Windows 10 upgrade

The last post on the WinX upgrade was 2 years ago, so I am starting another thread to ask my questions. I am downloading it to a thumbdrive now, but was wondering if I should save anything besides my saved games folder before I install it? Will the upgrade wipe my SSD of everything on it now (Windows 7 Home Premium) and leave me to reinstall everything? Not a big deal, but I want to know what to expect before I hit the button:unsure: I would stay with 7 for a while longer, but it only supports 16Gb of memory while my MB can take more.

Thanks, and I'm sure I will have more ?

MJ

msi Z170A MB, i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz, 32GB DDR4

GeForce GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

Acer Predator Z271, 650w PSU, Corsair Carbon500R, MS FFB 2

Win10 install will want to completely format your C: drive. If you have anything on it that you want to save, I would suggest doing so. If you can handle re-downloading DCS and installing it again (or on a separate drive), I would go for it. You have numerous keys, so I wouldn't worry about that part. You won't exceed the point limit, but you will need the reg keys. I am now on Win10 (reluctantly after some lightning) and all is well after a fresh install and verification.

Link to post outlining Starforce points: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=147457

Edited by Chump
Added link

• 4 weeks later...
Win10 install will want to completely format your C: drive. ........If you can handle re-downloading DCS and installing it again (or on a separate drive), I would go for it.

I'm curious what you mean by "on a separate drive" ?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using an SSD ? Doesn't DCS have to be installed/reinstalled onto the SSD to eliminate the bottle-necking etc ?

I am also curious about using software such as Zinstall to transfer files and settings to eliminate the wiping of C Drive (or in this case to transfer files and software and settings etc to the SSD).?

I also took note of the following information (no software like Zinstall required).

http://www.intowindows.com/you-can-upgrade-to-windows-10-preview-without-losing-installed-programs/

SnowTiger:joystick:

If you plan to install it on your C drive, go for it. SSD is definitely the way to go. You don't have to get crazy like I did and have an SSD specifically for gaming. I was unsure of your setup, and we were only talking about the C drive. If that is the only drive you have, it will work fine to install DCS on.

I have never used Zinstall and was pretty much forced to install a fresh OS, so I cannot speak about this.

copy the dcs world alpha folder from your ssd to your hard drive and edit the registry path

Edited by Johnny_Rico

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I would stay with 7 for a while longer, but it only supports 16Gb of memory while my MB can take more.

Windows 7 Pro X64 supports more than 16GB so I presume you have Home Premium?

BTW, you don't necessarily have to do a clean install - you can also just upgrade your installation from Windows 7 to Windows 10 by running the setup from within Windows 7. It will keep all your (compatible) applications and you will even have a downgrade option within the first 30 days.

It's a nice way to try out Windows 10 while having the option to painlessly go back to your previous installation.

Once upgraded, Windows 10 also have an option to reset themselves (with several options, e.g. the 'remove everything' option amounts to a clean install basically) in a rare case that you have some issues after the upgrade.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

How do I update from within Win 7? I thought I would have to boot from the thumbdrive I have made.

Yes, I have win 7 home premium.

MJ

How do I update from within Win 7? I thought I would have to boot from the thumbdrive I have made. Yes, I have win 7 home premium.

MJ

You just mount the Windows 10 image or put the thumbstick while in Windows 7, go to the drive and run setup.exe.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

How do I update from within Win 7? I thought I would have to boot from the thumbdrive I have made.

Yes, I have win 7 home premium.

MJ

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/accessibility/windows10upgrade

if you boot from usb YOU will have to provide a license for 10.

if you use the link, ms will grant you one for free, ends dec.31st 2017

i would use the link and read my earlier post regarding safing your 10 lic to ms-account in this subforum. may safe you some big money, all legal and recommended by ms

edit:

once you did the upgrade via that link you can reinstall 10 from usb on same hardware w/o key. use ms-hotmail account to tie your lic to your persona, so you can MOVE it to a new platform/cpu/mobo/gpu once you upgrade. if you dont tie it to ms account there is no way to use that 10-lic on next hardware. google this and read it up, dont loose your 10 while you upgrade in the future

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

BitMaster- Can you provide a link to your previous post concerning linking win10 license to ms account?

MJ

My current system is Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

It is installed on my C: Drive which is on a typical HDD.

I would like to take advantage of the Upgrade while I still can BUT I don't want to overwrite on the same drive. Rather I prefer to install Win 10 on a new SSD that I have yet to install/use.

Any idea if this can be done (before I start the process and learn otherwise).

In other words, as long as the Win 10 Upgrade Installer recognizes my Win 7 License, will it give me an option as to which drive it formats and gets installed to ?

Thanks in Advance for any help I can get.

I realize these questions might be best sent to MS but I'm hoping someone who has done it can tell me.

SnowTiger:joystick:

BitMaster- Can you provide a link to your previous post concerning linking win10 license to ms account?

MJ

Just one of the Google results:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-link-your-windows-10-product-key-microsoft-account

Once done and maybe 2-3 reboots later you can go back to a local account, that's what I do too.

Your 10 is already remembered at MS.

This ONLY makes sense if you have a retail version of 7 or 10, it will not allow Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, Sony etc.. pre-installed Win10 or upgraded 7's to be used on any other/new hardware.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

My current system is Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

It is installed on my C: Drive which is on a typical HDD.

I would like to take advantage of the Upgrade while I still can BUT I don't want to overwrite on the same drive. Rather I prefer to install Win 10 on a new SSD that I have yet to install/use.

Any idea if this can be done (before I start the process and learn otherwise).

In other words, as long as the Win 10 Upgrade Installer recognizes my Win 7 License, will it give me an option as to which drive it formats and gets installed to ?

Thanks in Advance for any help I can get.

I realize these questions might be best sent to MS but I'm hoping someone who has done it can tell me.

Ahhhh, OK. Let me explain how you can do this.

YOu will have to use the website upgrade path from within Win7 and install 10, keeping whatever can be taken over from 7 to 10. Then, once 10 is installed, you have a certain time frame in which you can role back to 7 with a few easy clicks and 20-30min time.

You can google the details and exact time frame to role back.

Basically, go here: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/accessibility/windows10upgrade

check for your language, mine is ../de-de/... german.

Install, see if you like it and keep it or role back within 14 days iirc.

...in other words, it keeps a copy of your 7 that you can go back to for iirc 14 days. After those days the files get purged on next maint.

If you then like a new install of 10, cuz you love 10, then put in new SSD, install 10 from USB or DVD newest build on that SSD and dont bother activation, it is done automatically. If not, access hotmail and manage your computers' 10 lics.

...or clone tha damn thing over if your 10 is worth keeping....samsung tool works ok for samsung ssd, if that fits.

Edited by BitMaster