[A-10C] Operation Titan Angel

Hi, not sure what happened to my previous post where I provided this feedback:

Don't know, this is the first I'm seeing of it.

Great work and everything, it's surprising more people aren't doing randomized missions for DCS :)

Hey, thanks man! I appreciate it and everything! I think the reason is that for randomization to work in DCS you have to go pretty deep into scripting. The editor is nice for making static missions, not so much for randomized.

The JTAC lasing is an issue in MP Coop on moving vehicles. The vehicles move quite fast and the GBU's land several car lengths behind the targets as a result.

Yeah, hitting moving vehicles with GBUs are in general not as easy as the pamphlet says :)

As you have probably noticed, you can see when you are in laser track mode the spot jumps to the target, and doesn't follow in a smooth motion. This is because of how CTLD works (the sript handeling the laser). I probably could change the update frequency, but I don't know what kind of system impact it would have. I think Ciribob settled on a second (or whatever it is now) for a reason. Try manual lasing when hitting moving targets is the best solution for now.

The F10 radio menu gets cluttered with duplicate entries for almost all the sub options when doing MP coop and doing a few new target requests.

Aw, thats not good at all! What version are you running? Is it at any particular time the menus get duplicated, or any specific menus? There was a problem I noticed a couple of versions back that caused problems if stuff happened between giving a Kursha flight the Scramble command and it actually taking off. That has been fixed though.

If you can, please give me as much info as possible as to when this problem occurs, and make sure you are playing on the latest version of the mission. I don't know what may be causing it.

Replayability/play time feedback is: I found that it's like a JTAC and CDU coordinate entry training and after clearing a few targets it becomes repetitive. You don't feel like there is a consequence to not hitting a target, or hitting it, and the ground force support isn't really required it seems.

So it should be random IMHO, but with clear objectives beyond hit X, ones which have win/lose results based on some strategy or just good performance.

Yeah, that is in the nature of the mission I suppose. I figured I'd put in as many tools as possible to get the job done (killing the enemy group) in a combined arms type operation (the concept of working togeather, not the DCS module). You could say the ground units are not required to finish the job, but in another way the air support is not required, and in another way the player is not required. This is because I wanted to give the player the option to orchestrate the assault is a way he/she prefers. When I play it, I rarely engage targets myself, but instead order the air units to strike the heavy targets, and the ground units to mop up. But to each their own.

I kind of leave it up to you to role play the feedback, and will not implement it gameplay wise. But I do agree on it, despite randomized forces, randomized locations, randomized support it can get a little repetitive. I mean, it does follow a recipe. So what I can say is this: I know. I'm looking into it.

But do not expect thematic briefings on why we must take out the terrorist Boris before John and Jack in their Stryker gets pinned down, and no treats for a job well done :)

Also...

Update 1.3.2

-A little debug message was left behind, that has now been removed...

Thanks for the replies.

I am running DCS/1.5.6.1938 (x86_64; Windows/10.0.10586) [beta]

Unfortunately all the solid info I have is that Main/Other/Operations and Main/Other menus get duplicates. (Target Intel, Ground Assets, Air Assets, Abort Task entries)

I can't say for sure when, haven't played since :/

@Overall replay ability: yes all the options left up to the user are great, but it's just not challenging people strategically currently.

@Lasing manually for moving vehs: yep that's good, but there should be a disclaimer of this issue, and also, it gets more complicated when the radio menus get messed so you can't tell the JTAC to stop lasing (you then have to change PRF codes everywhere or the JTAC laser can drift your bomb)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If the A.I. could do more like tactically advance or find cover and if you could control how intensely they attack each other missions like this could work better. It would be great to set up a skirmish on the ground and be able to provide CAS without them blowing each other to bits in 30 seconds.

If the A.I. could do more like tactically advance or find cover and if you could control how intensely they attack each other missions like this could work better. It would be great to set up a skirmish on the ground and be able to provide CAS without them blowing each other to bits in 30 seconds.

Yes, that would be great. I have no idea how that could be accomplished though!

In other news:

Update 1.3.6

-Ground units now report when they have target in line of sight.

-Ground units now report if they move, and in what direction.

-Target intel reports if the target is moving, and in what direction.

-Other small bug fixes.

• 4 months later...

A great Mission!

A few tweaks/ additions and this could become "the" Mission for us.

I´ve only run it in SP so far, but this was working quiet well for the most part. One thing I noticed is that the Supporting planes don´t give an update when they are out of Missiles/ Rockets and when they RTB.

