At wit's end with Challege Campaign- Hard Crosswind Landing

I've practiced, watched videos and read articles on the topic, I've tried doing the crab, then transitioning into the sideslip dozens of times... Number of successful landings, (not scraping the wings on the pavement)... Zero times.

Can anyone put up a video of them doing a successful crosswind landing in the 109's challenge campaign? I'm so tired of trying...

Don't use full flaps while cross wind landing, 20-30º are fine. Don't crab, try to sideslip all the glide pointing your nose to runway with pedals while countering wind with just roll, you'll cross threshold more stable than trying to decrab a 1800Hp engine. Keep the roll into wind even while flaring and when you're on ground. Anyway if you can finish grounded and alive don't mind to scratch some wing tips. Good luck.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Don't use full flaps while cross wind landing, 20-30º are fine. Don't crab, try to sideslip all the glide pointing your nose to runway with pedals while countering wind with just roll, you'll cross threshold more stable than trying to decrab a 1800Hp engine. Keep the roll into wind even while flaring and when you're on ground. Anyway if you can finish grounded and alive don't mind to scratch some wing tips. Good luck.

S!

I've tried pure slideslipping but the damn crosswind/turbulence combo is so strong, I need to be banked nearly 20 degrees left to stay on glide. Very hard and disorienting to go to touchdown from that awkward uncoordinated attitude. And the turbulence, OH MY GOD the turbulence, I am literally losing sleep at night cause I am completely unable to find any consistency to my landings cause the turbulence is so unpredictable and violent that sometimes I would drop like a rock during the touchdown and bend the gears, or it would blow me around like a piece of paper, or push me off the runway just before gear contact and flip me over. Man no wonder so many landing accidents occurred with the 109's terrible gear configuration. Crosswind landings are pretty safe with P-51 and Dora's wider gear config.

TL;DR question... I know it varies due to strength of crosswind, but where should my IAS needle be around during crosswind landing?

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

Handbooks usually say, 20% it was? higher than usual Speed when landing into high crosswinds and gusts. So if you usually go lets say 200Km/H on short final you should go 240Km/H, bit high speed but wind will slow you down easily as you flare, not to mention some of that 240Km/H IAS are unreal to ground speed as you have front wind.

I know what you mean ant it's quite uncomfortable, tricky, and mind blowing, but you have to touch down with the wind leg first only letting opposite leg to go down by itself when speed decreases, all the time with roll into the wind. Really tough job, yes. Landing a TD into high winds is not suitable for everybody, and I mean RL. Always remember to abort landing if you don't see the manoeuvre absolutely clear, better another try than a hole in the ground. But this is a simulator and you can refly, isn't it?

S!

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Don't worry if you've lost your gear, wingtips and bent the prop. Just getting credit for the mission is enough for me...:) Besides, most real aircraft have published cross-wind limits that would require a divert if exceeded. I'm not sure what those limits are or even what the wind direction and speed is in the mission.

Edited by mytai01

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Don't worry if you've lost your gear, wingtips and bent the prop. Just getting credit for the mission is enough for me...:) Besides, most real aircraft have published cross-wind limits that would require a divert if exceeded. I'm not sure what those limits are or even what the wind direction and speed is in the mission.

From what I can tell its around 12m/s wind at ground with 5m/s turbulence. I'm eyeballing its direction but it seems like 40-60 degrees from left-front to right-back over the runway.

Handbooks usually say, 20% it was? higher than usual Speed when landing into high crosswinds and gusts.

Increase speed for gusts, but not for crosswind. Especially in a tail dragger. The extra speed means more time floating over the runway and the greater the chance of being blown off the side.

I believe you will have total success simply by taking care of one detail - by default that mission starts with your aircraft in the air, clean, and with an unlocked tailwheel!!! Lock your tailwheel and it'll be success for sure :-)

I usually set flaps at the third mark only, approach at no more than 220 km/h, in a crab, and just uncrab when I'm about to touchdown three wheel.

Then stick full back, rudder and if needed a bit of asymmetric wheel brakes, if it starts to want to go one side and I do not appear to have enough rudder authority.

Piece of cake !!! If you have the tailwheel locked...

There is an effect that I do find weird though, and that is the efficiency of the tailwheel when locked, against the weathervane tendency. With the wind present in that situation, after I get to taxi speed I notice I can taxi straight, along the rw, without any tendency to veer... I would think the real aircraft should still require some steering with the rudder ( ? )

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...