Pilot head movement in the cockpit

amazingme

Yeah, TrackIR in the 109 isn´t the best .. I still get stuck in different positions a lot of times.

In VR the cockpit really feels good and you can move your head way better than with TrackIR (I know you have 1:1 translation/movement with VR but I think there has to be something that can be improved with the TrackIR implementation)

• Like 1

Hi,

I thought it was a problem with just my DCS (though I have no problems in other aicraft!). Yeah, there's something strange with head tracking in 109.

However, I'm not trying to solve these problems yet as I have more "core" problems with the viewpoint in 109. Please excuse me stealing the thread a bit.

1. What's wrong with this "automatic viewpoint shift" (let's call it this way) according to the gunsight position? It's the option under the "Special" tab. The idea behind this option is that when you have the Revi down (the so-called "cruise mode") your head is supposed to be centered in the cockpit (your nose in the longitudinal axis of the 109), and when Revi is up for combat (a.k.a. "combat mode") your head moves automatically to the right, so you can easily look through the sight.

Problem is... in "cruise mode" my head is clearly to the left, and in "combat mode" it's in the center. The amount of "viewpoint shift" from one mode to the other seems okay, it's just the "origin" of the viewpoint seems wrong (moved to the left). Do you guys use this feature? Is it that I broke down my DCS like that or do you all experience it?

2. Regardless of the above, my default viewpoint is too close to the dashboard, at least to my taste. In P-51 or the Spit - no complaints, but in 109 it's just too close. I tried to move my "snap views" (including the unrecommended "5" snap view), but that's not the way to go. Apparently even the "5" snap view is... well, a snap view. I could've guessed ;)

So, when I press "zoom normal" the viewpoint returns to this ugly "nose in the dashboard" view.

How do you change it? Do I need to tweak the numbers in that "snapview.lua" file or is it "server.lua"? Or is this done any other way? Is there a way to somehow predict the proper numbers to type in into one of these files or is it done solely by trial and error method?

Sorry for silly questions, but that's something I've never done so far in DCS. I'd rather ask than break something.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Re. 1 - in cruise mode the position should be dead center, just measured the distance from windscreen frame edges to my monitor edges left and right and they're the same. In combat mode, it should be almost centered on the gunsight.

Re. 2 - I've got opposite impression, 109 and P-47 have the defaut eyepoint located furthest from the instrument panel for me.

Given the points above, I'd hazard a guess you've already messed with snapviews.lua too much :D. Just delete it / move it temporarily from Saved Games location so that the game resets all views to default values and creates a new Snapviews.lua over there. See if that's what you'r after and you'll know by comparing old file with new which values to tweak by trial and error.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I swear I didn't do anything wrong, Your Honour! ;)

I'll be damned... works a charm!

The view is just perfect now (and "auto viewpoint shift" works as you said, too).

I haven't the faintest idea how I broke it. Point is, I started tweaking those snap views BECAUSE the view was bad... which must simply mean I had broken it before that, without noticing.

Thanks a 1000, Art! :notworthy:

Interestingly enough, after I had removed "Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua", DCS did not create a new one. I guess DCS has some file(s) for these things inside its installation directory and it creates a copy in "Saved Games" only when a user introduces a change (any change) to any aircraft. I will ivestigate later on (I've moved the "broken" file to a safe location for that purpose).

Thanks again! Now... where's my aviator hat... :pilotfly:

SORRY FOR STEALING THE THREAD, I'm off now. Sorry.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box