Unlike others I think it has a huge replay value and if one desires to do so one could easy add some strategic objectives to it.

I imagine cluttering the interface will not be an issue with just the Lead/ BC asking for targets and then distributing them to the wingmen.

So, what would I like to see implemented/ changed in the Mission?

- Have a wingman for the supporting flights (even if it´s just for EC)

- Swap them for Hornets and have them fly SEAD

- If SEAD is available then also alter the possible Spawns to include Short Range SAMs

- Once the Supporting Flight is RTB or shot down have them respawn - maybe set a time for this like 15 Mins.

- 2-4 A-10 flights that I can direct like the Su-25s

- The "New Message" Sound playing is rather loud on my end; a simple Radio Click would do as well I guess.

Changed or not it´s a great mission and my hat´s off to anyone able to produce that kind of quality content!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...
For sure. I am working on a new version as we speak.

Is the current version not working at all in 2.5?

Awesome! haven't got to try it out with 2.5 yet. Going to try it out this weekend. I will let you know what I find out. I just automatically assumed it wasn't compatible.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent mission

Best Mission I have seen with random missions generated by the F10 option.

We have been flying this in multyplayer for 2 weeks now and dont see any flaws that need fixing.

It is giving a new mission every time we get together to fly and plenty of distance flying to practice navigation, air refueling and ILS landings etc.

Our biggy is air to ground so well done easyEB

Regards,

BobbyC-101st

• 1 month later...

Oh hey, thanks!

There is an update coming that features ability to request tasking from ground units current position (so you can stay in the same area for longer while the ground units proceed to the next enemy group), along with loads of new little enhancements. The workflow is so different that maybe I’ll release it under a new name.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!

Mission has been heavily updated with loads of new features. To be honest I can't really remember all the changes since the last version, since my documentation is lacking. But what I wanted to do was to put a bit more focus and challange to resource management, and ad a higher sence of the fog of war.Some of the highlights in this massive update are:

-Ability to request new tasks with current ground units. This way you can stay with one and the same set of ground units for a prolonged time.

-Limited intel based on ground/air units observations of the target.

-Enemy ground units different behavior. They may now flee, stop or not stop after taking fire, advance to a random location or towards the friendly ground units and many other little tweaks.

-More variety in ground units compositions - on both sides!

-More status and intel reports from allied units.

-Completely reworked unit spawning. Expect less ground unit fights in deep forrests.

---------------------------

UPDATED MISSION BRIEFING:

Welcome to Operation Titan Angel.

Your mission is to provide Close Air Support to Georgian ground forces Alpha and Bravo.

To your help you have two Georgian Air Force SU-25s and one US Air Force MQ-9 Reaper available to provide fire and intel support.

Use the F10 menu to request tasking and command air and ground assets.

TASKING

At mission start Alpha and Bravo will be standing by somewhere in the Georgian region of the map (use F10 menu to request their current position). When you are in range to provide air support - request tasking at their current postion and they will (given the command) move to and designate/engage enemy ground units in the area. Once a target is taken out, you can request a new task with the current ground unit, or request position of a different set of ground units at another position.

ALPHA AND BRAVO

Ground units Alpha and Bravo consists of Georgian Army T-72, BMP-2, BTR-80 and Cobra MRAPs. Embedded with the ground units is a US Air Force JTAC ready to designate targets. At mission start they will be standing by at different locations around Georgia. Use the F10 menu to request their position, command them to advance, hold, designate targets mark their own position with smoke and hold/open fire. When they are given the order to advance they will move towards the targets last known position. They can advance either on or off road. When commanding the ground units to designate targets they will use their default laser codes, unless specifically ordered otherwise (they can both use three different laser codes). Just remember to turn their current designation off first before changing laser codes. They can report their own current position either via MGRS coordinates or by marking their position with colored smoke. When the ground units are given the order to hold fire they will do so until they start taking fire, at which point they will defend themselves.

AIR UNITS

There are three air units on standby. A US Air Force MQ-9 Reaper that will move towards the enemys position and orbit the target and designate units by threat prioritization. The Reaper is very autonomous and will not often need orders, unless you want it to engage targets. It can either engage any target at will with a specific weapon, or it can be ordered to attack a specific target with a specific weapon. The Reaper can also report its current fuel and weapon status.

