Warthog HOTAS keybinds

Hi,

What do people using the Thurstmaster Warthog HOTAS use for their keybindings, in particular for the trigger and the brake lever? For the weapons I was thinking about first stage trigger fires just the machine guns, second stage fires all weapons, weapons release button fires just the canons, but that seems a bit clumsy. What else do people have bound to their HOTAS?

Thanks,

Eagerly anticipating DCS: Space Shuttle

For braking while taxiing and using the rudder pedals, I use the lever at the stick to make short "brake bursts";

for braking after landing and to be able to use the rudder pedals after landing and to come to a fast stop, I use the lever on the throttle and set the brakes to a bit less as 4 (not everyone agrees with this);

For using:

gun: gunbutton;

canon: canonbutton;

gun and canon: the button on the stick which sometimes also is used for wheelsteering (in other aircraft)

Edited by wavn
  • Like 1

Best regards, Willem

For braking while taxiing and using the rudder pedals, I use the lever at the stick to make short "brake bursts";

for braking after landing and to be able to use the rudder pedals after landing and to come to a fast stop, I use the lever on the throttle and set the brakes to a bit less as 4 (not everyone agrees with this);

For using:

gun and canon: the button on the stick which sometimes also is used for wheelsteering (in other aircraft)

That sounds like a good idea. Can you give a bit more detail on the throttle lever brake. Is that an axis setting?

Yes, on the Thrustmaster Hotas throttle, it is the slider on the right: with this one, I can exactly adjust the braking power (for landing): I adjust it to about 3.5 on the brake indicator of the Spit.

What I said: not everyone agrees that this is the just method in the real Spitfire, but in this simulation it works just fine! and all my landings are pretty good.

An alternative could also be: making short braking bursts with the braking lever on the stick (the Thrustmaster Wartog Hotas has exactly the same lever as in the Spitfire) but here you must be carefull not to make a "head loop".

Edited by wavn

Best regards, Willem

Yes, on the Thrustmaster Hotas throttle, it is the slider on the right: with this one, I can exactly adjust the braking power (for landing): I adjust it to about 3.5 on the brake indicator of the Spit.

What I said: not everyone agrees that this is the just method in the real Spitfire, but in this simulation it works just fine! and all my landings are pretty good.

An alternative could also be: making short braking bursts with the braking lever on the stick (the Thrustmaster Wartog Hotas has exactly the same lever as in the Spitfire) but here you must be carefull not to make a "head loop".

Ah thanks very much. Makes sense. I already use the lever on the stick for brakes and have to bump it quickly like you said. I will give the slider axis a go tonight when I finish work.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by BuzzU

The lever on the Warthog is just an on-off switch.

The lever that they are talking about - at right of Warthog throttle grips, labeled INCR -DCR (friction adjust in real A-10) are a analog axis (potentiometer), hence can control "Wheel brakes" progressively ~10... 50... 70...100%, allowing that trick to landing/taxi with wheels partially braked... "unrealistic" but after all this is "just a game". ;)

The Spit does not have toe brakes!

You control taxi by the applying short bursts to the main brake in conjunction with application of the appropriate rudder pedal.

I know that, but no joystick that I know of has a lever on the throttle that's an axis. I shouldn't say no stick. The Warthog doesn't. So, toe brakes is the best answer. I use the lever next to the throttle for zoom. It doesn't seem like a good choice for a brake.

Buzz

I know that, but no joystick that I know of has a lever on the throttle that's an axis.

Use proper joystick grip for "wheel brakes" - use toe brakes in pedals for British/Russian/Italian ... planes without that system IRL is a awkward workaround and don't work in games like IL-2 BoS, CloD.

VPC T50 grip - analog (potentiometer) axis lever conveniente placed for use as "wheel brakes".

https://virpil.com/images/blog/forums/MT-50_BE_01640.jpg

VKB MCG - digital (contact less) axis lever conveniente placed for use as "wheel brakes" - although this grip for now exist only in renders and prototypes pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/MCQ62y3.jpg

I just use joy button (trigger) for DCS Spit "wheel brakes" and are able to do taxi very well, is matter of learn how use. ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

For using:

Tried it just now. Works really well. Great tip. Might not be realistic but I'm not letting that get in the way of a more stable landing. Sometimes you just have to improvise.

Many thanks for sharing. Rep inbound!

