Back to DSC after 8 Years

airea

Hello guys,

I used to fly DCS since its Lockon days and I had played A-10 until 2012 with a certain level of seriousness for my standards. I was not into online stuff but I had a Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, 2 monitors, TrackIR (I dont know which iteration but probably second or third) and I was able to fly relatively simple missions where I delivered every kind of bombs and missiles. Then I discovered scale modelling and stopped simming since then. Very recently I have realized that DSC has reached to an amazing level of realism and eyecandy, which I want to again give a try and learn new stuff (especially F-16). I have a couple of questions re the setup and need some advice on a new system.

* I have a Dell 2711 IPS panel monitor (9 years old), which was and is performing very well so far but do you think that I should be going for a new monitor? Does refresh rates (75 or even 144hz) of current monitors really add anthing to DSC?

* I want to go for a new system, where I am planning to buy a Ryzen 9 3900 (or 3950) processor and nvidia 2080 süper or 2080ti level card. Do you think I should wait for the 3000 series of nvidia? Would 2080 can be enough for me for another 5-6 years?

* My monitor delivers 2560-1920 resolution at max. Do you think 2080 series video card is unnecessary for such resolutions?

regards and thanks in advance for your help…

salih

1. Depends on your expectations - if you're fine with it, then OK. To really take advantage of high refresh rates you have to have stable high fps count - which you'll be struggling to get in DCS.

2. You can wait all your life for newer hardware to come but you'll miss every day on DCS enjoyment unless you have decent PC atm.

3. Depends on the settings. Go MSAAx4, high shadows, SSLR and you'll need every bit of its power to handle that.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

* I have a Dell 2711 IPS panel monitor (9 years old), which was and is performing very well so far but do you think that I should be going for a new monitor? Does refresh rates (75 or even 144hz) of current monitors really add anthing to DSC?

No. DCS is so slow (compared to some FPS shooters) where you don't benefit from higher refresh rate than just maybe some pleasure for an average player.

So if you are happy for your display you can keep using it.

* I want to go for a new system, where I am planning to buy a Ryzen 9 3900 (or 3950) processor and nvidia 2080 süper or 2080ti level card. Do you think I should wait for the 3000 series of nvidia? Would 2080 can be enough for me for another 5-6 years?

I would wait the 3k series now as it likely drops 2k prices, but then it as well replaces the 2k fairly quickly and you are left with more expensive 3k models. It is challenging.

If you are not going to VR route, you are likely fine for next 3-5 years. I wouldn't push it much past 3 years in the current GPU development pace and what ED is developing (new graphics engine, new terrain engine, new AI etc etc so requirements can jump, or get lower with the Vulcan technology or stay same.).

* My monitor delivers 2560-1920 resolution at max. Do you think 2080 series video card is unnecessary for such resolutions?

Yes, but you can always raise up the graphics settings with more FPS. Yet you should be good with even GTX1600 model.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yet you should be good with even GTX1600 model.
For the time being maybe (DCS develops over time you know) and with settings on average. Add a bit more life into the game and the FPS drops like a rock.

My point: If you have the $$ to buy a decent video card, get one (your current monitor will do the job just fine).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

For the time being maybe (DCS develops over time you know) and with settings on average. Add a bit more life into the game and the FPS drops like a rock.

My point: If you have the $$ to buy a decent video card, get one (your current monitor will do the job just fine).

It depends. Adding "more life" will probably hog the cpu and no $1000 card will help your fps.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Going from a GTX780 3GB to a GTX1080ti 11GB on the same setup made a big difference anyway so...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I agree with the 1080Ti route. Its great as it is now without VR...and even with VR it holds its own with even high end VR headsets. But even still, the next gen RTX30xx cards are supposedly due out hopefully by the end of summer and are supposedly monsters even compared to the RTX20xx cards.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I myself am coming back to this from long absence. I stopped after Lomac, FC1, and Blackshark.

I just didn't have time to dedicate to DCS which I have plenty of now thanks to quarantine.

Plus, I am VR content developer so I had all the VR gears I brought home thanks to Stay Home order. And Steam suggested DCS and free trials so here I am again.

I could use an RTX card but will wait until next gen comes out. I have no excuse to my wife for spending $700 during crisis.

divorce is always a good excuse to buy a video card

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

• 3 weeks later...
Hello guys,

I used to fly DCS since its Lockon days and I had played A-10 until 2012 with a certain level of seriousness for my standards. I was not into online stuff but I had a Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, 2 monitors, TrackIR (I dont know which iteration but probably second or third) and I was able to fly relatively simple missions where I delivered every kind of bombs and missiles. Then I discovered scale modelling and stopped simming since then. Very recently I have realized that DSC has reached to an amazing level of realism and eyecandy, which I want to again give a try and learn new stuff (especially F-16). I have a couple of questions re the setup and need some advice on a new system.

regards and thanks in advance for your help…

salih

Unless you just want to spend the extra money. A 2070 Super is the best bang for you buck right now in video cards. You are paying hundreds of $$$ for just a few FPS gain.

But if you have the money and want a 2080ti then buy it. The 3900 is also a bit of over kill unless you plan on doing any video editing. DCS really does not use the extra cores. Most games run best on a 4 core 8 thread CPU.

I am using a Ryzen 5 1600 and a 2060 video card with 32gig of Ram and DCS runs great.

But just my 2 cents worth.