Contacts not appearing in TWS or BVR

WildBillKelsoe

All you have to do is listen to the tomcat shoot down of the Libyan aircraft to realize that what you are saying is incorrect. There is at least one more recent example from the gulf war too.

First off he should have seen the migs, but that's been covered already. So, he knew the migs were there and obviously they knew he was there too. Even not seeing the migs he should have prepared for the fight. However, no matter what he did to prepare it wouldn't affect the migs until he took action. The migs were in the same position. Of course there's plenty to do, but whether you see the enemy or not. At 60 miles all you're doing is looking at them and preparing. You can't do anything until they're closer. Unless you choose to go defensive and evade.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

All you have to do is listen to the tomcat shoot down of the Libyan aircraft to realize that what you are saying is incorrect. There is at least one more recent example from the gulf war too.

I thought we were talking about the F-15 in DCS?

Please list everything you'd do if you knew migs were at 60 miles, but they weren't on your radar yet. I'm open to learning.

Buzz

If I know they're there, someone has told me. They'll tell me what they're doing, and someone's telling them what I'm doing. If not, I can go by other sensor AZ data.

I can turn to see if they turn with me - I can begin to either funnel them or start running an intercept - it's amazing what you can do with good AZ data.

(But frankly, I expect them on radar before 60nm).

I thought we were talking about the F-15 in DCS?

Please list everything you'd do if you knew migs were at 60 miles, but they weren't on your radar yet. I'm open to learning.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yes, I expect them to be on radar too, but that's another problem he has. In this case AWACS told him they were there, but he can't see them on radar yet.

So, assuming you can't get them on radar like the OP couldn't. (yet) What would you do?

Buzz

Botton line is to figure out why he didn't have them on radar.

Sounds like an incorrect use of radar, scan zone of 17-30 sounds pretty low range where his designator is, this would mean if he was higher than the bandits say 35000ft with the designator reading 17-30 at about 10-20nm range his radar would probably be seeing well below 20000ft at 60nm.

The fact you can see MiG29s above 60nm well before they see you should give you plenty of options to plan for your advantage all depending on the situation, enemy weapons, assets, etc. You can go in straight on or play a ghost and use AWACS to bounce them but seeing them first gives you the options they don't yet have, the more aircraft involved in a non scripted event the greater the need to see and act first.

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Plenty of things you can do from 60 miles. For instance you can start building an energy advantage, sadly in DCS this is nowhere as powerful as it should be. If you have a wingman you can set up ambushes, it's not that hard to stay hidden from the target for one element while the other keeps tabs. If you're in a 1v1 you can predict a flight path based on current status and mission objectives and set yourself up for an ambush. If you're not permanently scanning out you can make it so that with a bit of luck you have first look and then can drop off the grid before he can see you too. Obviously this relies on some lucky timing and can work vice versa.

on a fourth run, the trouble is, they did appear in TWS after getting really close, I'd say within the published and agreed upon 45 nm, but not the venerable LRS. Also, they were at lower level, with separation of at least 10,000 ft in between us. I did pick them up but after a long fight with MPRF/HPRF, LRS/TWS modes and I do seem to remember that it was easier to spot things.

Did AWACs indicate they were hot? Just wondering because, I can pick up MiG-29s with both LRS and TWS at around 58-62 NM if hot (depending on the degree of "heat"). Also, those MiG's may have been terrain masking. The AI lately seems to like hugging the ground.

Question though, the F-15 radar can only be moved up and down not like Flanker radar right and left? because there is scan zone up down right left commands but I dont think it really changes azimuth.

It'll change azimuth in TWS mode. It'll push the narrow scan right or left.

I also noticed that predicted target range (+\-) command maybe this could be the answer? ...

Those keys simply increase or decrease the depicted range. The vertical slice of sky you are scanning is dependent on the TDC's location within the selected range scale.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Contacts not appearing in TWS or BVR

Did AWACs indicate they were hot? Just wondering because, I can pick up MiG-29s with both LRS and TWS at around 58-62 NM if hot (depending on the degree of "heat"). Also, those MiG's may have been terrain masking. The AI lately seems to like hugging the ground.

They were hot and head on AoT=180°

No it was in Georgia proper not even the mountainous area. Not a chance at 20000 ft published altitude.

It'll change azimuth in TWS mode. It'll push the narrow scan right or left.

So this

Those keys simply increase or decrease the depicted range. The vertical slice of sky you are scanning is dependent on the TDC's location within the selected range scale.

Yes in LRS/TWS with narrow beam it slews radar into right and left in the big hollow cone originally in LRS predicted target range reduced. Correct

as always, Ironhand to the rescue.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

They were hot and head on AoT=180°

No it was in Georgia proper not even the mountainous area. Not a chance at 20000 ft published altitude.

I would love to see the track but I doubt you have one. I'm puzzled as to why you couldn't pick them up.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Sounds like an incorrect use of radar, scan zone of 17-30 sounds pretty low range where his designator is, this would mean if he was higher than the bandits say 35000ft with the designator reading 17-30 at about 10-20nm range his radar would probably be seeing well below 20000ft at 60nm.

Bingo.

Put the TDC at the correct range and then change the elevation.