Nostalgia for the Old Flanker Heads...

I still have my Flanker 1&2 cd's for old times sake, I'd love to find an app so I can install them on my Windows 7 64 bit system. That Papa Doc image brings back memories of the 'heated' debates that used to rage on the comp.sys.ibm.pc-games.flight-sim newsgroup over which sim was better between Falcon and Flanker fans :)

Flanker 1 and 2 CD's are still on my shelf next to Black Shark and Flaming cliffs DVD's. And they will remain there for quiet some time. Legends never die...

GCS000025.jpg

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

I was one of those guys who refused to install W95 and was therefor stuck with the Flanker 1.0 DOS_demo for months... until I couldn't wait any longer and had to join the Dark Side...

Flame wars on comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flightsim. EF2000 vs Flanker... no contest, really :). Endless discussion on shaded polygons vs textured graphics.

Good times at the Big Bear meet in Apeldoorn, Holland... Sheesh...almost 20 years ago...

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

Flame wars on comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flightsim. EF2000 vs Flanker... no contest, really :). Endless discussion on shaded polygons vs textured graphics.

Yeah we didn't need them fancy schmancy textured polygons, they will never catch on :lol:

Maybe one day we could get a 'legacy mode' for DCS World, just coloured polygons, no textures just for old times sake :D

Maybe one day we could get a 'legacy mode' for DCS World, just coloured polygons, no textures just for old times sake :D

You mean this? :lol:

dcs%25202012-07-18%252020-43-13-91.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

I was one of those guys who refused to install W95 and was therefor stuck with the Flanker 1.0 DOS_demo for months... until I couldn't wait any longer and had to join the Dark Side...

Good times at the Big Bear meet in Apeldoorn, Holland... Sheesh...almost 20 years ago...

Captain Chaos!

Hi Bas! What a fantastic time we had in Apeldoorn! I hope all is well!

Another blast from the past: Big Bear 1998... http://www.combatsim.com/review.php?id=432

Edited by Shepski

Missed flanker 1 and 2 somehow, I was playing Falcon 3 at the time even though it looked much more dated than Flanker.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

My box looks slightly different from the images posted above, but I guess the content is the same.

It's a thing of beauty :D

Sure is! Probably the difference is North American and European retail versions.

Missed flanker 1 and 2 somehow, I was playing Falcon 3 at the time even though it looked much more dated than Flanker.

I never flew F3... my first PC was a win 95 box and the first software I put on it was Su-27.

The interlacing flicker in that video gave me a headache..

lol, Boot Disk coding took longer than game installs.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I never flew F3... my first PC was a win 95 box and the first software I put on it was Su-27.

I was on DOS 6 till 1997. :D

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

My box looks slightly different from the images posted above, but I guess the content is the same.

editedsu27.jpg

It's a thing of beauty :D

Yes that's the box I had, must have been the European release box cover-art.

Flanker 1.0 was a thrilling experience. I still remember the first mission, where you flew along the costline for 10 minutes at 10 m height, then the jump over the hill, where the hell broke loose. You had only seconds to escape back over this hill - within that time you had to strike three radar stations ... good old times :)

If you guys want nostalgia from the last 10 years...watch this:

5m647SXqlog

I remember seeing this in my grade 12 high school and I lost my mind...was blown away by the graphics. What a huge difference it is compared to FC3...but at the same time...look at how similar the terrain is.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

What times when we were flying Flanker 1.0 and watching the famous Anatoly Kvochur videos that came with the CD:

In the times of Flanker 2.0 we were dreaming to have this graphics, now we are well above it:

And I would like to have this music back as intro theme :D (Ok, Ok I'm exaggerating):

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sigpic97175_2_small.pngAERGES-LOGO-sin_fondo_small.png