DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone

Ciribob

I just saw this promising addition to the game play of DCS and would like to try this out but I'm not sure about the install process. I have two computers at home that are on my local network. I read in the post that

" DO NOT run the installer or install the Script on your Standalone server if its on the same network (but a separate PC) to your DCS PC."

Can someone please walk me through how the install procedure would go in my situation. I already downloaded the file DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone-NewAudio-Release but have not unzipped it. Again for now I wanted to test this between my two local computers.

Thanks.

unfortunately, I can not install .NET 4.6.2

I get the following error:

Blocking Issues:

The setup cannot run in compatibility mode.

The .NET Framework 4.6.2 is not supported on this operating system.

I have confirmed I am running Win 7 SP1 and the entries in the Registry that are affecting comparability mode are not there. Have asked Microsoft for help but holding out little hope of getting a useful answer.

How essential is this update from 4.6.1 to make it work and will it be easy to revert to 1.2.8.1 from 1.2.9.1 if it does not?

Worked fine here. Windows 7 64 bit Service Pack 1.

Try to right click the .NET installation file and select "Run as Administrator". :thumbup:

Some brief examples of audio distorsion because radio chat at the same time in two different radios.

Minute 0:45 2:26 3:45

Sorry they are very short examples.

Fz6MQ27O6xs

The strangest thing is one squad member doing ATC control on the Spectators side with the Awacs Panel on was able to comunicate without distorsion at the same time but the rest of us on a plane were suffering from the noise when two radios are used at the same time.

Thanks again for your outstanding work.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I just saw this promising addition to the game play of DCS and would like to try this out but I'm not sure about the install process. I have two computers at home that are on my local network. I read in the post that

" DO NOT run the installer or install the Script on your Standalone server if its on the same network (but a separate PC) to your DCS PC."

Can someone please walk me through how the install procedure would go in my situation. I already downloaded the file DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone-NewAudio-Release but have not unzipped it. Again for now I wanted to test this between my two local computers.

Thanks.

Depends on what you want to setup, if you have 2 computers that you use to play DCS you'd run the installer on both. If you have a setup of 1 computer to play on and 1 computer as a server and you want to host a SR Server too you run the installer on the game PC and follow the server install instructions on the server PC (and not use the installer).

-

If man were meant to fly he'd be filled with helium.

Hi, i used to use the OLD API as the new one didn't work for me. After updating i see the same exception when i click preview audio:

11:38:07 Ciribob.DCS.SimpleRadio.Standalone.Client.Audio.AudioPreview Error starting audio Output - Quitting! Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {F447B69E-1884-4A7E-8055-346F74D6EDB3} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

Logs attached. Let me know if you want me to try anything out.

I've confirmed i'm on latest .net version by running the dowload link.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro N (64bit)

clientlog.zip

Edited by Hallux

unfortunately, I can not install .NET 4.6.2

I get the following error:

Blocking Issues:

The setup cannot run in compatibility mode.

The .NET Framework 4.6.2 is not supported on this operating system.

I have confirmed I am running Win 7 SP1 and the entries in the Registry that are affecting comparability mode are not there. Have asked Microsoft for help but holding out little hope of getting a useful answer.

How essential is this update from 4.6.1 to make it work and will it be easy to revert to 1.2.8.1 from 1.2.9.1 if it does not?

It will run on 4.6.1 but I'm pretty sure there's a few bugs in that version of .NET so 4.6.2 would be ideal. Weird that you can't install, someone else had the same issue but they had to reinstall windows to fix... :/

Thanks.

I've edited that statement now in the first post as its no longer true. Originally data was sent from DCS to SRS using Multicast so if two PCs on the same network ran DCS and had the SRS scripts installed they'd interfere. This is no longer the case!

If you want to test, just run the installer on the 2 PCs you have DCS on and run the server on one. No need to do anything else :)

Some brief examples of audio distorsion because radio chat at the same time in two different radios.

Minute 0:45 2:26 3:45

Sorry they are very short examples.

The strangest thing is one squad member doing ATC control on the Spectators side with the Awacs Panel on was able to comunicate without distorsion at the same time but the rest of us on a plane were suffering from the noise when two radios are used at the same time.

Thanks again for your outstanding work.

Thats very interesting that it didn't happen to the guy in Spectators, just the kind of information I'm looking for, thanks!

As I've said before, I've been through the audio pipeline quite a few times and in theory, this is impossible and I've can't replicate my side... which is why recordings are helpful so thanks!

I'm still slightly concerned that its just to threads being paused because DCS is using a lot of CPU resources and the fact it worked for spectators fine adds weight to this.

Would you be able to do a test where all of you are in spectators and try talking to each other?

