BUG 20 Fps Drop when tabbed into Sim

hazzer

Hi all,

Whilst trying to solve an issue I am currently experiencing (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=285412) I have found another.

Using FPS VR I was seeing the impact on my gpu, what this ended up showing me was that when DCS is the selected window on the pc my fps drops by about 20 fps! Then when I tabbed to another window, it jumped up by 20.

This is a massive issue that I hope someone can help me with.

Please see the video below which highlights the issue.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Hi all,

Whilst trying to solve an issue I am currently experiencing (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=285412) I have found another.

Using FPS VR I was seeing the impact on my gpu, what this ended up showing me was that when DCS is the selected window on the pc my fps drops by about 20 fps! Then when I tabbed to another window, it jumped up by 20.

This is a massive issue that I hope someone can help me with.

Please see the video below which highlights the issue.

I reported that a couple of months ago, and still happens. I also use VR and I also have 20FPS less when tabbed into sim

• ED Team

Hi

but when the window is active you are rendering more, so it would drop, or am I missing the point?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

but when the window is active you are rendering more, so it would drop, or am I missing the point?

So when DCS is selected the fps drops by 20, when it isn't selected the fps rises again.

If you look through VR you still see everything exactly the same, so there are no rendering differences.

I believe the issue is related to hardware acceleration being enabled. However, this shouldn't be an issue as in most cases it actually helps games run smoother.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Noticed something similar today with my CV1. Having to live with like 20-22 fps even with the shader mods (kegetys IC compliant by s-o-h, mustang shader mod, mustang flat shadow removal - I do miss the days where I had 45+ without those mods even in the Quest which has 88% more pixels which is totally unusable in DCS right now!), seeing it actually run butter smooth on the mirror after tabbing out while blocking the sensor in the headset to prevent it from going off. Clearly an issue that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Can't use fpsVR on the Rift though as I don't run DCS though SteamVR. But it is extremely obvious, night and day difference here.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Noticed something similar today with my CV1. Having to live with like 20-22 fps even with the shader mods (kegetys IC compliant by s-o-h, mustang shader mod, mustang flat shadow removal - I do miss the days where I had 45+ without those mods even in the Quest which has 88% more pixels which is totally unusable in DCS right now!), seeing it actually run butter smooth on the mirror after tabbing out while blocking the sensor in the headset to prevent it from going off. Clearly an issue that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Can't use fpsVR on the Rift though as I don't run DCS though SteamVR. But it is extremely obvious, night and day difference here.

If you install Mustang's shader mod after the Kegetys, then it'd disable few performance tweaks of the Kegetys. You need to merge the Tonemap.fx of both mods. Which isn't that hard actually. Just one line you need to copy from Mustang's to Kegetys.

If you install Mustang's shader mod after the Kegetys, then it'd disable few performance tweaks of the Kegetys. You need to merge the Tonemap.fx of both mods. Which isn't that hard actually. Just one line you need to copy from Mustang's to Kegetys.

Thanks for the hint... could you tell which line number it is in Mustang's so I know what to take over?

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Thanks for the hint... could you tell which line number it is in Mustang's so I know what to take over?

Line 84 of Mustang's into line 102 of Kegetys. You have to delete the Tonemap.fx from Mustang's of course after merging.

Another tip is to get Compare plugin for Notepad++

https://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-compare/

Very useful. Open the two files you want to compare, press Ctrl + Alt + C and it'll highlight all the line that's different.

Hi

There is no decrease in rendering when DCS is "ALT+tab" to another window. The only thing that happens, is text across the top of the rendered screen that says "window not focus" and you lose the mouse cursor. In other words, you can still move your head around and the view tracks your head movement and it is still mirrored on the monitor with your head movement being tracked.

Could the mouse no longer being rendered truly increase FPS by 20 or so? If so, seems like something to look into for us VR users and the mighty, mighty FPS hit that we have all experienced over the last year or so of updates/patches/hotfixes. Maybe something with the UI layer in general?

For the record - I followed the OP's steps and also experienced the exact same thing - from 22 FPS on the ground to 42 FPS.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Line 84 of Mustang's into line 102 of Kegetys. You have to delete the Tonemap.fx from Mustang's of course after merging.

Another tip is to get Compare plugin for Notepad++

https://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-compare/

Very useful. Open the two files you want to compare, press Ctrl + Alt + C and it'll highlight all the line that's different.

Thanks, did that. Got that plugin already for ages, but couldn't make out the one thing to take over as there are quite some differences with commented out lines when comparing those.

Here with a similar problem, that solution did not work for me, post if any improved with the reddit solution

Well that was because that thing was pegging 4 threads like 200% which DCS doesn't even remotely do as it's running single core, well, mostly. As far as I'm informed, ED at least managed to outsource the audio processing to a separate thread years ago.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg