[NO BUG] ZSU23-U accuracy reduced

Skarp

I noticed after 2.5 was released the ZSU Sheilka is far less accurate than it used to be. It was similar to the performance of the gepard. Now it seems to be too slow to engage when a target is within optimal range. Is this on purpose or bug?

I just came here to post a bug report about the same thing and found this post.

I was testing the ZSU-23 Shilkas and several other AAA units and found that the Shilkas and the ZU-23 units can't seem to hit targets, even if they're flying in a straight line.

I found that the Shilka can't hit targets moving in a straight line if they are faster than around 480 knots.

Here are track files showing an F-5 flying straight and level at steady speed over a gauntlet of Shilkas at roughly 550 knots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5t3ika40wa6wmn3/Shilka%20bugged1.trk?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aem2oyiczbyubo8/Shilka%20bugged2.trk?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxh719d07heex7h/Shilka%20bugged3.trk?dl=0

The AI has trouble leading a fast target enough when the target is close or flying more or less overhead. Faster than about 475 knots, and it rarely hits due to not enough lead.

I think the shilka needs to have a longer lockon range. There may also be an issue with AAA AI logic for all units with regard to leading a moving target. AI often completely misses a non maneuvering target. When this happens, it's always because the guns aren't applying enough lead.

Edited by Aries144

Do you have a mission I could try that you are using, nothing has been changed with their accuracy that I know of.

Sure. I've put together several missions. All feature an F-5 at 100ft flying directly over Batumi runway. I have six groups of 3 AAA units each along both sides of the runway.

1. ZU-23 emplacements

2. ZU-23 trucks

3. Shilkas

Out of the above three, the ZU-23 emplacement is the most effective, followed by the ZU-23 truck, with the Shilka the least effective. The vulcan seems to be between the shilka and the zu-23 truck and the gepard seems to be better than the zu-23 emplacements.

Mission files include duplicates of the test with Vulcan, Shilka, ZU-23 emplacement, ZU-23 truck, and Gepard, all tested against the same F-5 flying straight down the runway at 550 kts, 100ft.

AAA tests Gepard Shilka ZU-23 ZU-23 Truck Vulcan.zip

the zsu non radar units are more accurate and engage earlier than the zsu23-4. From what it's looking like the zsu's are not engaging fast enough and also they will not lead a target that is going faster than 500knots. The Tunguska missile tracking was also effected in 2.5. less accurate so maybe a correlation somewhere in the code.

• ED Team
Sure. I've put together several missions. All feature an F-5 at 100ft flying directly over Batumi runway. I have six groups of 3 AAA units each along both sides of the runway.

1. ZU-23 emplacements

2. ZU-23 trucks

3. Shilkas

Out of the above three, the ZU-23 emplacement is the most effective, followed by the ZU-23 truck, with the Shilka the least effective. The vulcan seems to be between the shilka and the zu-23 truck and the gepard seems to be better than the zu-23 emplacements.

Mission files include duplicates of the test with Vulcan, Shilka, ZU-23 emplacement, ZU-23 truck, and Gepard, all tested against the same F-5 flying straight down the runway at 550 kts, 100ft.

To be fair to the Shilkas, I placed the F-5 outside the engagement zones of the first 4 groups. This gave them a much better chance, and the F-5 hasn't made it past the second row of Shilkas for me after 5 tries.

Shilkas were a joke forever in DCS

Track or it didnt happen...

the zsu non radar units are more accurate and engage earlier than the zsu23-4. From what it's looking like the zsu's are not engaging fast enough and also they will not lead a target that is going faster than 500knots. The Tunguska missile tracking was also effected in 2.5. less accurate so maybe a correlation somewhere in the code.

Well there is a reason updated Shilka's are now rocking AA Missiles as well (not in DCS), the guns are good for slow and low targets, but beyond that, the radar and tracking isnt great. We cant expect more out of them than they can do either.

For some reason, I've found that putting the units into separate groups of 3 seems to increase the number of units that fire at once.

And thank you very much for taking the time to look at this!

Interesting, there might be a reason for that, perhaps some form of ammo saving/networking, or something, I will ask around on that.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png