Joystick curves settings

Aries101

Hello.

At the moment I am trying to learn avoiding too fast aproach to runway on landing :lol: , and as part of that process I wanted to ask what is curvature settings you can recomend me (I guess i wan't ones that would make my life easier while flying and landing)

At the moment, both of my cyclics are at 20 and rotor at 30 .

I wonder if there is any better settings for it. I have Thrustmaster Hotas X.

Thank you

Took down curves on collective to 0 and left rudder to 15 to have more precise control and it works nicely.

Also new approach to landing is never let plane go below 5 M/S (think it is righ measure) and it worked. as soon ad my VS deops below 1 I know I am doomed.

Now I need to fly more and practise. (I hope they will fix crashing bug son) I love flying with huey.:(

I would suggest you use saturation on X and Y for cyclic to reduce sensitivity, curvature would give you odd rate of change over centre which you do not want.

Keep in mind the position of the cyclic changes as center of gravity changes and the balance point will not be in the center. Saturation on the other hand reduces (or increases) the sensitivity of the control in a linear fashion over the full travel.

Ditch the center detent it's not something thats there in real life.

Collective you can run some curvature set the input type to "slider" then you can taylor the transfer curve to suit. Especially helpful to give some fine adjustment at the lower end of travel on those little sliders used on joysticks.

Torque pedals about the only thing you can do is apply curvature to give the sense of more authority from pedal input.

Pick your landing spot keep your IAS at about 60Kts and VSI at no more than 500 FT/minute aim for 60Kts and 500Ft/min when your about 20 Ft above the ground loose speed and transition in to a hover. Start with the full runway and practice till you arrive at a hover over the piano keys. As you descend keep an eye on rotor RPM you just need to balance descent rate speed and rotor RPM as you slow through about 40Kts you will need to put in some left torque pedal in to keep it straight.

What you do not want to do is find your self at height and no IAS at any height above 20ft, well initially as it is way to easy to drop the bird and get into VRS.

Happy trails. :thumbup:

If your new to helicopters practice hover to move and moving to hover.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello,

Here are my settings, I have a slight curvature for the ROLL and PITCH but the best would probably be to leave it at 0 because the center is constantly changing.

ROLL and PITCH

-Dead Zone : 0

-Saturation X : 100

-Saturation Y : 70

-Curvature : 0

RUDDER

-Saturation Y : 100

-Curvature : 14

COLLECTIVE

-Curvature : 19

Cursor checked

With my homemade equipment (near-reality reproduction), I have adjusted the saturation Y (70) with respect to the real course of the cyclic (-163.8 to 163.8 mm) see manual page 40

and lots and lots of free flight training and reading to understand flight dynamics :smilewink:

Edited by Tanuki44

• 1 month later...

I went from no curve to y sat 70 and 21 curve on roll and pitch. Made almost as much difference holding a (relatively) stable hover as switching from a WH stick to a Virple Warbird with light springs and light center (I do fly fast movers more than egg beaters).

I say relatively; I wouldn't want to stand next to me loading a stretcher at a hover, even with one skid on the ground. Something I've done for real with a much, much, much (much) better pilot in the right hand seat.

Some day I'll be good enough to stand next to my own helo. In the mean time I'm getting landings down to a CEP of about 5 meters, which is also a dramatic improvement.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Here are my settings, I have a slight curvature for the ROLL and PITCH but the best would probably be to leave it at 0 because the center is constantly changing.

ROLL and PITCH

-Saturation Y : 70

-Curvature : 10

RUDDER

-Curvature : 14

COLLECTIVE

-Curvature : 19

Cursor checked

With my homemade equipment (near-reality reproduction), I have adjusted the saturation Y (70) with respect to the real course of the cyclic (-163.8 to 163.8 mm) see manual page 40

and lots and lots of free flight training and reading to understand flight dynamics :smilewink:

I would love to see a picture of your setup, sir.

Thanks.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...