What is still broken/missing on the L-39 - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #71
ESAc_matador

Reputation power: 14
ESAc_matador has a spectacular aura aboutESAc_matador has a spectacular aura aboutESAc_matador has a spectacular aura aboutESAc_matador has a spectacular aura aboutESAc_matador has a spectacular aura about

I wont use the GPS, AT ALL!!! . By using the RSBN mods, the problem is solved, and the fun of instrumental flying, has not comparation.

Doing strike missions or even CAP, where yoiu need to be 99% of the time, focused on the instruments is what makes me "feel" there. WIth an eye on the Fuel...
ESAc_matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #72
tflash

Reputation power: 42
tflash is a name known to alltflash is a name known to alltflash is a name known to alltflash is a name known to alltflash is a name known to alltflash is a name known to alltflash is a name known to alltflash is a name known to alltflash is a name known to alltflash is a name known to alltflash is a name known to all

Well, in reality many private owners of the L-39 opt for installing a GPS.

I guess I would do the same.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 AM   #73
portman

Reputation power: 4
portman is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, a few questions that came to my mind lately:
1. At this picture (and many others) you can see the range scale for the radio range finder, on the right hand side of the gunsight. Where is that range scale on "our" L-39's? -> https://www.flugzeugforum.de/data/at...bf8dfd775c.jpg
Edit: Has the radio range finder been implemented at all?

2. East German pilots keep telling that there was only a small time frame for shooting the R-3S missile, because the minimum speed for shooting the R-3S was just a little bit below the maximum aircraft speed (where the airbrake is being engaged automatically). Doesn't seem to be the case in "our" L-39's. Any thoughts about this?

Last edited by portman; 12-15-2017 at 10:14 AM.
portman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #74
GeorgeLKMT

Reputation power: 28
GeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to all

1. The gauge you're seeing on the picture is a part of SRD-5 "KVANT" target rangefinder. It was only present on early models and later removed due to its unreliability.

2. The armament system is unblocked above 310km/h and it's certainly not smart enough to block the weapons based on loadout. So there might as well be a requirement for minimum speed specifically for R-3S (although I can't find any information on it), but the aircraft will let you fire it above 310km/h anyway.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #75
portman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLKMT View Post
1. The gauge you're seeing on the picture is a part of SRD-5 "KVANT" target rangefinder. It was only present on early models and later removed due to its unreliability.
Cool, thank you. Do you know if the KVANT was replaced by a different rangefinder? Or is there simply no rangefinder installed on "our" L-39?
Old 12-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #76
GeorgeLKMT

Reputation power: 28
GeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to all

No, there wasn't anything replacing it. Maybe on L-39MS/L-59 Super Albatros, but that's a different story.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #77
Pilot Ike

Reputation power: 3
Pilot Ike will become famous soon enoughPilot Ike will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by portman View Post

2. East German pilots keep telling that there was only a small time frame for shooting the R-3S missile, because the minimum speed for shooting the R-3S was just a little bit below the maximum aircraft speed (where the airbrake is being engaged automatically). Doesn't seem to be the case in "our" L-39's. Any thoughts about this?
I thought R-3S were never used in training on L-39 by the East German Air Force. That's interesting to hear. Could you get more information on how they were used, i.e. did East German trainee pilots actually fire missiles in training? What did they shoot at, and what was the setup like?
Pilot Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #78
portman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Ike View Post
I thought R-3S were never used in training on L-39 by the East German Air Force. That's interesting to hear. Could you get more information on how they were used, i.e. did East German trainee pilots actually fire missiles in training? What did they shoot at, and what was the setup like?
Actually, only the training missile R-3U was being used for training. This missile recorded all data like target distance, g-forces, speed etc. and could be analyzed after the flight. The conditions for shooting the real R-3S could never be achieved: The minimum speed for shooting this missile was Mach 0.8. This speed could only be obtained in a dive. At this speed though, the speed brakes would extend. At the same time, the pilot would have to keep the target for 3 seconds within the missile head's 3° detection angle in a range between 1200 and 4000 meters without exceeding 2 g. That conditions were practically impossible to achieve, so in 1983 the missile training was completely removed from the training plan and the radio rangefinders were decomissioned. The conversion to the R-60 missile was being discussed, but not realized. -> Taken from the book "Strahltrainer L-39 Albatros" by PPV which was written by a former GDR flight instructor

Edit: I don't know where this "Minimum R-3S speed - Mach 0.8" comes from, but I will keep researching

Last edited by portman; 12-16-2017 at 09:07 PM.