Sling load descent rate

CptTangerine

Hi

I have Googled around for this but I can't find it, could anyone tell me the max descent rate for slung loads?

I have practised quite a bit but I crash the load as often as not, if I knew what descent-rate to look for, I might have a better rate of success. This issue has led me to avoid Mission 2 of the Worlds Apart campaign. I would quite like to get past it so that I can enjoy the rest.

Cheers!

CptT

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

I don't know anything about descent rate limitations, but if you activate the automatic unhook function the load can manage rather high descent speeds (basically slam it down), or at least it did in earlier versions.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

the correct sink rate is "very slow".

In fact, it is a combination of zero airspeeds regardless of the direction and very very low sink rate. The VSI is not sensitive enough as a guideline. Use the Radar altimeter and descend 1 feet per second to be on the save side.

Always happy landings ;)

Look at this video maybe you will feel something.Because in fact it 's not a question of intruments or any piloting help that the game offers.

.As in the real world you have to get the feeling of your cargo.

And do as smoother as you are able to do. upto Have the sensation to be stoped.Last thing don't forget to check direction of wind if there is in the mission.Sink rate depend of the weight of the load the altitude of your work,and your quantity of fuel to manage your MTOW.

See you next time.

I have practised quite a bit but I crash the load as often as not, if I knew what descent-rate to look for, I might have a better rate of success.

CptT

Keep track of your decent rate, slow down a little each time and make note of what rate you stop damaging the cargo, then you'll know. :pilotfly:

Cheers. I thought that this was going to be one of those oh-everyone-knows-that questions. I guess not.

I'll just have to fiddle about with it and see what I can do.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

If you need some practice with sling loading here are 2 missions that I did.

Need the Nevada map for both

Hoover dam slingloaders - sling work into electrical substations

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303824/

Vegas slingloaders - sling work to the top of buildings in vegas

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303825/

both will work as single or multi player missions

If you need some practice with sling loading here are 2 missions that I did.

Need the Nevada map for both

Hoover dam slingloaders - sling work into electrical substations

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303824/

Vegas slingloaders - sling work to the top of buildings in vegas

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303825/

both will work as single or multi player missions

I knew the first one. Played it on the server.

Verry good mission for practicing cargo transport :thumbup::thumbup:

Always happy landings ;)

I havent really tried slingload on the DCS Huey( except very briefly one time) but I have a lot of IRL experience.

If the question is about putting down the load, its like CPLH says.

For helos with Radar altimeter you use it and look at the R.Alt. value when the load leave gound, that is you reference for putting it down. (If no R.Alt use the eyes to get a heigh regerence, preferebly in reference to threes height etc.)

When putting it down the sensitivity of course differs a lot depending on what it is you are moving, but as a pilot you dont slam down anything, not even if you sling a rock.

Most things a bit heavier will be sensitive so you try to make a really smooth landing for the load.

Some things, like buildings/cabins etc made of wood and a couple of tons of weight wont survive even the slightest vertical speed or even any lateral speed.

Sling loads should be flown with the ”helo” in your collective hand(positive controll of vertical speed) and stopped completely just above ground and then sloooowly descended until on ground.

Do not release the sling overhead the load because it will hit the load and damage both the load and the connecting ring in the upper end of the sling.

For normal flying, vertical speed isnt really an issue but you (try to) fly smooth and that limits the practical VS for that reason.

For the approach, limit the vs to maximum 500fpm.

When speed reduces, you can not have to high vs because the engine power wont be enough to stop the vertical speed if you have a heavy sling load and low airspeed.

I dont really know the Indicated airspeed in the DCS Huey st low speeds( many real helos have unreliable IAS below 30knots) but as a rule of thumb do not have higher descent rate than IASx10 of the IAS...that’ll say, 50kt = 500, 40= 400 etc.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Of course I agree with all here about taking it easy when doing it right. The reason I mention the possibility to slam the load down was purely for gaming reasons. OP wanted to finish the mission and go on.

I know from DCS 1.5.7, that I still consider my main install (entire 2.x are by me considered BETA due to everything it broke that is still not corrected), the sling loads are over-sensitive and break no matter how careful you are. Activating automatic release (as usual, I never remember correct naming of things) was basically the only way to deliver the load. But it also made the load basically indestructible unless releasing it manually (or breaking the sling).

I don't know if the over-sensitivity has been corrected, but I guess the over-sustainability when in automatic release is still there.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Sling loading one of those things that current simulations can't replicate very well, because it relies on visual and kinetic dexterity. You have to develop a "feel" for it while at the same time have immediate visual cues.

In game you just don't have enough feedback to keep up. It would be awesome if you could.

Thanks all, that's some really useful information. I have a couple of sling-load missions that I made for myself. Not very advance, but good enough to practise with.

I'll try to apply some of that info and see if my success rate improves.

Cheers!

CptT

• 4 weeks later...

They all added some good points here. However this is a simulation, and thus we must treat it like such, adapting the senses that would feel feedback, towards the sensors given optically.

What i usually do is i take a long approach to the target by adjusting trim and vertical speed as needed till i am nearing the target. At this point i adjust to takeoff-trim while either holding neutral Vertical speed if the situation requires it, or descending in vertical speed. While i do this i make sure im approaching headwind, as there is no use to fight the wind and pedals at the same time, i check and double check that my EGT keeps below 625 degrees Celsius , i check the dropoff point and i look for ground references to aid in my decent, and to keep me center of target (trees, buildings, traffic pole, anything that is static to the ground). I adjust with RPM gov. switch if needed.

And people say the Huey is easy..

Norwegian Rotorhead w\ All Helicopters

Watercooled AMD FX-8350 | Geforce 1060 6GB | 16 GiG DDR3 | Warthog Everything w/ pendulum pedals | Rift VR

Watercooled AMD Ryzen 9500X | RTX 3080 12GB | 64 GB DDR4 3600mhz | Warthog Everything w/Pendulum Pedals | Rift VR (CV1)

So far, I'm having a decent success rate on the Mi-8 ... well, I'm 2 for 2 in the Oilfield Campaign. Not much of a winning streak, I know, but I'll take it. It's tense.

after you hook the Cargo, record the length of the rope. Then on Approch to your dropzone just decent in a straight glidepath ca. 20 feet higher than recorded ropelength above the dropzone and gently drop it untill autounhook disconnects the Cargo.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Tried Slingload with the Huey for the first time the other day.

I set up a mission with the huey grossweight around 7300 and the load was 2200 somewhere, making it max grossweight( normally you have a slightly higher GW with external load but I didnt know/find out).

I did set up buttons for connecting the load and load release.

I actually think the sling load feature is quite good. I didnt fly very long, only a couple of traffic circuits with landings/putting the load down but for this it was better than I expected.

after you hook the Cargo, record the length of the rope. Then on Approch to your dropzone just decent in a straight glidepath ca. 20 feet higher than recorded ropelength above the dropzone and gently drop it untill autounhook disconnects the Cargo.

Good tip! Exactly how I do (except for not using auto unhook, I release the load manually with a button, exactly as we do IRL).

This( aim ~20 fot higher) is also the way we teach slingload approaches. We use either Decision Height warning on the radio altimeter, or another feature autopilot preset value as markers on the Radio height scale to get a visual cue for how close the slingload is to the ground.

I didnt try but it sure would be possible to set the radio alt warning on the DCS Huey as well.

Edited by Gunnars Driver

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe