Pitch UP when Carrier Launch with Auto Flap

backspace340

Its extremely easy to correct the problem. Use flaps for takeoff ;). Or if you want to takeoff with flaps in auto then exercise the flaps from full and back to auto which you should be doing as part of your pre-flight checks anyway after resetting the FCS.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No no... MECH means just "mechanically", There is no backup control in FA-18...

"There is no mechanical lateral trim." in last words in manual...

In Auto mode, I press tens of times and press hold some minutes. but no respond. it meas no work. may be the FCS number could be changed but may be the gain must be too low.

Make the trim for pilot, not the FCS... please

You seem to confuse,

'I like to fly this thing my way',

with

'This thing flies as it is programmed to replicate the actual thing'

Why do you do that? What has F-18 done to you?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I find this post very interesting, this post is making me understand the problem.

I'm new on this sim and the f-18 are a very complex aircraft for me, I'm using VR and always cold start so having this issue caused by my "lack of correct procedure problem" and the fact that is not the same thing "a flat screen or use VR". In the last variant due to the high immersion sensation, landing to end a flight is a must, is not a pleasant sensation just remove the headset and start a new mission, is a frustration sensation end a flight with a button and not in the airfield.

Land the plane with the plane having this mortal tendency and not know how to correct it is not a pleasant sensation, even more, when you hear the explosion at the end...an emptiness sensation becomes present.

The alleged bug doesn't affect landing. It is an issue regarding take off without the correct flap setting. There are no issues at all with landing.

When an stranger suddenly change your perspective about life...

You seem to confuse,

'I like to fly this thing my way', with 'This thing flies as it is programmed to replicate the actual thing'

Why do you do that? What has F-18 done to you?

Hahahaha, you are totally right. I find your text very useful in my daily activities.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Hahahaha, you are totally right. I find your text very useful in my daily activities.

Arturo, I think his post was directed at Nansara, not you.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Arturo, I think his post was directed at Nansara, not you.

You have right again, I’m just looking at you guys and trying to participate from the newbie corner, is that wrong or is the propuse of this site?

Sent from my Tornado IDS while on autopilot using Tapatalk Pro.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Just wondering why if you are suppose to T/O with half flaps, you decide to T/O with Auto flaps?

Follow the correct procedure. Problem solved.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

You have right again, I’m just looking at you guys and trying to participate from the newbie corner, is that wrong or is the propuse of this site?

Sent from my Tornado IDS while on autopilot using Tapatalk Pro.

I don't think the post was meant as disrespectful , and I'm sure your input is welcomed . I noted several excellent points you made in another thread . Sometimes the language barrier results in misunderstandings . But your English is better than my-well pick a language :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Just wondering why if you are suppose to T/O with half flaps, you decide to T/O with Auto flaps?

Follow the correct procedure. Problem solved.

AMEN...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I believe if you cycle the flaps to full and back to auto it will takeoff just fine in auto if you want to (Don't know why you would). Its only if you don't cycle the flaps the first time after spawning/startup it goes weird - at least thats my understanding. Will test it later and check.

Proud owner of:

Okay Okay, For MECH, I don't care, that is not my interest.

Maybe I'm wrong about MECH. That is the sideway.

But, Auto Flap and Trim control, And Stuck of the Flaps in AUTO Flap launch is the problem that I said. Whatever it caused, the result is same.

I tried yesterday night my time,

First, Your Key binding is the problem, The Trim key is set already but not work, I set again same key it works.

Second, In Autoflap mode, the elevator trim is not work in the high speed, only work in the low speed and the amount is very little movement. Why the elevator control function is chain to flap control?

Third, When the Flap is stuck in Auto Flap launch, just cycle the Flap mode can not recover. you have to gear down and up also needed. Everybody try to fix high AOA with first just reset the trim and next try to change flap. Nobody try gear down. That is the normal human thought and that is the what I report.

Please test your system and reply.

And Please let me know where of the U.S. Navy F-18 NATOPS Flight Manuals's that said the elevator trim's movement in Auto flap mode is very little and only work in the low speed.

PS : We are human that is the why we take off sometimes in Auto flap mode. You said Just follow the procedure that is no problem? Talk to the real FA-18 pilot.

Edited by Nansaram

1: Real hornet pilots use a checklist . You can too !

2: I don't know who "everybody" is , but Natops specificaly proscribes use of the trim reset in flight .

3: my keybinding is fine .

4: trim in auto flaps Natops reference already posted , you just choose to ignore it-as you do every other rational post in this thread .

Why the elevator control function is chain to flap control?

Because in Flap HALF and Flap FULL mode the FCS works differently which causes pitch trim to also work differently to when the aircraft is flying in AUTO mode.

When the Flap is stuck in Auto Flap launch, just cycle the Flap mode can not recover. you have to gear down and up also needed. Everybody try to fix high AOA with first just reset the trim and next try to change flap. Nobody try gear down. That is the normal human thought and that is the what I report.

I agree there may be a bug, I never disputed this. I was just correcting you on some of the things you stated were fact about the F-18 that you were actually wrong about.

PS : We are human that is the why we take off sometimes in Auto flap mode. You said Just follow the procedure that is no problem? Talk to the real FA-18 pilot.

