SCUDs working now

mono6020

some observations i got here:

the range in ME is 450 km, but:

1. if you set the target over 350~355km - it will not shoot, only rise the missile
  2. if you set the target over ~295km, at this distance the missile explode in the air
  3. fire at group is not working, only fire at point

so set "fire at point" and target range under 295km and they will go in space and fall near target - not so precise :)

• ED Team

the range in ME is 450 km, but:

if you set the target over 350~355km - it will not shoot, only rise the missile

if you set the target over ~295km, at this distance the missile explode in the air

Range of Scud from 50 to 300 km.

fire at group is not working, only fire at point

Yes, as real life.

so set "fire at point" and target range under 295km and they will go in space and fall near target - not so precise :)

Missile still WIP.

In the future, we will add realistic dispersion of about one kilometer at a range of 300 km.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

2. if you set the target over ~295km, at this distance the missile explode in the air

Both are realistic. Some of these missiles have a tendency to break apart mid-air. This was particularly true of iraqi-modified or iraqi-manufactured variants

On the second point, these are not precise weapons. Scud-B has a CEP of 900 meters, meaning it has a 50% chance of landing somewhey within a 900m radius circle centered on the target point. Not so precise indeed

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Missile still WIP.

In the future, we will add realistic dispersion of about one kilometer at a range of 300 km.

Chizh- see above, actual dispersion is quite a bit greater than 1km@300 (unless you calculate dispersion the same way CEP is calculated)

Will Patriot be able to engage scuds now that they're functioning?

Edited by ngreenaway

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I don't get this:

fire at group is not working, only fire at point

Yes, as real life.

Maybe i wasn't clear, my apologies: in Mission Editor, select SCUD group, Advanced Waypoint Actions, Perform Task, Attack Group - choose an enemy group, start mission - nothing happens

A note on what I mentioned for CEP , I've found federation of American sciences lists scud B at 900m, and center for strategic & international studies lists it at 450m

Possible someone mixed diameter and radius? Or people working from wildly different sources of data

System:

Yeah the Scud is not a precision weapon by any means. There was a "precision" guidance kit developed later on but no one used it to my knowledge because there were already better missiles available..

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Chizh- see above, actual dispersion is quite a bit greater than 1km@300 (unless you calculate dispersion the same way CEP is calculated)

Will Patriot be able to engage scuds now that they're functioning?

Patriots were engaging the SCUD mod no issue.....I could lock on to the scuds with 120's as well when I was trying to intercept, not sure if I hit one or not tho lol :P

• ED Team

I completely forgot to indicate one of the important conditions for success of launch. The launcher vehicle should be level. In reality, a slope of no more than 3 degrees is allowed there.

In the game, the launcher does not yet know how to level itself, so if you put the vehicle on a strong slope, the missile will fly away from the target.

We will think about how to ensure the alignment of the launcher on a slope and how to look for a suitable site on terrain.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

I don't get this:

Maybe i wasn't clear, my apologies: in Mission Editor, select SCUD group, Advanced Waypoint Actions, Perform Task, Attack Group - choose an enemy group, start mission - nothing happens

Well, I think the problem is that you are asking it to aim at an enemy group.

My understanding is that SCUD and it's related weapons of that era were to be aimed at places on a map, a grid reference number. You could aim it at a building, a base... but aiming it at an enemy armor formation, not really within it's capability or mission. It never had the accuracy to take on targets that move occasionally. It BARELY had enough accuracy to do anything at all using conventional warheads, on a point target...

It's different today with all the GPS and guided artillery rocket/missiles. But SCUD's are actually an old technology. Remember, the first SCUD versions entered service in 1957 !!! :cry: I mean, in 1957 my parents hadn't even met yet! And I'm old!! WW2 era Warbirds were still in service in many countries in those days!

SCUD's were a source of deep concern during Desert STorm, not because of the conventional warheads, but because we thought they might have chem or bio weapons, or possibly even some sort of crude radioactive device like perhaps a dirty bomb. Part of that fear centered around wanting to limit the war to the existing participants, while Saddam wanted to piss off Israel to draw them into the conflict.

It's probable that programming a target into the SCUD A and B was probably somewhat time consuming, unlike today's GPS guided munitions, and that too would keep most SCUD's to fixed targets that never ever move.