Tips for generating the best clouds in DCS

markturner1960

Hi, what is the best way to generate decent looking clouds in the sim? All I have come across lately is a pretty weedy layer of very light clouds. I see we have dynamic weather now, whats the best way to use the features this version currently has to get the visuals looking nicer?

Thanks

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Sincerelly, I think that ED doesn´t have programmers with the necessary skills to develop new clouds, appart of performance disaster seen patch after patch (beta or non beta)... the clouds were promised by 2019. 6 month after without any new (I remember Kate saying that were start working in May

So.....how do you get the best from what we currently have?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I think the question was not about how to get better looking clouds but instead how to set the weather system to get a cool looking cloudy sky.

Tough I don't have great skills in setting the right parameters for a cloudy weather system within the dynamic weather settings - i'm quite sure there are some good threads around here, youtube vids and scripts to download in the userfiles section.

Main thing would be to select 'dynamic weather' in the ME. Then set at least 2 systems with one high pressure and one low pressure system. Problem is that the standard radius for each system is far too huge and therefore overlapping each other over the whole map. But that's already leading too far by now...

Just have a look here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/search/?tags=dynamic%20weather

Here is a very detailed video about setting dynamic weather:

Edited by AnimalMother711

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

In all honesty setting the density to >= 9 is really the best you can get, just so long as you're okay with having a solid layer.

I've never really played around with dynamic weather but I might have a bit of a play with it later.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I have zero knowledge about the programming issues,compatabilities etc but licensing the other companies that have been making very advanced weather and incredible graphics for the other simulations for decades may be a solution. I would not flinch to pay extra for a cloud,texture weather engine made for DCS.

Me too!!

Thanks for everyones input!

I have zero knowledge about the programming issues,compatabilities etc but licensing the other companies that have been making very advanced weather and incredible graphics for the other simulations for decades may be a solution. I would not flinch to pay extra for a cloud,texture weather engine made for DCS.

+1 here.

Superclouds module coming to a DCS store near you... :megalol:

I probably spent $2000+ just on payware for M$ last 3 versions and that doesn't include joysticks/hardware etc. I don't think there was anything vanilla left. A certain Orb..'s airports I spent over $500

A wipe and reload took a entire day