Hi, i used to use the OLD API as the new one didn't work for me. After updating i see the same exception when i click preview audio:

11:38:07 Ciribob.DCS.SimpleRadio.Standalone.Client.Audio.AudioPreview Error starting audio Output - Quitting! Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {F447B69E-1884-4A7E-8055-346F74D6EDB3} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

Logs attached. Let me know if you want me to try anything out.

I've confirmed i'm on latest .net version by running the dowload link.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro N (64bit)

Very odd. The switch to 64-bit fixed this error for another person so not sure why it's happening for you. As I said before, this comes from library code so i'm a little stumped on how to solve.

For the next release I'll work at getting a switch where you can go back to the old API from the new so you can be on the latest version. You'll be able to use 1.2.8.1 absolutely fine with clients on newer versions as there is now a protocol check and the protocols are currently the same.

Sorry for the trouble!

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

@Ciribob ...just wanted to give my thx to you for your continously hard work and a really great addition to the dcs experience. My brother and me updated to the lastest version yesterday and played on the VSaaf server. Their srs ip is the same as their dcs server ip...putting that into srs was a piece of cake and boom, we were connected and everything was working fine.

Actually, now i think its really great to have srs running as a standlone/seperate program from ts. Whatever might happen on the dcs server you are playing on...having ts running in the background with a different ptt configured as a back up keeps you in contact with your buddies if need be.

I'd like to give a bit of feed back concerning some addtional features that would make the convience side of srs on par with advanced features of ts or the like:

1.) saving favourites with name and ip address

2.) in ts, you can adjust loudness per individual connected client. Some people are really loud and others are barely audbile. This function allows you to boost or dampen individual players. This would require a list of all connected players within srs of course.

I am no programmer or coder so i don't know whether my next question is an issue at all. Are there any security concerns around srs in the sense that someone might get access to my computer when i connect to a server or someone connects to my srs server running from my main pc? Use srs as a backdoor so to speak? Did you take any steps to ensure this can't happen?

Please don't take offence about the last question. I install most programs without thinking about that sort of thing very much. I just thought its always good to address this issue in this day and age.

Very odd. The switch to 64-bit fixed this error for another person so not sure why it's happening for you. As I said before, this comes from library code so i'm a little stumped on how to solve.

For the next release I'll work at getting a switch where you can go back to the old API from the new so you can be on the latest version. You'll be able to use 1.2.8.1 absolutely fine with clients on newer versions as there is now a protocol check and the protocols are currently the same.

Sorry for the trouble!

Hi Ciribob,

I just ran dumpbin on the opus.dll (which i think is the API you are talking about). It comes up with below which suggests it's still a 32bit dependancy...

FILE HEADER VALUES
            14C machine (x86)
              5 number of sections
       5286EF89 time date stamp Sat Nov 16 04:07:37 2013
              0 file pointer to symbol table
              0 number of symbols
             E0 size of optional header
           2102 characteristics
                  Executable
                  32 bit word machine
                  DLL

Are you sure you put the correct version into the build?

Let me know if there is anything i can test.

Hallux

Hi Ciribob,

I just ran dumpbin on the opus.dll (which i think is the API you are talking about). It comes up with below which suggests it's still a 32bit dependancy...

FILE HEADER VALUES
            14C machine (x86)
              5 number of sections
       5286EF89 time date stamp Sat Nov 16 04:07:37 2013
              0 file pointer to symbol table
              0 number of symbols
             E0 size of optional header
           2102 characteristics
                  Executable
                  32 bit word machine
                  DLL

Are you sure you put the correct version into the build?

Let me know if there is anything i can test.

Hallux

Not quite sure why dumpbin is giving that result but I used Dependenacy Walker, results attached below.

Old Opus.dll comes as x86 and new as x64 so definitely the right DLL.

The .exe's will report as x86 in all likelyhood as its .NET but the manifest and compiler flags mean they'll only run as x64, otherwise the DLL won't load.

The error you get though isn't due to opus, its due to the NAudio library and something to do with the new WASAPI (windows audio session API) that was added in Vista and above to replace the WAVE interface.

My hope in your case was that by forcing the exe to be 64-bit, whatever wierd DLL conflict would go away as there can be no ambiguity over what its running as. By default .net is x86 but if compiled for AnyCPU it can pick the most appropriate which isn't very helpful in this case!

@Ciribob ...just wanted to give my thx to you for your continously hard work and a really great addition to the dcs experience. My brother and me updated to the lastest version yesterday and played on the VSaaf server. Their srs ip is the same as their dcs server ip...putting that into srs was a piece of cake and boom, we were connected and everything was working fine.

Actually, now i think its really great to have srs running as a standlone/seperate program from ts. Whatever might happen on the dcs server you are playing on...having ts running in the background with a different ptt configured as a back up keeps you in contact with your buddies if need be.

I'd like to give a bit of feed back concerning some addtional features that would make the convience side of srs on par with advanced features of ts or the like:

1.) saving favourites with name and ip address

2.) in ts, you can adjust loudness per individual connected client. Some people are really loud and others are barely audbile. This function allows you to boost or dampen individual players. This would require a list of all connected players within srs of course.

I am no programmer or coder so i don't know whether my next question is an issue at all. Are there any security concerns around srs in the sense that someone might get access to my computer when i connect to a server or someone connects to my srs server running from my main pc? Use srs as a backdoor so to speak? Did you take any steps to ensure this can't happen?

Please don't take offence about the last question. I install most programs without thinking about that sort of thing very much. I just thought its always good to address this issue in this day and age.

Glad it worked well for you. :)

1 has been repeated asked for, I've just not got round to doing it. Its slightly less urgent now due to the Auto Connect script which some server hosts are using but I will do it eventually :)

2 - Its not something I really want to implement as it can be solved (albeit slowly) by just asking some people to reduce their mic volume if they're too loud. As there is no unique persistent ID per person, any changes you made to an individuals volume would be immediately lost if you disconnected or they did and then reconnected as all the IDs would be regenerated.

If others want to help out and work on either point I'd be very happy with the help :)

Security - Thats a tricky one to answer. By opening ports when hosting a server, you are increased the attack surface for a malicious agent. However, its no more or less secure than hosting a TS server. One of the standard methods for remote code execution is a buffer overflow (I ask for 10 bytes, but get sent 3000) but in this case the software is written in C#, a managed language, so this is much less of an issue then something written in pure C or C++. If a program does something naughty, the .Net VM / Windows will shut it down. I won't say something taking over your PC through SRS is impossible (neither would I for any program or PC connected to the internet) but it is highly improbable and I wouldn't worry about it.

TLDR; No real security risk, just don't open all your ports to the world (like using DMZ), just port forward the ones you need for a server.

ops-x64.thumb.PNG.b76ab1af8926b59bc3a981da4986a408.PNG

opus-x86.thumb.PNG.ff27042641c5d096704d4a60354ef925.PNG

Edited by Ciribob

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

On point 2:

I don't think you would want to (or should) recreate TS. SR provides anonymity just like a real radio. If someone is too loud or hardly audible you'd tell the person, just like IRL. If the overmodulation protection is added at least people won't be over-over-loud.

@Ciribob, perhaps you could use a similar method for the overmodulation protection to turn the volume up in case the volume is too low. Should be slow but if someone talks for x seconds and his max values don't even reach 50% of max you could increase the mic boost.

-

On point 2:

I don't think you would want to (or should) recreate TS. SR provides anonymity just like a real radio. If someone is too loud or hardly audible you'd tell the person, just like IRL. If the overmodulation protection is added at least people won't be over-over-loud.

@Ciribob, perhaps you could use a similar method for the overmodulation protection to turn the volume up in cause the volume is too low. Should be slow but if someone talks for x seconds and his max values don't even reach 50% of max you could increase the mic boost.

Ah then the issue becomes detecting if they're speaking or just silent or background noise which isn't the easiest either, especially if their mic has built in AGC.

To do this properly I need to do a lot more research and remember how to do proper maths so if I do it won't be for months at least due to time pressures. Audio programming is a huge and difficult subject in its own right and I've only really scratched the surface which I guess is why there's really only Mumble and TeamSpeak. Discord is interesting as AFAIK it uses the the new Audio stack (WebRTC) built into HTML5.

Sorry guys, it'll be manual for a while... :)

Edit: I am actually going to investigate WebRTC again as then you could do drones with video.... Hype train inbound.

Edited by Ciribob

Might as well add remote control while you're at it ;)

People with AGC probably shouldn't use the Auto Boost Control, but take your time it's already a great project!

E: Btw, if you think any problem is CPU utilization related, DCS always uses the 2 highest cores (on AMD at least). Maybe you can set the affinity of SR not to use those cores when available.

Edited by Coug4r

-

Not quite sure why dumpbin is giving that result but I used Dependenacy Walker, results attached below.

Old Opus.dll comes as x86 and new as x64 so definitely the right DLL.

The .exe's will report as x86 in all likelyhood as its .NET but the manifest and compiler flags mean they'll only run as x64, otherwise the DLL won't load.

The error you get though isn't due to opus, its due to the NAudio library and something to do with the new WASAPI (windows audio session API) that was added in Vista and above to replace the WAVE interface.