The two Georgian SU-25s standing by can be ordered to take off individually with either extra fuel or extra missiles. They always carry a full load of cannon rounds and four rocket pods, but you can choose wether they take off with two extra fuel tanks (increasing their range) two or four missiles (increasing their firepower). Once airborne they can move to specified IPs around the map, or move to the targets current position. If the latter is selected they will move at mil power (arriving sooner, but burning more fuel - thus decreasing their range). Just like the Reaper they can either engage a target of their own choosing or a specific target with a specific weapon. They can also report their current position, fuel and weapon status.

Note that all air units will report when they have used up half their fuel, and they will automatically RTB when they are running low on fuel.

INTEL

When either of the ground units or the Reaper has eyes on target you will be able to get intel on the targets current position, heading (if moving) and composition. If none of the ground units or the Reaper has eyes on the target no intel will be available.

TANKERS

Arco - Arco track / 295.4 MHz AM / TACAN 31Y

Shell - Shell track / 293.1 MHz AM / TACAN 52Y

Texaco - Texaco track / 291.9 MHz AM / TACAN 33Y

LASER CODES

Reaper - 1515

Alpha - 1462, 1515, 1688

Bravo - 1341, 1515, 1688

BUGS

There are bound to be bugs in this mission. Alot fewer than before, but still it's not bug free. Some of them may be:

-If enemy units are on hard to access terrain (such as deep valleys), friendly air units will not be able to perform weapon attacks. This has to do with the AI aircraft needs for a specific "approach" towards weapon release. I have not yet found way for the AI to report when a target is in such a postision.

-Friendly AI units responsiveness or behaviour if multiple orders are given at the same time. A good tip to work around this is to wait until the automatic reports/confirmations has come in until issuing new commands.

If you run into any bugs, please report them to me as specific as you can with what happened in what situation. I'm no master at this, but I want to make this as best as I possibly can.

DOWNLOAD HERE: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2504663/

Just a quick question:

-If i replace the A-10C with an AV-8B is the mission playable or not?

It should work fine. Can the AV8 create new waypoints from mgrs coords?

Please report your results :)

I did but until the AV-8B is able to import coordinates (or the F-18 ) it is an A-10C mission only UNLESS you can add the smoke marker option for friendly units to mark their position (green smoke) and red for enemies...i havent tried at night though when the laser is visible with the googles...

Lock-On Greece / DCS World Greece http://lockon-greece.forumotion.net/

🇬🇷 1st Hellinic Virtual Squadron for Flaming Cliffs & DCS World
~ Flying since 2008 ~

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

Lots of small changes, biggest things are:

-Ground units now consist of Alpha (US HMMWV group capable of target designation), Bravo and Charlie are Georgian armored units.

-Ground units can now be given commands to relocate to each others position, or in a specific direction for a specified distance (1, 5 and 10 miles). Useful for having the ground units surround the enemy group, or retreat.

-Ground units can now be given the command to automatically hold position 2.5 miles from target.

-New tasks are automatically generated after checking in with the ground units until their area is clear, at which point you can check in with another group (at another location).

This is turning into an RTS ;)

Edited by EasyEB

Still my favorite! Thanks for all your hard work EasyEB!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm really glad to hear you are enjoying it. I make this mission for myself to play and sometimes I forget that other people are also enjoying it. How do you play? Do you use all assets (air and ground) all the time or do you do most of the warhead work yourself?

---

I have an update out just now. There's a lot of boring under the hood bug fixes that I won't go into, but should make it a lot more stable. But some of the gameplay changes are:

-The Georgian SU-25s will report their range to target repeatedly while rolling in, this will make it a lot easier to coordinate with them when you want to strike a target simultaneously. If you find this feature annoying, you can disable it in their ROE submenu.

-The Georgian SU-25s can now be ordered to anchor at your current position. This way you get a little more control over where they roll in from.

-If neither Alpha, Bravo, Charlie nor the Reaper has eyes on the enemy you can no longer order the SU-25s to attack specific targets. This is to better go inline with the availability of intel of the enemy units. They can still be ordered to "attack any target" though. I'm no monster.

-Laser code switching (for when Alpha or the Reaper designates targets) does not require you to turn off their laser and then turn it on again. Simply choose the code you want them to use, and they will start using it immediately.

-Not new features really, but changed workflow: Alpha, Bravo and Charlie will now automatically hold when they are within 2.5 nm of the target, and once again when they are danger close. This is so they won't just drive into their death if you forget to stop them while you wait for all the other things to fall into place. When they have stopped you can just order them to move and they will do so. This behavior can also be disabled in their ROE submenu.

-The Player Settings menu will no longer show up when switching slots/joining late.

Download here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2504663/