:thumbup:

Thanks for all the great replies! What exactly is unrealistic about using the throttle slider? Is it just that it's on the throttle not on the stick? This would not work for me as I use that for zoom however I am still curious: the brake lever in the real Spit allowed (as far as I can tell from the manual) for gradual pressure to be applied (there were not just on/off), and OK maybe that lever on the throttle is a bit easier to manage than a lever on the stick but it looks pretty acceptable given the TM Warthog setup.

Thanks for all the great replies! What exactly is unrealistic about using the throttle slider? Is it just that it's on the throttle not on the stick? This would not work for me as I use that for zoom however I am still curious: the brake lever in the real Spit allowed (as far as I can tell from the manual) for gradual pressure to be applied (there were not just on/off), and OK maybe that lever on the throttle is a bit easier to manage than a lever on the stick but it looks pretty acceptable given the TM Warthog setup.

Nothing unrealistic about the throttle slider. I think some ppl were confusing that with the lever on the joystick :) When I said it wasn't too realistic I was referring to setting the brakes through an axis bind at level 3 (cockpit brake indication) prior to landing for a more stable runout after touchdown.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Mule

Use proper joystick grip for "wheel brakes" - use toe brakes in pedals for British/Russian/Italian ... planes without that system IRL is a awkward workaround and don't work in games like IL-2 BoS, CloD.

It will work in CLOD with a couple of lines added to the config file. I've been using it for years. But, since DCS I've gone back to the joystick lever on my WH.

Short of building a brake lever to mount on your joystick, there is still a different option, at least for throttle sets with two throttle levers. You can setup a "Switch" in your key bindings, the same a you set up your modifiers, except on the right side of the modifiers window, instead of the left.

A switch, which does not necessarily have to have anything to do with a physical switch on one of your HOTAS sets, is like having a modifier that you turn on or off like a ... well switch :P .

I added a switch defined as the 'Master Mode Control Button' (on the TM HOTAS Joystick, the gray button on the upper right-hand side), naming it 'Finger Button', or something --the name doesn't really matter. Then I bound the the Brake Lever to my TM HOTAS Throttle's left throttle lever, which unmodified is my RPM setting, using the 'Finger Button' as a modifier.

Without pressing the 'Finger Button' the left throttle lever controls the RPM setting and the right the boost. But if I toggle the 'Finger Button' on, the TM HOTAS Throttle's left throttle becomes the Brake Lever, until I toggle the 'Finger Button' again, which then reverts the left throttle to RPM again.

Since on the ground before taking off, your RPM setting is always full forward --3000 RPM-- you actually don't need the RPM lever again --once set to 3000 RPM-- until after takeoff. So once RPM is set to full forward, I toggle the 'Finger Button' and now I have on my throttle quadrant brakes on the left lever and boost on the right lever.

It takes some getting used to, but it allows you to use the brakes in the Spitfire they way they were meant to be used, with very exact dosage.

Just before take-off, left throttle lever --brakes now-- is back all the way to applying no brakes at all. After take-off I toggle the 'Finger Button' to switch the left throttle back to RPM and quickly push it all the way forward to 3000 RPM, so that I don't experience a power drop-off, and then adjust accordingly from there. Now everything is back to 'normal'.

Since when I'm landing, once I've reduced boost to a minimum, I always push the RPM lever all the way forward to 3000 RPM, just in case I need to do a go-around, --RPM's will not actually change, because the lack of engine boost will simply not be able to increase the RPM's-- I again have the left throttle free for using as the brake lever. BUT I have to be very careful to remember, that with the left throttle working as the brake lever, and it being all the way forward --brakes on full-- once pressing the Finger Button on my landing approach, I have to pull the lit all the way back to no-braking before touching down, or else ... interesting things happen :D

So once I've touched down, I again have brakes left and boost right and I'm ready to roll out and taxi.

Many find this setup too complicated, but everybody's MMV ;).

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

. You can setup a "Switch" in your key bindings... defined as the 'Master Mode Control Button'

I use that "switch" (a kind of mode selector) through keyboard ScrLk key - due the LED indicating the changing in status - but instead "workarounds" with axis lever, just use joy trigger "lever", find more "British". ;)

And control taxi speed more with throttle/RPM instead wheel brakes, use this only for turns and full stop.

Short of building a brake lever to mount on your joystick, there is still a different option, at least for throttle sets with two throttle levers. You can setup a "Switch" in your key bindings, the same a you set up your modifiers, except on the right side of the modifiers window, instead of the left.

