Track IR support for better positioning

Dear forum,

Track IR is usually and normally conveniently positioned over the screen of our computer/laptop. I have personally felt the need to sit closer to the monitor to better read the small numbers/characters thus rendering the distance between the sensor and the reflectors on my hat too close. A part from that I was always seated too high compared to the Track IR sensor which tended to loose sight of the sensors in a head tilted up situation and working with the curvature of the axis did not completely solve the situation. I therefore felt the need to create a support light and that I could take apart for easy packing to be able to position the Track IR sensor wherever i needed it in terms of distance and hight.

Here are some pictures

IMG_2170.JPG.467ad2b018a4df6cd205fe014c27876c.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG.77116e793bdde076ee136953ce375d4c.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG.018077910a22a0d4a102293e4b7c92ec.JPG

I hope you will find this useful.

Cheers

Stefano

Same problem. I've got lousy eyesight and have to sit too close to my monitor to position the Track IR sensor on top of it.

Picked up this small tripod from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D2BCR2K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This cell phone tripod adapter works well with it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RFZTUWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Very steady. Once positioned properly haven't had to move it.

I have my Trackir, on top of the tv ( 55 inch) and when I move closer to the display, i have issues with it

I have to find a solution, maybe this tripod...

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I've used a narrow plastic cable conduit, with the TrackIR mounted on top, that is in front of but basically in line with the edge of my 58" screen. Seems to be the best solution I've tried yet but definitely isn't perfect. Just a trade-off of using a big screen, I guess.6aecf18f1ee885c7522e5bbd185547ae.jpg

GregP, do you have the Trackir, on the left side of the TV??

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Does it work properly, this way?!

I've used a narrow plastic cable conduit, with the TrackIR mounted on top, that is in front of but basically in line with the edge of my 58" screen. Seems to be the best solution I've tried yet but definitely isn't perfect. Just a trade-off of using a big screen, I guess.6aecf18f1ee885c7522e5bbd185547ae.jpg

If you have a hat clip, perhaps you could make a contraption where the clip is about half a foot above your head. If that works, you could keep the cam on your TV’s top edge.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

From trial and error what I have found is that I get the best results when the TIR is about level with my head, thus why I have mounted it on a separate pole that is roughly halfway down my screen. When I tried to place it on top of my TV, the relatively short distance between my head and the screen caused problems.

If I tried to elevate the clip above my head, wouldn't its offset from the center of rotation cause problems? I've never tried it, but I thought that one of the reasons it is able to track is because it's assuming that the LEDs are moving fairly close to the center of rotation in all axes.

Edited by GregP

• 11 months later...

I have a similar problem. My monitor is 32" and the sensor is too high when placed on the top of the monitor center. My hat clip keeps going out of track. I've tried tilting the sensor down but it's not working.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, AJS-37 Viggen , AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL , F-5E Tiger , L-39 Albatros.

I have a similar problem. My monitor is 32" and the sensor is too high when placed on the top of the monitor center. My hat clip keeps going out of track. I've tried tilting the sensor down but it's not working.

I'm having exactly the same problem... it loses tracking when I look down due to the mismatched geometry between the clip pro and the TIR sensor. I'm mainly using VR but sometimes I just want the simplicity (and increased eye candy) of TIR. I'm following this with interest for a solution!

As an aside anyone managed to mount a Track Clip pro to their head without having to use a headset? Clipping it to the hat would be idea but the design of the clip makes it impossible.

Oculus Rift S, RTX2060 Ryzen 5 2600 16GB, SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Voiceattack Plugin