Server Problem

For a long time my son a friend and myself were making multiplayer servers and flying together. For the last few months when either of us makes a server we get "Server Off Line. I have many tickets trying to solve this and have even spent at least three hours with comcast high level tech support to no avail. Now DCS has told me they cannot help me and to try on the forums. I have port forwarded port 10308 and tried my best to solve this problem. The one thing that really bothers me is that we can join servers on the main multiplayer page and fly together, but we cannot join each other as I have stated. Can anyone help me solve this?

I tried this and yes it did see it, however I cannot get the canyouseeme site to come up after the first try. all I get now is "this site can't be reached ?

I am not sure I understand the issue totally but have you tried a different DNS server?

I just optimized my PC Op system (Windows 10) for memory use and Internet speed, and obtained a 10% gain in broadband speed with those solutions and this DNS server:

https://thehackernews.com/2018/04/fastest-dns-service.html

Not sure if it will help, I hope it does.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Sorry to say it didn't help. We still get "server off line" I hope someone else has an idea because I don't know what else to do.Also, does anyone know why I can't get http://www.canyouseeme.org to load, I always get "this site cant be reached" .

Can you try an nslookup on http://www.canyouseeme.org? From a command prompt type:

nslookup http://www.canyouseeme.org

Please post your result here. Something weird is happening with your DNS I suspect.

Well, I can tell you that the IP address for Server is Cloudflare's primary DNS server address. So that part appears to be working normally.

Have you tried connection by direct IP address instead of the server browser?

awjudge, I am awaiting a response on the above request.

Apologies, didn't realise I was on-call... :noexpression:

I think the DNS issue is a distraction and I don't think it's relevant to your issue.

The thing we need to be 100% sure of is that your port forwarding rules are working correctly. I would usually use canyouseeme.org to test that, but if you have issues with it, there are lots of other options. Try https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ for example.

Until we can confirm that the port forwarding is working, and there is no firewall between the router and your DCS server, then all bets are off for the time being.

So just to chime in here, the normal list of things to check..

1. Your Firewall is actually set to allow DCS to communicate through it in both directions This is NOT your router portfowarding, but your WINDOWS Software Firewall, be it something like Windows default Firewall or your AV's .

2. Your Routers ports are fully open or NAT complient.

3. You have checked your ports are all open

If all of the ABOVE is correct you have done it on the OTHER machine as well, there is no point in fixing your end or trying to fix your end if the issues on the OTHER end. Your saying your trying to connect to your son's machine, have either of you tried to connect to another server? If YOU can connect to another server then the issues not on your machine/network but his network, if you can't but he can then the issues on yours.

Too many people forget that it's not just 1 machine / network in the loop here.

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

Yeah, that's good advice too.

One thing that I did think of, is everyone running the same version of DCS? Usually, the server browser won't let you connect to a server on a different version, but it might be worth sanity checking it.

Yes that's the only we cam do it as the servers we create never show in the server list, any ideas why that would be? Also I have made a spare computer into a dedicated server but two things, when I start the server, on my home screen I get a big white square and all it says is in small letters " dcs dedicated server or something to that nature. But when I start the gui I get the normal server screen and can change maps etc and after the map loads the top right says that the server is active. and all we get when we try to connect to it is "server off line" and I am going crazy trying to solve these issues, so any help is greatly appreciated.

One other thing to check. Have a look at http://www.whatsmyip.org and take a note of your IP address. Make sure that's the same address you see on your Router under its WAN settings.

The white window with the dedicated server is normal, it used to show a DCS splash page, but in the last few versions it seems just to be white. Not sure why. To configure the dedicated server you need to connect to it via the web interface on the server itself (localhost:8088 by default).

This might be easier to troubleshoot via something like Discord. Where are you geographically? I could probably find some time to have a look at your setup, see if I can figure out what's wrong.

I'm sorry, my last post seems to have disappeared. Yes we do that normally because our servers never appear in the server list. I am confused by the fact that we can join a server on the list and fly together but we cannot connect when one of us makes a server.

AWJUDGE, Geographically I am located in south central Pennsylvania between Johnstown and Altoona. Something strange is happening with this forum. I click on one thread and I get different different posts than before I clicked.

I FINALLY GOT THROUGH TO A COMCAST TECH THAT KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING (AND HE IS A GAMER ) We found out that it is something to do with an outgoing rule for the executable thru the firewall. He had me turn off my firewall and my son was able to connect to my server right away.

Excellent, glad you got it sorted. In my experience, there's only 3 things that can mess with DCS servers. 1. Firewall on the machine running the server, 2. Port forwarding misconfigurations and 3. Carrier Grade NAT on the ISP end.

Happy flying!