GPS UNIT

ZQuickSilverZ

I was wondering if anyone had heard any information about the GPS unit being developed for DCS world.

I have not heard any information on it in a long time. Is it still being worked on?

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's probably hanging out with the updated ATC for DCS. ;)

(of course, I am jesting)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

there were a few pics installed on mi-8 but nothing more.

i also wonder how it is going

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I was wondering if anyone had heard any information about the GPS unit being developed for DCS world.

I have not heard any information on it in a long time. Is it still being worked on?

I would think that it would be module-specific, if anything. I know that the A-10C features GPS navigation as well as a backup inertial navigation system. I can't remember offhand whether the Ka-50 uses GLONASS (motto: now featuring the minimum number of satellites for global coverage...until the next one fails) or if it uses an INS. The Mirage 2000C uses a very detailed INS, as does the Viggen. By contrast, some modules of older aircraft like the MiG-21, MiG-15, and F-5 use radio beacon navigation.

Nav systems are going to be specific to a given aircraft, based on what would be realistic for that aircraft. I do remember one of the third-party devs mentioning something about a Garmin GPS for an upcoming module a while back, but I could be mistaken.

I do remember one of the third-party devs mentioning something about a Garmin GPS for an upcoming module a while back, but I could be mistaken.
The Garmin is what I was referring to.

It would be nice to have in an Su25T, Hawk, Tiger II, Mi-8. Anything really.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aren't GPS signals jammed during wartime ?

Only if you are on the wrong side ;)

To INVENT an Airplane is Nothing.

To BUILD One is Something.

But to FLYis EVERYTHING.

- Otto Lilienthal

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't remember offhand whether the Ka-50 uses GLONASS (motto: now featuring the minimum number of satellites for global coverage...until the next one fails) or if it uses an INS.

The Ka-50 does use GLONASS as well as a backup INS. Not quite sure what you're hinting at with the bracketed comment, but if you're saying that GLONASS is unreliable, then it seems that you probably have never heard about Galileo ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

We are getting a bit off track.

Are they still working on this or not?

Who was working on it?

Was it third party or DCS?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aren't GPS signals jammed during wartime ?

I have no idea. I was never in the military and am not a student of military tactics.

What you say makes total sense.

That being said I have seen a lot of aircraft with moving map systems. If jamming GPS is such a common tactic you would think that moving map systems would not be worth the trouble and expense to build and develop.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GPS UNIT

I have no idea. I was never in the military and am not a student of military tactics.

That being said I have seen a lot of aircraft with moving map systems. If jamming GPS is such a common tactic you would think that moving map systems would not be worth the trouble and expense to build and develop.

They technically can be jammed... but in my real life experience, we used Garmin 430/530's with no problems. In the end, it depends on who are at war with... ha

Modern military aircraft use inertial navigation systems that provide good-enough accuracy with no external inputs required. GPS (or other radio navigation inputs) are used to calibrate them when such signals are available. Manual calibration is also possible, requiring the pilot to program the current lat:long as they overfly a known terrain feature.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought it.

smile.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now if we can get one of these in an Su-25T I will be all set.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They technically can be jammed... but in my real life experience, we used Garmin 430/530's with no problems. In the end, it depends on who are at war with... ha

"Tension with the United States[edit]

A December 2001 letter from U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz to the Ministers of the EU states as part of the US-lobbying campaign against Galileo

Galileo is intended to be an EU civilian GNSS that allows all users access to it. Initially GPS reserved the highest quality signal for military use, and the signal available for civilian use was intentionally degraded (Selective Availability). This changed with President Bill Clinton signing a policy directive in 1996 to turn off Selective Availability. Since May 2000 the same precision signal has been provided to both civilians and the military.[19]

Since Galileo was designed to provide the highest possible precision (greater than GPS) to anyone, the US was concerned that an enemy could use Galileo signals in military strikes against the US and its allies (some weapons like missiles use GNSSs for guidance). The frequency initially chosen for Galileo would have made it impossible for the US to block the Galileo signals without also interfering with its own GPS signals. The US did not want to lose their GNSS capability with GPS while denying enemies the use of GNSS. Some US officials became especially concerned when Chinese interest in Galileo was reported.[20]

An anonymous EU official claimed that the US officials implied that they might consider shooting down Galileo satellites in the event of a major conflict in which Galileo was used in attacks against American forces.[21] The EU's stance is that Galileo is a neutral technology, available to all countries and everyone. At first, EU officials did not want to change their original plans for Galileo, but have since reached the compromise that Galileo is to use a different frequency. This allowed the blocking or jamming of either GNSS without affecting the other

"

Cheers.

• 10 months later...
Now if we can get one of these in an Su-25T I will be all set.
Ask and ye shall receive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]