I am related to a real F-18 pilot. Guess what, He took off 100% of the time with Flaps set to half. Because that is the procedure.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

Because in Flap HALF and Flap FULL mode the FCS works differently which causes pitch trim to also work differently to when the aircraft is flying in AUTO mode.

I agree there may be a bug, I never disputed this. I was just correcting you on some of the things you stated were fact about the F-18 that you were actually wrong about.

I am related to a real F-18 pilot. Guess what, He took off 100% of the time with Flaps set to half. Because that is the procedure.

Thanks for the good explain. That is what I wanted.

But my first question is, pitch trim control is for the pilot not the FCS it should not change the amount of movement even when changing the flap mode. Not the whole elevator control function, just elevator trim function. Please consult you real pilot friends.

Remember, at the beginning of this post, everybody knew that pitch trim does not work in Auto Flap mode. That is also wrong. Not only me. I catch many things from these posts except some too aggressive posts.

But my first question is, pitch trim control is for the pilot not the FCS it should not change the amount of movement even when changing the flap mode. Not the whole elevator control function, just elevator trim function. Please consult you real pilot friends.

I don't understand what you mean. In the F-18 pitch trim is processed by the FCS. It is not a direct connection that moves the surface regardless of the FCS, it is part of what the FCS does and it changes depending on what mode the FCS is in based on the flap switch position. When in Auto mode the aircraft auto-trims to 1G and when you use pitch trim you are biasing that G number either above or below. This works in the sim - Push nose down trim and see the HUD G reading go to 0.9, 0.8, 0.7 etc. When you use trim the centre position of the stick in real life doesn't move because the trim is purely electronic inside the FCS.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

I don't understand what you mean. In the F-18 pitch trim is processed by the FCS. It is not a direct connection that moves the surface regardless of the FCS, it is part of what the FCS does and it changes depending on what mode the FCS is in based on the flap switch position. When in Auto mode the aircraft auto-trims to 1G and when you use pitch trim you are biasing that G number either above or below. This works in the sim - Push nose down trim and see the HUD G reading go to 0.9, 0.8, 0.7 etc. When you use trim the centre position of the stick in real life doesn't move because the trim is purely electronic inside the FCS.

Yes I know the trim is just bias of the FCS. But my mean is Pilot don't care, We just care the trim button is work or not.

My test result is, the elevator trim is not work in high speed, Why?

And in the low speed it work very slow than Half flap or Full flap, Why?

We just want to trim the plane's movement using the trim key. Is there is no situation and no need in the High speed Auto Flap? no way...

That is why I wrote, I am quite good at DCS Mirage 2000C either, And Falcon4.0 before.

I know what FCS did.

Yes I know the trim is just bias of the FCS. But my mean is Pilot don't care, We just care the trim button is work or not.

My test result is, the elevator trim is not work in high speed, Why?

And in the low speed it work very slow than Half flap or Full flap, Why?

We just want to trim the plane's movement using the trim key. Is there is no situation and no need in the High speed Auto Flap? no way...

That is why I wrote, I am quite good at DCS Mirage 2000C either, And Falcon4.0 before.

I know what FCS did.

Pitch trim does work in AUTO mode, just slowly. Even so, there is no reason to use pitch trim in Auto mode. I literally never touch pitch trim in Auto mode.

Pitch trim works exactly as it should in Flap Half and Full.

I don't see your problem.

Proud owner of:

...I need a face palm emoji!

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Pitch trim does work in AUTO mode, just slowly. Even so, there is no reason to use pitch trim in Auto mode. I literally never touch pitch trim in Auto mode.

Pitch trim works exactly as it should in Flap Half and Full.

I don't see your problem.

I have a reason to use pitch trim. I want to gradually go up or go down my plane without stick input in High Speed Auto Flaps mode.

It did not work at that time. Pitch trim only work in the auto flap mode when the plane go slow.

Please test and reply.

Edited by Nansaram

I have a reason to use pitch trim. I want to gradually go up or go down my plane without stick input in High Speed Auto Flaps mode.

It did not work at that time. Pitch trim only work int the auto flap mode when the plane go slow.

Please test and reply.

That is not how real F-18 pilots fly the aircraft. Go ask them. ;)

I suggest you use more stick curve so you can make finer stick inputs.

How fast is “high speed”?

Proud owner of:

That is not how real F-18 pilots fly the aircraft. Go ask them. ;)

I suggest you use more stick curve so you can make finer stick inputs.

How fast is “high speed”?

I'm just conventional Flight Simulator Pilot. Trim is trim. And Trim should trim the plane's maneuver at any time any speed.

Roll trim is always work. any time any speed. It also connect as a bias to FCS.

I don't know the exact speed number, but maybe 350kts more, you can check it.

Trim is trim. And Trim should trim the plane's maneuver at any time any speed.

What about if it doesn’t work that way in the real aircraft?

Proud owner of:

I will test out trim tomorrow and see if I can recreate your problem. I guess it depends what kind of effect you are expecting. Are you expecting to be able to trim to 0G or +2G for instance?

Proud owner of:

I will test out trim tomorrow and see if I can recreate your problem. I guess it depends what kind of effect you are expecting. Are you expecting to be able to trim to 0G or +2G for instance?

Okay please try and let me know the result.

As far as I know, modern airplane operate Autopilot using trim control. So, I think it should be work to trim to 0G or +2G only using trim control. But maybe it have different Gain value to the specific airplane.