Dynamic Campaign Engine - Page 67 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #661
MBot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
That makes me wonder: How does the DCE handle terrain elevation? I think you wrote somewhere that it assumes the terrain to be flat. Wouldn't that cause some issues with route planning in the high caucasian mountains?
Indeed. I think a setup with mountains between the sides would not be feasible unless both sides are set up to employ medium-high altitude tactics. But the lower terrain in the Kuban area could possibly work well.
MBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:00 AM   #662
Cristofer

Is it possible to have CAS kind of missions, where you fly to a specific area and engage enemy units nearby? Like a CAP, but A-G instead of A-A.
Cristofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #663
QuiGon
Veteran

I'm currently converting the Desert Tiger campaign to be playable with the Viggen. It works great so far, but I ran into a problem now that I can't solve:
I edited the db_loadouts.lua to include various Viggen loadouts. Now when I check the mission planer prior to mission start I can see the weapon loadout on the aircraft as it should be, but once I started the mission and sitting in the cockpit the aircraft is unarmed. Rearming did not work either as it doesn't offer me any weapons to hang on the plane. That told me, that the warehouse of the air field has probably been modified, so I checked it in the mission planner. There I could see that my assumption was correct and only certain weapons were available (mostly F-5 and F-4 weapons). So I searched through the campaign files for any warehouse definitions, but I couldn't find any.

So I wonder: How are the air base warehouses configured?

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #664
PB0_CEF

You will have to modify the warehouses file which is in the Base_mission.miz in the Init folder.
To avoid this, load my Desert Mirage 86 campaign an use its warehouse file : it should work fine
PB0_CEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #665
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB0_CEF View Post
You will have to modify the warehouses file which is in the Base_mission.miz in the Init folder.
To avoid this, load my Desert Mirage 86 campaign an use its warehouse file : it should work fine
Well, that makes sense... and should have been pretty ovious

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #666
molnibalage

I would pay any day for such a module instead new airplane modules.,,
molnibalage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #667
Haukka81

Quote:
Originally Posted by molnibalage View Post
I would pay any day for such a module instead new airplane modules.,,

And me too.

Even simple system like old EF2000 tactcom etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #668
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBot View Post
Priority: Higher number = higher priority. The ATO keeps assigning aircraft to targets/objectives, starting with highest priority targets, until all available aircraft are tasked. Priority is modified by the threat level of a mission. Of two possible missions with the same priority, the lower threat mission gets aircraft first for example.
In my Viggen conversion of your Desert Tiger campaign I had some suicide missions assigned to me, so I digged a bit into your code and as far as I can see there is no hard cap for the score (score = loadout capability * priority / threat). By that I mean the ATO generator does not drop sorties under a certain score threshold, because the risk would be too high. Instead it assigns aircraft to sorties (sorted by score) as long as there are aircraft available. If there are enough aircraft available it will even assign suicide sorties with a score as low as 0.03.
Am I seeing this right?

Last edited by QuiGon; 02-25-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #669
MBot
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
In my Viggen conversion of your Desert Tiger campaign I had some suicide missions assigned to me, so I digged a bit into your code and as far as I can see there is no hard cap for the score (score = loadout capability * priority / threat). By that I mean the ATO generator does not drop sorties under a certain score threshold, because the risk would be too high. Instead it assigns aircraft to sorties (sorted by score) as long as there are aircraft available. If there are enough aircraft available it will even assign suicide sorties with a score as low as 0.03.
Am I seeing this right?
Yes this is correct. You can control this by making sure that there are always sufficient alternative objectives which are scored higher than your desired threshold. If you are running into problems with this despite your regular targets, then intercept objectives are very thankful for this job. Make an intercept target with a very high aircraft requirement and your desired priority and it will suck up and block all remaining aircraft from being assigned to lower scored missions (intercept threat value is always 1). I think if you give the intercept target a radius of 0, then it should even prevent the assigned aircraft from ever launching and affecting your missions (hopefully a radius of 0 does not crash the game, haven't tested it).
MBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #670
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBot View Post
Yes this is correct. You can control this by making sure that there are always sufficient alternative objectives which are scored higher than your desired threshold. If you are running into problems with this despite your regular targets, then intercept objectives are very thankful for this job. Make an intercept target with a very high aircraft requirement and your desired priority and it will suck up and block all remaining aircraft from being assigned to lower scored missions (intercept threat value is always 1). I think if you give the intercept target a radius of 0, then it should even prevent the assigned aircraft from ever launching and affecting your missions (hopefully a radius of 0 does not crash the game, haven't tested it).
Hmm, alternative objectives are actually the reason why I digged into the code, because I get pretty risky sorties when there should be much better sorties available.

In my Viggen variant of the Desert Tiger campaign, the ATO always sends me on a suicidal mission to bomb the ammo depots at Altes Lager, instead to send me to the much less defended Creech AFB like it does in the original F-5 version. Originally I thought this might be due to some loadout settings of my Viggens, but I can't see anything there what might cause this ATO behaviour, so I started digging to understand ATO process.

So far I figured out that the sortie to attack Altes Lager has a very low score of just 0,037, because the target priority and the capaility of the choosen loadout is very low (both just 1), while the threat is very high (27):
capability * priority / threat = score
1 * 1 / 27 = 0,037

I don't know the score an attack on Creech AFB would have, but it must be much higher as its priority is much highter (3), as well as the capability of the possible loadouts, while the threat should be much lower. So I don't really understand why it ignores Creech AFB and instead sends me to Altes Lager deep in enemy territory. It seems like it doesn't even consider Creech AFB for some reasons, that I haven't figured out yet, but I keep digging.

Anyways, digging through all this well written code made me realize even more how much work you put in there. The DCE is a monster and a great piece of work!