P51D Videos

JimMack

Mac, You're welcome to fly with us! We regularly put up public servers to allow people to come and fly with us and, as a benefit for us, it also gives us the chance to scout new pilots should we every need one. We found our right wing in a public server we hosted... At the time he was just starting out with formation but we like his dedication to getting better. Anyway, he started flying in our public servers a lot and we helped him with a few tips and leading him a lot. When our original right wing had to leave the team, we immediately had a replacement to turn to :)

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

Thanks, Rock. If I can catch your server up and you have a spare bird, I'd love to try some of your maneuvers with you!

See ya in the skies!

P9x79 Deluxe, Intel Core i7 3820 OC'd 4.0 GHz stable, Corsair H80 hydro cooler, G-Skill 32 GB DDR3-2133 (4x 8GB), 2x GeForce GTX 680 SLI, Kingston 120 GB SSD, Crucial 256 GB SSD, CoolMaster 1.2 kW PSU, Samsung 27", Samsung 24", Dynex 40", APC 1200 UPS, Logitech G-15, Logitech G-13, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Logitech Z5000, TrackIR 4, Western Digital 1TB, 2TB and 3TB ext HD, FC2, A-10c, Ka-50, and P-51d.

Practicing at Gudauta (again)

I don't know how long the YouTube audio will last but here is a video of my practice this weekend.

Note: this is flying with DCS World 1.2. The flight model has been improved and, well, I'm a happy man!

P9x79 Deluxe, Intel Core i7 3820 OC'd 4.0 GHz stable, Corsair H80 hydro cooler, G-Skill 32 GB DDR3-2133 (4x 8GB), 2x GeForce GTX 680 SLI, Kingston 120 GB SSD, Crucial 256 GB SSD, CoolMaster 1.2 kW PSU, Samsung 27", Samsung 24", Dynex 40", APC 1200 UPS, Logitech G-15, Logitech G-13, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Logitech Z5000, TrackIR 4, Western Digital 1TB, 2TB and 3TB ext HD, FC2, A-10c, Ka-50, and P-51d.

• ED Team

There have been so many great videos created for Flaming Cliffs, Black Shark and A10C that is difficult to create a top ten.

For me, one of my top favourites is Frazer flying an aerobatic display in the Black Shark.

The reason that it is a favourite is not only that Frazer is one of the best virtual display pilots that the community has, but that the video is very instructive in the display of the 3 views:-

- External

- Pilot's view

- Cockpit view - so you can see how the controls are being moved in a manoeuvre.

I would be very interested in seeing a similar video with the P51D in an aerobatic display - rolls, hesitation rolls, loops (accurate - no egg shapes), barrel rolls etc.

As a point of trivia: Some of you may have seen at Flying Legends Stephan Grey flying the Bearcat as the "joker" at the end of the display.

Once he enters the display at a high speed pass, he never touches the throttle. He plans his display so that he is trading speed for height, and then height for speed. You really have to know the aircraft characteristics to get it right!

See

For displaying a P51 in current air displays, you do not want to strain either the engine or airframe. A typical maximum for vertical manoeuvres would be 47 inch manifold, with 2,700 rpm, and not exceeding 4G, reducing to 40 inch and 2,500 rpm for horizontal manoeuvres. Fuel will be at half tank.

Of course - in the 2ndWW no one bothered about limits!

Edited by JimMack
more info

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

I don't know how long the YouTube audio will last but here is a video of my practice this weekend.

Note: this is flying with DCS World 1.2. The flight model has been improved and, well, I'm a happy man!

Great flying! Me likee!!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

thanks for the heads up on how to snap roll last night. great to fly online with you. the snap rolls are too much fun. trying the climbing flat spin makes sense now in how to execute it but still cant stop the bird from righting itself half way through the move. any tips there ? and at what stage do you drop the manifold?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Climbing flat spin

thanks for the heads up on how to snap roll last night. great to fly online with you. the snap rolls are too much fun. trying the climbing flat spin makes sense now in how to execute it but still cant stop the bird from righting itself half way through the move. any tips there ? and at what stage do you drop the manifold?

Pull full power hard into vertical by watching out the side of the cockpit. The horizon should be perpendicular to your plane. Climb for 3 to 4 seconds to insure you have enough altitude for the maneuver. A left snap roll takes advantage of the engine torque. Start your maneuver above 250 kias, kick full left rudder and full left aileron and full up elevator (hard rudder, and stick hard back and to the left). Wait until you feel the spin begin, quickly pull back the manifold only (RPMs full), neutral stick but keep the hard left rudder. You should be hanging upside down by this time.

That's how I do it. Once you stop spinning, neutral rudder, wait until your nose drops, ease in the manifold (watch out for carb-cough) to full power, aileron to orient the way you want to go, and pull out of your dive.

By the way, the reason I was having so much trouble on the ground was my joystick was in the process of dying. It is now completely in pieces. I have emailed Thrustmaster who asked for some photos of the mess. Hopefully, they will let me ship it to them for repair (at my expense since I broke it!) I don't think I will be flying this coming weekend. We'll see.

• Like 1

Bridge over troubled airplane.

Mustang vs. Bridge (spoiler: Mustang wins :huh:)

Practice flying in a straight line in a 45 degree bank without dropping much altitude. Then try the same railroad bridge at a 45 degrees bank. I've seen an A-10 do it in FC2. But the flight model, then, was arcade-ish.

Does this count?

[

Man, you're going to do some damage to that bridge if you keep doing that!

• 2 weeks later...

what a great video. keep them comin'

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I learned some things tonight:

1) P51 wings are made of fire, with a thin sheet of metal-like material to keep the fire in. I was pretty sure of this already but this video proves it.

2) Ctrl-F11 camera is awesome.

3) Apparently flaming pieces of P51 can be used to trim power lines.

Would someone consider doing me a custom skin? I'd like to name my bird "Fireball", with some flames on the side etc. It doesn't have to look too fancy, just like a big messy flaming ball of wreckage; it's sure to blend in with the actual flaming ball of wreckage I will create shortly after grabbing the controls..

1) P51 wings are made of fire, with a thin sheet of metal-like material to keep the fire in. I was pretty sure of this already but this video proves it.

2) Ctrl-F11 camera is awesome.

3) Apparently flaming pieces of P51 can be used to trim power lines.

Would someone consider doing me a custom skin? I'd like to name my bird "Fireball", with some flames on the side etc. It doesn't have to look too fancy, just like a big messy flaming ball of wreckage; it's sure to blend in with the actual flaming ball of wreckage I will create shortly after grabbing the controls..

Bwahahaha, that's fantastic. Solid science there.

<VAAF>

Virtual Australian Air-Force :thumbup::joystick::pilotfly:

Quite a bit of it apparently, because it takes quite a while for all of the fire to escape. :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: