RMI Priority

Croaker47

The manual mentions using the RMI on approaches using solely the RKL-41 ADF.

I know I can use the RSBN for approaches, and that repeats on the RMI, and the RKL-41 is doing its thing when I'm in the pattern, but I was wondering what the priority is for the RMI.

When RSBN and ADF are both on and tuned to the correct frequencies for an airfield that has both, does the RMI pointer point to the RSBN station, or one of the NDBs? Does the RMI pointer point to an NDB in the absence of an RSBN input?

The manual mentions using the RMI on approaches using solely the RKL-41 ADF.

I know I can use the RSBN for approaches, and that repeats on the RMI, and the RKL-41 is doing its thing when I'm in the pattern, but I was wondering what the priority is for the RMI.

The thin RMI needle points to the RSBN station. In a NDB approach, the runway's heading is set on the course needle.

The RKL-41 points to the Inner or Outer Marker (depending on which is selected).

When RSBN and ADF are both on and tuned to the correct frequencies for an airfield that has both, does the RMI pointer point to the RSBN station, or one of the NDBs?

The RMI pointer, points to the RSBN station.

Does the RMI pointer point to an NDB in the absence of an RSBN input?

No.

L-39 NDB Approach (from memory)

• set the runway heading on the RMI

• Tune Inner and Outer Markers, and select Outer

• line up RMI course and RKL-41 needles for the runway heading @500m AGL / 330 km/h

(after perhaps flying a timed leg away from one of the markers)

• on approach (280 km/h), descend (2-3m/s) to 200m (correct height for the outer marker) and level off (250 km/h).

• When you pass over the outer marker, continue your descent (2-3 m/s, approx 2 min from touchdown)

• If the runway isn't visable by ~70m AGL, level off ~220km/h

• when you see the runway, continue your descent/landing if it's safe to do so.

if you don't pass over the inner marker and/or fail to see the runway after ~2 minutes since levelling off at 70m AGL - perform a missed approach (speed brake in, max throttle, flaps to T/O, gear up with positive rate of climb) and reset for another attempt.

Edited by Ramsay
Add approx timing after passing outer marker
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Ah, so you're trying to get the ADF on a 0-180 radial during a runway course overfly? That might have been what confused me when it told me to reference the RMI. For some reason I thought the ADF and the RMI were connected.

Edited by Dragoon47