When i used the word eye point, i had the head position inside the cockpit in mind and thought you too.

BTW, do you know this thread.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96116

If I'm not completely wrong, then PeterPs mod is like what we have today in game (In fact, i think i read somewhere in the above link/thread or somewhere else on the forum, that PeterPs mod made it into the game. But I'm not sure enough about this).

Ok, this is how i understand the DCS View system (6DOF).

Eye point is where the camera is (what you see on the screen).

The camera/eye point pans with a radius (distance from neck to eye ball) around your neck, when you turn your head ingame.

when you turn more than 90°, your neck additionally pans around a point somewhere between your neck and your shoulder (but this wasn't your question).

Zoom, in game, changes the current user value of FoV.

In the file Views.lua, you can define FoV limits (min, max) and set a value for default FoV, to match your monitor situation.

The main point here is the aspect ratio, like 16:9, 21:9 or maybe 48:9 if you have a tripple screen setup.

This is where max FoV and the fishbowl effect plays its role.

Head movement in game (compare TIR xyz axis) does not affect FoV.

When i was talking about the eye point position, in my previous post, i was actually referring to the head position inside the cockpit.

This head position inside the cockpit, the origin if you like, can be edited in the Views.lua file.

Again, this is how i understand this.

greez mugen

GIGABYTE Z690 Aorus Elite | i5-12600K | 32 GB DDR4 | 2x 980 NVMe | RTX 4090 | OR CV1 | Pimax 8K | PC360 | 34UM95 | 38GN950 | TIR5 + Track Clip Pro | T-50CM2 | TM Warthog + 27,5 cm extension | MFG Crosswind | Win10Pro x64

Hmmm... I think we're nearly on the same page. When I say eyepoint, I do mean the head position - or more specifically, my eyeball position as a part of my virtual head in the sim... I've been assuming that when the view recedes back from the instrument panel after the "fly" button is pressed that the view is settling to the correct head position for that particular plane such that if I could transport myself to the real cockpit seat, I'd be seeing the same thing...

So, is the default position considered the "correct eyepoint" for a given plane?

I started suspecting it was not when I saw a small fishbowl effect but it sounds like that is another set of values in the .lua file... I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor... Looks like some hunting is in order to get things "right"...