Moving targets VS CBU97

WelshZeCorgi

Anyone know how to hit moving targets with the CBU 97? An example of this is the A10C quick missions in Normandy labelled "CAS". If you follow JTAC instructions, he'll ask you to attack 3 tanks and SPAA with a CBU97.

Problem is that the CCRP doesn't factor in hang time when the munitions are descending on parachutes phase. So by the time the pucks get thrown, the target is safely out of the target area. I've tried the highest and lowest HOF settings, hoping to either reduce parachute time or spread the area of effect out more, but nothing seems to help.

i've tried to lead the target, but I have to lead so much, my targets are off the TGP in full zoom out. And even then they manage to drive through the area of effect and still escape, not to mention that they sometimes change directions and avoid the area that way.

Also, did they change the damage model? I stopped the tanks by popping one with a Maverick and then dropping a CBU97 while they were stationary. And it went off in the middle of the 3 tanks but only killed one. thought it should hsve been powerful enough to kill all 3 but apparently not.

This thread from a month back essentially covers most of the main point here.

Personally I wouldn't be using the TPG for this; there is a Nevada instant action that sounds much the same in concept and I have had good success observing the targets out the window and dropping ahead of them using CCIP.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Moving targets: use unguided dispenser, set HOF to 700 or 900, CCIP about a football field down the road from the lead vic. Guided is meant for stationary targets.

The CBU 97 the OP is using is an unguided dispenser... the CBU 103/105 are fitted with a guided fin package but not the 87/97.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Taking into account how long the bomb will fall (depends on release height) and how long it then takes for the submunitions to engage targets (depends on HOF), you might be able to get a fairly decent estimate of the total time to lead the targets. How that translates to distance covered on the ground, and how to estimate that distence using the TGP or any other avionics... your guess is as good as mine. ;)

Also, did they change the damage model?

I'm pretty sure they did. CBU-97s used to devastate entire tank columns; last I tried, they were about as (in)efficient as the CBU-87.

Taking into account how long the bomb will fall (depends on release height) and how long it then takes for the submunitions to engage targets (depends on HOF), you might be able to get a fairly decent estimate of the total time to lead the targets. How that translates to distance covered on the ground, and how to estimate that distence using the TGP or any other avionics... your guess is as good as mine. ;)

I'm pretty sure they did. CBU-97s used to devastate entire tank columns; last I tried, they were about as (in)efficient as the CBU-87.

They’re not quite that bad. We dropped 4 (2x2) on a Hawk site that was “under construction” during a squadron mission a couple weeks ago (CCIP .. RPL SINGL .. QTY 2 .. 75’ Spacing .. HOF 700’) using a traditional DB30 profile and with Lead sorting east and me west out of a wedge formation, I think we had skeets hit all 10 units and destroyed them all. Granted they weren’t tanks or IFVs but the mechanics of how they work (and the expectation of what should happen) seemed intact.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

[...] I think we had skeets hit all 10 units and destroyed them all. Granted they weren’t tanks or IFVs but the mechanics of how they work (and the expectation of what should happen) seemed intact.

I have to say, my expectations come from previous experiences in DCS, where a single CBU-97 would destroy roughly 35+ targets in a tightly packed group, or an entire column of tanks and APCs of 6+ vehicles in a line formation.

That *did* seem like overkill, but it worked like that consistently for years. ;)

Recently, I think hit rates went down to maybe 3 or 4 out of 20 (as a very rough estimate). Granted, the target groups were different from those in the past, but I'd have expected a whole lot more.

Coming back to your example, of course I don't know how far the units were spread, but in earlier times I wouldn't have been surprised if a single CBU-97 had taken out an entire Hawk site. If it takes 4 bombs/160 skeets to do the job, it feels as if something changed. ;)

Then again, if my task was to take out a Hawk site, I'd certainly prefer to drop 4 CBUs and be sure to take it out at once and maybe waste a few skeets, rather than drop a single CBU only to figure the site is still 80% operational. :thumbup:

Column of 15 T55s + 1 Shilka in the centre. I expect to take out every time in a single pass, 30 degree dive from 6,000 ft, 400ft interval, Hof 1200ft, CCIP along the length of the column which seems reasonable. Aim point about 5 tank lengths early (depends on the speed of the column.) Only thing that doesn't seem 'right' is the interval spacing, which always seems far less than actually set. I estimate it gives about Half of the specified spacing. I notice these days the tanks no longer scatter when attacked which is a shame. Just for a change and a bit of sniping practice I sometimes take out the AAA with a maverick first from a distance then release the 97s (still in a single pass). I will use the TGP to locate the column from a long distance so plenty of time to set up the pass and identify the AAA unit. I suspect 3 x 97s would be enough, but that would unbalance the plane.

Anyone know how to increase the area of effect size? I thought that increasing height of function would spread out the skeet dispensers more, but they seem to stay clustered together whether they deploy at 700 or 3000.

Anyone know how to spread the love around?

That being said, it is super fun to watch the CBU-97/105 at work. Just so cool for ED to make graphics and effects of the dispensers and skeets when they deploy. It just looks so cool.

Anyone know how to increase the area of effect size? I thought that increasing height of function would spread out the skeet dispensers more, but they seem to stay clustered together whether they deploy at 700 or 3000.

Anyone know how to spread the love around?

That being said, it is super fun to watch the CBU-97/105 at work. Just so cool for ED to make graphics and effects of the dispensers and skeets when they deploy. It just looks so cool.

Employ more weapons with appropriate spacing. The CBU-97/105 has a fixed pattern size regardless of HOF. Set HOF to 500 (700 in uneven terrain) to minimise the time the BLU-108s spend on their parachutes (and therefore subject to wind drift) and forget about it.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL