Single Engine Restart procedure using APU - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-18-2017, 04:10 AM   #21
Snoopy
Veteran

Reputation power: 105
Snoopy has much to be proud ofSnoopy has much to be proud ofSnoopy has much to be proud ofSnoopy has much to be proud ofSnoopy has much to be proud ofSnoopy has much to be proud ofSnoopy has much to be proud ofSnoopy has much to be proud ofSnoopy has much to be proud ofSnoopy has much to be proud ofSnoopy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
I'm referencing the -1 but the DCS manual is the same.

I am reporting that when I do the directed 7 steps I do not get an engine restart. There is no need to be upset about facts. We are either doing different steps getting different results or doing the same steps and getting different results.

(Affected) Off
APU Start
APU Gen Pwr
(Operating) Max
(Affected) Motor
(Affected) Start
(Affected) Norm

In each step I am allowing enough time for all relevant parameters to stabilize before continuing.
Obviously you're not, and you're not listening. As soon as you place the throttle over the hump set the switch from MOTOR to NORM and it'll start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsgas View Post
As soon as you put the throttle to idle, turn engine operate back to normal, do not wait. AFAIK, putting the throttle to idle with engine motoring you are introducing fuel without ignition.
You're correct.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #22
Frederf
Veteran

Reputation power: 38
Frederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to allFrederf is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Frederf

Indeed if the switch reposition from motor to norm is delayed by 2 seconds after the lever is positioned from off to idle the engine does not start. A start occurs if the switch reposition is made within a second.

That success or failure of the task is so time critical is not at all obvious from the written instruction. I humbly beg forgiveness for the audacity in investigating the matter.

Personally I will skip the motoring step entirely as there appears no situation which a start is successful from a motored RPM vice one which is unmotored.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #23
mvsgas
Veteran

Reputation power: 157
mvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud of

Thanks Snoop, always good to hear from you.

CPU=Intel Core I3 7320, Mo/Bo= ASRock B250 Gaming K4, Memory DDR42400 pc4-19200 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V, video card=EVGA GTX 1060 SC, 6gb gddr 5, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64
mvsgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:50 AM   #24
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Reputation power: 57
Yurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
That success or failure of the task is so time critical is not at all obvious from the written instruction.
Very good point!

My in-flight restarts have had a certain hit or miss ratio that I couldn't really account for, but this might be the answer I didn't know the question to.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:52 AM   #25
mvsgas
Veteran

Reputation power: 157
mvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud of

Everything on engine starts is time critical. In real life is even worst, there is so many things we do not have to check or worry about in the sim. I never ran a RL A-10, obviously, but the first few times I ran an engine (F-16) I was 30 seconds behind the aircraft.

Try to check all of this while the video is playing, from the moment he turns the throttle to idle, light off should occur within 10 sec, you are looking for anticipated hot start (FTIT rapid rise through 750C on GE engine ), looking for hung starts, auto acceleration, engine fire, JFS off at 54% to 55%, stand by gen on by 58% to 60%, engine light out at 60%, main gen on within 5 to 10 seconds after standby gen. Oil pressure as soon as you reach idle and Hyd/oil pressure light should go out by 20 psid on the gauge but it should not go out prior to 15% RPM. And that is just the stuff I remember, I am sure there more I miss.

Maybe Snoopy can tell us more about what he had to check on RL A-10 engine start that we don't even think about within DCS.

CPU=Intel Core I3 7320, Mo/Bo= ASRock B250 Gaming K4, Memory DDR42400 pc4-19200 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V, video card=EVGA GTX 1060 SC, 6gb gddr 5, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64
mvsgas is offline   Reply With Quote