[Guide] How to make DCS download updates on a separate drive

Shadow KT

On 7/19/2018 at 4:41 AM, Revs said:

I figured it out.

mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\_downloads" "D:\DCS Download Junction\_downloads"

That will create _download link from 😄 to 😧

The 😧 could have been named anything else but the 😄 which is the link must only be named _download for it to fool DCS updater.

And don't forget to right click command promt and run as Admin.

This worked for me December 27/2020....Good work.

• Thanks 1

It was nice when ED made the official updater to offer alternative download directory. But then someone had some problems with it and it was required to be removed.

Now it is back to command line procedure that is causing a extra challenging step for new users.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, draconus said:

It has to work because it works on a system level and DCS is just app running on that system. Buy SSD anyway 🙂

LOL... I have an SSD; the problem is theres 164Gbs left. I don't want to have to upgrade to a larger SSD if I dont have to. The more space I can save, the better. 

Edited by Omega One

6 minutes ago, draconus said:

There is no problem then.

kinda is .... I've noticed every dcs update, its sucking up lots of storage. Thats with me deleting temp files/fxo/ tacview files/etc. I'm probably going to need a new SSD by November at this rate. So I'm looking for a solution where the updates can be used from my HDD which is 3 TBs. 

Edited by Omega One

18 hours ago, Nodak said:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Best bang for the buck is putting your maps on the separate drive, they're huge but all in the same folder.  Than you have plenty of room for all the modules you can handle.

Yeah, I've been thinking about moving some of my maps, which I rarely use, or only for SP to another drive.

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• 1 year later...

Just ran into the low space problem during a DCS update on my OpenBeta installation. A dedicated 500 GB SSD just doesn't cut it anymore. Well, okay, it won't take any more terrains, that much is for sure, but at least for now I can update DCS again.

Awesome tip in the first post, thanks a lot man! 👍

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

Just ran into the low space problem during a DCS update on my OpenBeta installation. A dedicated 500 GB SSD just doesn't cut it anymore. Well, okay, it won't take any more terrains, that much is for sure, but at least for now I can update DCS again.

Awesome tip in the first post, thanks a lot man! 👍

Hehe! I just noticed when I clicked update, that I was down to 60GB on my 2TB, luckily I managed to empty the recycle bin to get another 30GB, but that was it. Haven't been using Stable for a year+, so I guess that'll go next time. Will give me another 300GB+... 😊