[CORRECT AS IS] Odd rocking in G-onset

Hummingbird

Noticed that a quick pull from 1 to 9 G results in an odd bouncing/rocking in G onset (esp. around 500 kts), i.e. the aircraft seems to suddenly command negative stab at around 5 G's to slow the G onset, only to then let it pick up again until it gradually slows the closer you get to 9 G. As a result a quick 9 G break produces a sort of rocking sensation in pitch & G build up, something also noticable on the virtual pilots head movement in the cockpit.

Perhaps it's related to the odd high speed pitch stutter?

• ED Team

Hi,

the team are looking into this, I will update you when I know more.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

Observed the following in external view:

WgWhK5Q5Yjk

As one can see the stabilators initially make an odd up/down bouncing movement when applying & holding full aft stick, which explains the odd rocking in G-onset/pitch rate that the DCS F-16 currently suffers from.

This could be linked to what @Syndrome previously reported as the horizontal stabilators lacking in speed of deflection, and thus in order to prevent a G-overshoot they have to apply opposite deflection sooner as the whole movement is slower than it should be. This would also affect how fast the G's can be put on (G-onset rate), and thus fixing this might also go some way to solving this issue.

I don't see the bouncing of the stabs as particularly problematic as for a relaxed stability aircraft you would expect to see a control input to initiate the pitch rate immediately followed by a counteracting input to "catch" the aircraft before it becomes divergent. That isn't to say that it doesn't need tuning.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I don't see the bouncing of the stabs as particularly problematic as for a relaxed stability aircraft you would expect to see a control input to initiate the pitch rate immediately followed by a counteracting input to "catch" the aircraft before it becomes divergent. That isn't to say that it doesn't need tuning.

I agree that a counter deflection is to be expected, it just appears that the stab movement speed is perhaps too low which in turn forces the FLCS to initiate the counter deflection earlier and over do it, causing that odd momentary slow down in G-onset/pitch rate.

Could be due to a "good" relaxed stability model but with a "bad" FLCS transcription (?).

I do believe there are definitely issues with ED's current implementation of the Vipers DFLCS, which shows itself in a number of ways:

1. G-onset rate is suspiciously low

2. 9.3 G's cannot be attained in the horizontal as defined pr. the real DFLCS laws

3. Negative 3 G's cannot be attained at all

4. Weird rocking in G-onset/pitch rate

Personally I see issues 1,2 & 4 being connected, and I suspect an extra 0.3 G's allowed combined with faster stab deflection speeds might help solve it.

Hi!

I do believe there are definitely issues with ED's current implementation of the Vipers DFLCS,

1. G-onset rate is suspiciously low

2. 9.3 G's cannot be attained in the horizontal as defined pr. the real DFLCS laws

3. Negative 3 G's cannot be attained at all

4. Weird rocking in G-onset/pitch rate

... roll inertia, CATIII roll rate, landing gains ... etc ...

It is not really a matter believes, it is rather facts.

But ... it is a WIP.

Regards.

Edited by Dee-Jay

Hi!

... roll inertia, CATIII roll rate, landing gains ... etc ...

It is not really a matter believes, it is rather facts.

But ... it is a WIP.

Regards.

Yeah, WIP, let's hope it really is WIP and not one of those things that get stuck in the infamous ED loop of "provide evidence" and whatever you provide isn't good enough.

There are a bunch of issues with the engine simulation as well, been like that since day 1 of EA.

Generally I'd love to see progress on the FM parts before focus on the avionics.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Generally I'd love to see progress on the FM parts before focus on the avionics.

Yeah I tend to agree. But I think avionics and weapons are more obvious the end user. I think most people flying it in the sim aren’t experienced enough with the real jet to notice/care about the G onset rate, or the roll-rate in CAT-III etc, but they really want to fire some Mavericks or HARMs. I am sure it will get looked at though.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, WIP, let's hope it really is WIP and not one of those things that get stuck in the infamous ED loop of "provide evidence" and whatever you provide isn't good enough.

There are a bunch of issues with the engine simulation as well, been like that since day 1 of EA.

Yes the FM should take precedence over all else IMO as well. But BIGNEWY promised an update on this when he knows more. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later at this point.

• ED Team

Hi all, we will see some flight model tweaks in the future, but we will have to be patient.

thank you

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • ED Team

I have asked the team to review this, but as mentioned you will have to be patient.

Thanks

• ED Team

Note:

It should be mentioned some factors that affect flight characteristics ( including wing rock) can be seen when terminating high roll rate manoeuvres at high speeds above 400 Knots.

It maybe related to this, but the team will review it once they have time.

Thanks

Note:

It should be mentioned some factors that affect flight characteristics ( including wing rock) can be seen when terminating high roll rate manoeuvres at high speeds above 400 Knots.

It maybe related to this, but the team will review it once they have time.

Thanks

I think OP means there's a rocking in pitch-up maneuvers, with inconsistent G evolution rate. Nothing to do with the roll here.

A testing of short period pitch mode should reveal this. For example simply draw a graph of pitch rate vs time, or load factor vs time, using step input to see how the aircraft responses.

By watching the video it looks like this:

5.jpg.f4b07b99bcf366a7891a0c3a37c3f172.jpg

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

• ED Team
I think OP means there's a rocking in pitch-up maneuvers, with inconsistent G evolution rate. Nothing to do with the roll here.

A testing of short period pitch mode should reveal this. For example simply draw a graph of pitch rate vs time, or load factor vs time, using step input to see how the aircraft responses.

By watching the video it looks like this:

[ATTACH]232459[/ATTACH]

Yes, we will look into it, but as the OP's video shows a high roll rate at speeds over 400Knts it was worth mentioning.

Yes, we will look into it, but as the OP's video shows a high roll rate at speeds over 400Knts it was worth mentioning.

Yeah, it also looks like a pitch-up maneuver coupled with rolling is quickly creating sideslips, but a certain gain schedule (maybe somewhere near the lateral acceleration feedback) in the yaw FLCS is too high for this airspeed/altitude and wants to quickly eliminate that sideslip, causing the rudder to oscillate. Just my two cents.

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.