My hope in your case was that by forcing the exe to be 64-bit, whatever wierd DLL conflict would go away as there can be no ambiguity over what its running as. By default .net is x86 but if compiled for AnyCPU it can pick the most appropriate which isn't very helpful in this case!

Right, i've figured it out and i don't think it's to do with bit-ness (maybe your other friend had problems with bitness). As stated previously i have windows 10 pro N installed. I did some research and it turns out the N version installs without any media packages. And after digging around in your code i saw it was Naudio that was causing problems (as you've also stated). Looks like it's trying to import a dependency in that WASAPI you're talking about that didn't exist on my PC.

I installed a media pack: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=53356

Which has now fixed the issue. I think you might want to put a link to that in a FAQ for any other people who come accross this. I don't know if it's also worth reporting to the NAudio guys? Would be good to add some startup check to check it's installed...

Thanks again for your help and the tool is great. On a side note, i saw you're looking for help and was thinking i could lend a hand. I'll PM you.

Hallux,

Right, i've figured it out and i don't think it's to do with bit-ness (maybe your other friend had problems with bitness). As stated previously i have windows 10 pro N installed. I did some research and it turns out the N version installs without any media packages. And after digging around in your code i saw it was Naudio that was causing problems (as you've also stated). Looks like it's trying to import a dependency in that WASAPI you're talking about that didn't exist on my PC.

I installed a media pack: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=53356

Which has now fixed the issue. I think you might want to put a link to that in a FAQ for any other people who come accross this. I don't know if it's also worth reporting to the NAudio guys? Would be good to add some startup check to check it's installed...

Thanks again for your help and the tool is great. On a side note, i saw you're looking for help and was thinking i could lend a hand. I'll PM you.

Hallux,

Thats great Hallux, thanks for investigating and for the fix!

I'll add to the first post and the latest release post. I need to update the Wiki at some point as well so there's a central place for this.

I'll reply to PM now as well.

19:45:42 Ciribob.DCS.SimpleRadio.Standalone.Common.UpdaterChecker+<CheckForUpdate>d__2 Running Latest Version: 1.2.9.1

19:45:47 Ciribob.DCS.SimpleRadio.Standalone.Client.AudioManager Error starting audio Output - Quitting! Unable to load DLL 'opus.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

Installed the net.frame and the other download but still no joy :cry:

Solved :) I deleted SR root directory from the drive and did a fresh install :D

Edited by Coxy_99

I would be very grateful if someone could identify my problem with SRS. I am getting very inconsistent log in to the SRS Client. While I am shown on the Server list correctly by name, the SRS Client list will, more often than not, give no name, no colour on my coalition indicator, and the usual two 'Kick' and 'Ban' tabs.

I can log on consistently using my old (Win 7) PC, but only irregularly on my new Win10 one. However, examination of the Log files, shows no significant differences. After start they identify my devices, check for an up-to-date SRS version, and then happily ping away every 25 seconds until I exit, when they close down in an identical fashion.

I use Helios and a number of widely used mods, the latter installed using JGSME. I have tried removing and re-installing these mods, with no consistent results.

I would welcome any suggestions as to the probable problem.

Hello,

I have a really quick question about this mod: it is completely usable with only in-game cockpit radios, or do you need the overlay to set frequencies etc.? The overlay kills the immersion a bit for me.

In any case, not trying to take anything away from the huge effort, thank you for your software!

I would be very grateful if someone could identify my problem with SRS. I am getting very inconsistent log in to the SRS Client. While I am shown on the Server list correctly by name, the SRS Client list will, more often than not, give no name, no colour on my coalition indicator, and the usual two 'Kick' and 'Ban' tabs.

I can log on consistently using my old (Win 7) PC, but only irregularly on my new Win10 one. However, examination of the Log files, shows no significant differences. After start they identify my devices, check for an up-to-date SRS version, and then happily ping away every 25 seconds until I exit, when they close down in an identical fashion.

I use Helios and a number of widely used mods, the latter installed using JGSME. I have tried removing and re-installing these mods, with no consistent results.

I would welcome any suggestions as to the probable problem.

Try to move the DCS Simple Radio Standalone line in export.lua down to the last line.

Hey, guys! Could somebody advise me, how can I provide broadcasting through the SRS (for example ATIS)? Thanks in advance!

Hmm.. I wonder.. Could you do this with virtual audio cable? Have a client with the mic input being VAC which is playing an ATIS .wav or something on a loop...

Can you have multiple SRS client programs open on the same computer? If not, on a separate computer still seems like it could work with VAC...

No sure about the PTT part how to get round that...

Just spitballing....

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord