do you like the Gaz or Huey - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #11
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by desworks View Post
what about the rumours with the gazelle like "the crazy bugged flightmodel" etc.?
Whilst I am very open minded your reply seems to lack any detail merely pointing to 'rumours", I'd prefer to listen to what IRL pilots have to say even here on this forum and even those with considerable knowledge. Besides robust discussion should flesh out real problems that might be addressed rather then basing anything on simply opinion based hyperbola.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #12
desworks

'rumours' just cause i've heard it from old (2017) postings. just don't take it literally, might the wrong word was chosen from me
desworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:38 AM   #13
FragBum

Quote:
'rumours' just cause i've heard it from old (2017) postings. just don't take it literally, might the wrong word was chosen from me
I see perhaps a language difference, alright Ramsay 's post pretty much sets out the current state, My personal take is that whilst the Gazelles flight model is not perfect and to be fair there are discussions on pretty much every models FM which as I indicated if done in a respectful way can only be a good thing for DCS and the models available.

What I understand of flight is fairly limited so I depend on people with knowledge to explain the issues, show how this affect the FM and what the practical implications are. The publisher has in the past taken on issues raised and worked through them. For me the current state of the Gazelle is not a deal breaker and I understand this is a personal choice others may or may not agree.

BTW I was giving the Huey some love last night and about an hour into some practice I found myself taking off then swinging the Huey and flying backwards and proceeded to fly the circuit backwards (cause I can mostly, maybe I need ) only to find I exceeded EGT limits. Well first time since the changes to Huey EGT were implemented that I had broke one in this way*. Talk about bugs,..

*It's usually the normal method small object collides with large planet size object, planet size object wins.

So if you have links maybe start a new thread so we can see what these issues are.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:03 PM   #14
Focha

Quote:
what about the rumours with the gazelle like "the crazy bugged flightmodel" etc.?

See the post Flight Model V2.

It's not that the FM is bad, I think it is a matter of how they choose to implement the controls. Meaning the interface between user/hardware/sim.

Probably this decision was based in centered spring joysticks, but it is not a good representation. It feels more like flying in Jane's Longbow 2 than in a 2018's sim.

Personally I really don't like it, because for me does not represent what flying a real helicopter is as much as other modules.

Huey also has some details in FM that are a bit odd, like the elastic wobbling roll during cruise with minimal joystick displacement near deadzone, but it feels much more realistic than Gazelle in the FM/user interface/trim.

I like both regarding 3D modeling and sound, Gazelle has better texture work, I believe. And can't beat the fact that has more weapons, specially wired missiles.

It is hard, but if you are choosing based on what flying an helicopter should feel, go for Huey, if you want more systems/weapons, then go for Gazelle.

I hope that in the future they can gives us a more representative interface, specially for FFB joystick users... Right now feels like Apache from Janes LB2.

Mi-8 and Ka-50 are great helicopters also.

Cheers.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #15
Darrylx444

I have both, but I prefer the Gazelle. Partly because it is newer (to me) / novelty effect. But also it seems more effective in combat.

One small complaint: personally, I find the flight controls a tiny bit "sticky". When I make a small movement of the cyclic or collective, the response is zero until it gets outside a small dead zone. With autopilot/trim off or on. To be clear: I do NOT have a dead zone set up in my controls. And this does not happen on my other heli- modules.

Anyway, I do recommend the Gazelle. But at this moment, it is not possible to fly it (in open beta) due to the last update deliberately locking it off from user access. Hope that gets fixed soon.
DCS 2.5.2, FC3, UH1H, AV8BNA, Ka50, A10C, P51D, Windows 8.1, i5 4460 3.2GHz, GTX 1060 6G, 16G Ram, 256G SSD, VKB Gladiator 2 Stick, Saitek Pro Rudder, CH 6-lever Quadrant w/ custom grips, VoiceAttack, TrackIR 5 (reversed), 1080P Ceiling-Mounted Projector onto 120" diagonal wall space, 5.1 Surround Speakers
Darrylx444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #16
Remarkymarkable

I have all 4 helicopters in DCS, my favorites are the Huey and Gazelle. I had been flying the
Huey almost exclusively for the past year and recently picked up the Gaz. I love the Huey for
it's FM and sling loading abilities in the game. With sling loading you can really have an impact
on what's happening on the battlefield.
I love jumping into the Mistral version of the Gazelle and shooting down the fixed wing planes
that just gunned me in my Huey when I'm on the ground during sling loading....pay back
Remarkymarkable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #17
BaD CrC
ED Translator

We got a demo last night from one of our pilot who really master the Gazelle and shared his knowledge during our Tuesday's trainings. I can tell you that everybody's mind (including mine) was blown out despite the fact that we spent many hours flying her before, it turned out that we were just scratching the surface. This thing is deadly. Second after the Ka50. I personally never used the autopilot functions and the trimmer with this aircraft, and proper explanation changed everything. At the end of the session, we were all big fans of this chopper.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #18
Flagrum
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaD CrC View Post
(...) proper explanation changed everything. At the end of the session, we were all big fans of this chopper.
Well then, please share!

I think, many of us would want to know more about the AP and how it does what it does so that the helo's flight behaviour seem so much ... "different" than that of other helos.

Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:09 PM   #19
swatstar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagrum View Post
Well then, please share!

I think, many of us would want to know more about the AP and how it does what it does so that the helo's flight behaviour seem so much ... "different" than that of other helos.
Completely agree, tell ur friend to make a video and post it round here!
Old 09-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #20
sorcer3r

Gazelle is still my number one DCS module.

There are just two things I don't like.

- Viviane /TV optic "stuttering" (very frustrating especially when you zoom in)
- multicrew seems still not working properly. (but this is I guess a DCS issue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaD CrC View Post
We got a demo last night from one of our pilot who really master the Gazelle and shared his knowledge during our Tuesday's trainings. I can tell you that everybody's mind (including mine) was blown out despite the fact that we spent many hours flying her before, it turned out that we were just scratching the surface. This thing is deadly. Second after the Ka50. I personally never used the autopilot functions and the trimmer with this aircraft, and proper explanation changed everything. At the end of the session, we were all big fans of this chopper.
I know a military flight instructor (EC135) and he really likes the Gazelle and the Mi-8 in DCS.
His "philosophy" is to fly helicopters with as few control inputs as possible and to use autopilot and trim as much as possible. (Which works really good with these 2 helicopters)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focha View Post
Huey also has some details in FM that are a bit odd, like the elastic wobbling roll during cruise with minimal joystick displacement near deadzone, ...
After over a year I flew the dcs Uh1 again this week. And this roll wobbling was too much for me. Not just during cruise, almost always the roll axis was a mess.