A switch, which does not necessarily have to have anything to do with a physical switch on one of your HOTAS sets, is like having a modifier that you turn on or off like a ... well switch :P .

I added a switch defined as the 'Master Mode Control Button' (on the TM HOTAS Joystick, the gray button on the upper right-hand side), naming it 'Finger Button', or something --the name doesn't really matter. Then I bound the the Brake Lever to my TM HOTAS Throttle's left throttle lever, which unmodified is my RPM setting, using the 'Finger Button' as a modifier.

Without pressing the 'Finger Button' the left throttle lever controls the RPM setting and the right the boost. But if I toggle the 'Finger Button' on, the TM HOTAS Throttle's left throttle becomes the Brake Lever, until I toggle the 'Finger Button' again, which then reverts the left throttle to RPM again.

Since on the ground before taking off, your RPM setting is always full forward --3000 RPM-- you actually don't need the RPM lever again --once set to 3000 RPM-- until after takeoff. So once RPM is set to full forward, I toggle the 'Finger Button' and now I have on my throttle quadrant brakes on the left lever and boost on the right lever.

It takes some getting used to, but it allows you to use the brakes in the Spitfire they way they were meant to be used, with very exact dosage.

Just before take-off, left throttle lever --brakes now-- is back all the way to applying no brakes at all. After take-off I toggle the 'Finger Button' to switch the left throttle back to RPM and quickly push it all the way forward to 3000 RPM, so that I don't experience a power drop-off, and then adjust accordingly from there. Now everything is back to 'normal'.

Since when I'm landing, once I've reduced boost to a minimum, I always push the RPM lever all the way forward to 3000 RPM, just in case I need to do a go-around, --RPM's will not actually change, because the lack of engine boost will simply not be able to increase the RPM's-- I again have the left throttle free for using as the brake lever. BUT I have to be very careful to remember, that with the left throttle working as the brake lever, and it being all the way forward --brakes on full-- once pressing the Finger Button on my landing approach, I have to pull the lit all the way back to no-braking before touching down, or else ... interesting things happen :D

So once I've touched down, I again have brakes left and boost right and I'm ready to roll out and taxi.

Many find this setup too complicated, but everybody's MMV ;).

That seems like a good idea I think I will adopt it :thumbup:

I use that "switch" (a kind of mode selector) through keyboard ScrLk key - due the LED indicating the changing in status - but instead "workarounds" with axis lever, just use joy trigger "lever", find more "British". ;)

And control taxi speed more with throttle/RPM instead wheel brakes, use this only for turns and full stop.

Since I'm using VR, LED's on my keyboard are not useful :matrix: Anyway, it's mostly a question of routine.

Does the joystick trigger work like an axis? I believe it is simply a two stage button, so there is no fidelity. With the throttle lever you have absolute control over how much brake pressure you are using, which allows you to turn curves quite abally.

I always have RPM at full on the ground, which is what is recommended I believe. So while on the ground, the RPM lever is superfluous and free to be put to better use.

Capt........That seems like a good idea, but wouldn't using the pinky lever on the stick be better than the grey button?

I've had my HOTAS setup for the P-51D for a couple of years, and simply transferred the most of it to the Spitfire. When I started I was using TrackIR and the 'Finger Button' was my re-centering button. Since I don't use it anymore, it was free to be used as a switch.

That seems like a good idea I think I will adopt it :thumbup:

Try it out and see how it works for you. It does take some getting used to, controlling boost and brakes with one hand, and if you don't already, you might need to mount your throttle quadrant so that it can't slide while pushing both levers simultaneously.

A real bicycle brake lever attached to the joystick would really be optimal, but I'm not a terribly talented builder of such things. Besides, I'm lazy AF :noexpression:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 5 months later...

IN answer to what do others do in the OP. Here are some ideas in the attached .jpgs. 3 aircraft in one file. M for spit, D for 109 U for P-51. Joystick Lever is a modifier and M U and D of the flap switch are the layers.

One simple .fcf file to run is all.

Loving it for the Spitfire.

TMWartJoy.thumb.jpg.2bdb22ef5371f6646324d0301d4adfad.jpg

TMWartThrottlebottom.jpg.b6d70232d9da6151cf5798b6f27898be.jpg

TMWartThrottletop.thumb.jpg.241addf4eaea0e8f5bb47a7ea6f0eed7.jpg

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth