RWR Sounds & HUD

SCU

First off, let me say you've done such a phenomenal job in the F-18 so far ED & Belsimtek, you really did outdo yourself, good job guys :thumbup:.

Now to my question: Does ED plan to model the correct tones for the RWR or are they going to use the stock RWR sounds in DCS? There has been a thread that discussed this, and there were some interesting stuff mentioned there.

Also do they plan to model the RWR indications in the HUD too?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned or answered, I couldn't find anything about this anywhere.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

As explained in Crash Laobis interview with Matt they have the sounds directly from boeing

Seen it. I assumed he meant the standard sounds like the altitude & master cautions and betty sounds.

I always thought the RWR tones are more secretive/hard to get, like the A-10 (which has the same RWR as the F-16).

Anyhow, I hope someone from ED can confirm if they will implement the real sounds and hud symbology or not :smilewink:.

RWR example (wip).

Few kind of threats (A/A, G/A, W/A):

zzo8ZwKh.jpg

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

RWR is WIP.

That being said I've already talked to someone about the display being backwards. (they have the "non-lethal" area close to the center and the "critical" threat area on the outer ring.. IRL it goes from outside in Non-lethal->Lethal->Critical and the very center is the "status" area)

ie the non-threat E3 radar should be on the outer-most edge of both the EW page and the ADU, not close to the center.

lc4KzQh.png?1

Fighter radar starts in "lethal" zone, then moves into critical ring as it gets close or if it locks on/fires a missile.

Anytime an emitter populates or moves from one ring to another, you get a "status tone", or if fighter radar its an AI status tone as I mentioned here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3347570&postcount=9

Edited by Beamscanner

RWR is WIP.

That being said I've already talked to someone about the display being backwards. (they have the "non-lethal" area close to the center and the "critical" threat area on the outer ring.. IRL it goes from outside in Non-lethal->Lethal->Critical and the very center is the "status" area)

ie the non-threat E3 radar should be on the outer-most edge of both the EW page and the ADU, not close to the center.

It seems that this was already fixed as seen in some of the latest videos.. And I just found out that audio tones for RWR was implemented just yesterday, at least partially. All that remains now, I think, is for RWR contacts to show on the HUD.

It seems that this was already fixed as seen in some of the latest videos.. And I just found out that audio tones for RWR was implemented just yesterday, at least partially. All that remains now, I think, is for RWR contacts to show on the HUD.

I just saw a stream with RWR audio.. But it used a "status change tone" instead of an "AI status change tone" for a mig-21. So it played the wrong audio.

It also had the EW page display range instead of threat rings. And they're missing the threat symbology.

Also, RWR data goes to alot more places. (HUD, warning lights, Radar, plus other places that wont be available at launch)

Its all WIP, but I'd still like to help them correct it while they're working on it so they dont have to come back to it later.

I just saw a stream with RWR audio.. But it used a "status change tone" instead of an "AI status change tone" for a mig-21. So it played the wrong audio.

It also had the EW page display range instead of threat rings. And they're missing the threat symbology.

Also, RWR data goes to alot more places. (HUD, warning lights, Radar, plus other places that wont be available at launch)

Its all WIP, but I'd still like to help them correct it while they're working on it so they dont have to come back to it later.

Can you please give a link to the stream with RWR sounds? :)

I'm just glad that ED went out of their way to implement the original sounds, instead of going the easy way of putting stock sounds, even if it's not quite right yet I have confidence that they will eventually make it right, as you said it's still work in progress :smilewink:.

• ED Team
RWR is WIP.

That being said I've already talked to someone about the display being backwards.

Fighter radar starts in "lethal" zone, then moves into critical ring as it gets close or if it locks on/fires a missile.

Anytime an emitter populates or moves from one ring to another, you get a "status tone", or if fighter radar its an AI status tone as I mentioned here:

The first to say, you are correct, RWR is WIP for now.

I want to clarify a few things, about what ALR-67 model do you speak? I have a feeling that in different ALR-67 modifications there were changes in display logic, at least. Also, could you tell more about AI status tone, what does AI mean?

Edited by cofcorpse

ALR-67(v2) on the USN F/A-18C

--AUDIO LOGIC--

-Status change tone-

--single 455hz tone that lasts .335 seconds long

---used to indicate the following

----New Emitter (if not a fighter jet radar)

----Any emitter is moved from non-lethal ring to lethal ring (if not a fighter radar)

----Any emitter is moved from lethal ring to critical ring (if not a fighter radar)

----RWR BIT failure

EXAMPLE:

(starting at exactly 35:10)

-AI status change tone

--single burst of a 4 tone warble, in the following order. 550hz, 520hz, 490hz, 470hz. each tone lasting .083 seconds. The total time of the warble is .335 seconds.

---used in place of a status tone change when a fighter radar is added to the display or switches to a different threat ring.

EXAMPLE:

(starts at exactly 34:44)

EXAMPLE 2:

(starts at exactly 32:28 )

EXAMPLE 3:

(at 11 seconds in)

-STT tone-

--A constant tone that switches between 455hz and 555hz. each tone lasting about .25 seconds in duration.

---Used when a threat emitter is locked on to you.

EXAMPLE:

-Missile Guidance/luanch tone-

--A constant tone that switches between 455hz lasting .066 seconds long, and a 555hz tone lasting .1 seconds in duration.

I believe this may be an EXAMPLE:

(get a status tone change at 35:32 followed by what could be a simulated launch immediately afterward) This one sounds different from the STT tone example. And this example shows the F/A-18Cs defending..
Edited by Beamscanner

• 2 months later...

Is there a dcs Hornet specific tutorial on RWR sounds identificatiion out there?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset