Landing in the Bf 109K-4

fjacobsen

Coldstart-Takeoff-Landing vid:

Hmm, having issues embedding youtube to this forum.

Just leave leave this part off:

between youtube tags.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice! ^

Here's my first attemp with 10m/s sidewind from right. Forget to straighten her out just before touchdown but at least plane stayed intact...sort of :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice! ^

Here's my first attemp with 10m/s sidewind from right. Forget to straighten her out just before touchdown but at least plane stayed intact...sort of :D

haha, nice :). I need to try a crosswind landing tonight.

Was pretty funny watching the stick as soon as you touched down. I could sense the panic :D

haha, nice :). I need to try a crosswind landing tonight.

Was pretty funny watching the stick as soon as you touched down. I could sense the panic :D

Yeah almost shat my pants :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I hope that they made the beach shoreline wider in the WW II map. In this map it is just too narrow and curvy to land with the hope of minimal damage. With this pilot anyway, and not having much confidence of success consistently, as I approach.

nice and wide in Clod :P

Launcher_2013_12_21_17_06_48_936_zpsbfc4eebe.png

Edited by GT 5.0

It'l be easier if you set the wind from the left! ;-)

Watch it in this track ( I can't record videos yet :-( )

Hey jcomm, nice track! You were right, with crosswind from the left the K4 is really is a bitch to take-off and land.

I tried a 15 m/s (54kph) crosswind from 90 degrees left today and I have some advice: DON'T DO IT!

If DSC reflects the real thing, it would be ridiculous to even attempt this in real life. I'm sure that if pilots HAD to scramble in such conditions, they would at least take the opposite side of the runway placing the wind at their right.

Anyway, I tried it about 20 times today and managed to take-off around 10 times (can be discribed more as an epileptic seizure than an attempt at controlled flight), and to land a total of one time without the wing scraping the asphalt... Although when I reviewed the track it stall-crashed 3 meters above the runway. That's probably due to the wind and I understand, no proof, thus it never happned ;)

For your amusement: one of my spastic take-offs. As DCS says in the loading screen and in game: Runway is closed, please wait. Take that advice =)

I just read about 109 landings as experienced by her WWII pilots, and it seems as if the slats are always extended during landing, stabilizing the wings:

"During landings the leading edge slats were fully open."

--and --

"The Me was stable on landings. The quickly reacting automatic wing slats negated any swaying on slow speeds and made it possible to make "stall landings"."

^^^ This does not seem to be the case in the DCS version.

Edit: I just did three successful landings in a row -- and by successful I mean without the wingtips hitting the tarmac.

I did the following: a) pulling back hard on the stick upon touching down with airspeed around ~150 km/h, and b) hitting the wheel brakes equally hard at the same time. I kept this configuration (full brakes and stick back) until the speed was more manageable.

Braking hard right away, and with the tail wheel firmly on the ground thanks to the stick fully aft, helped stabilize the 109 down the runway in a beautiful way. What fun! :)

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Whow! Great control of the aircraft! Congrats!!!! Also great graphics and colours!

What are you using? SweetFX?

Thanks, it really gets the heart pounding!

I use the latest version of Mustangs DCS shader mod, I can really recommend it!

EDIT: find it in this forum thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=113374

Edited by =FoReIgNeR=

o.k. after countless attemps landing the 109 I found a method that works for me

approach the runway with ca 200 km/h

Gear and Flaps down (obviously)

Trimm noseheavy (Trimmer +2)

make sure the Tailwheel is locked (!!!)

shortly before the runway set thtottle to 0

flare her very very gently to the minimum speed

after touchdown set the Stick full back

apply brakes and compensate with the aileron until you reach taxi speed

I added a track...maybe it is helpfull:)

landing the 109.trk

My Specs:

I don`t care..it is a Computer..a black one..

re-post of this

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Trimm noseheavy (Trimmer +2)

even with the manual stating -3? on the trimm, i actualy tried those +2 last week and it works wonderfull for me. doing it almost identical as lizzard there, and got enough confidence to try something stupid on the VA server :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=109168&stc=1&d=1418217537

came to close to the hill on landing, but hey :D

funny by the way: with that road going uphill, the landing was much more easy than i thought!

RR

Screen_141208_201304.thumb.jpg.948a1e24a1e883b3e04e0aec2528d38f.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

My deadstick landing of the day:

I really needed to down this guy because he put some .50 cal into my immaculate K4, but unfortunately things got a bit cosy... Dead prop, gear failed to extend (Bosch horn is whining), emergency gear lever (yay, it extended) and dead stick landing. All in a days work =)

so it took ca. 54 kph away from your landing speed, fair enough i'd say ;)

does anyone know, how fast WWII carriers were driving when planes landed?

regards,

RR

They would steam as fast as practical into the wind, so maybe around 30kt, modern supercarriers are only slightly faster at around 35kt.

That is a good reduction on your landing speed, 30kt is about 55km/h so with a 10kt head wind you could take 73km/h off your landing speed.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Landing the 109? Pffft, easy as pie.

Don't even need wing tips or ailerons!

You'll need to skip to about the 9 minute mark for the stupidity which leads to fun :)

(Please excuse my terrible flying, think my stick is on the way out and it's the first time I've done any flying in weeks)

BF109 landing without wingtips.trk

Edited by Buzzles