Tarawa shortcomings

BrzI

.....The only obvious WIP bug is the Phalanx CIWS opening fire at 6km (3.3 nm) rather than close in.

A very impressive improvement to the Tarawa indeed however, you are still unable to spawn in a helicopter aboard her :cry: Very happy and very disappointed at the same time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm assuiming this is an ED issue. But at some point will the smoke effect from the Tarawa be removed?

As seen here, she doesn't smoke nearly at all, if any.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Smoke is controlled via the lua file.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

i want to notice that the new lighting effects on the Tarawa are amazing. The overall light, bright and colors are very well done BUT....

Im experience a very important hit in perfomance. My FPS on the deck with lights on are suffering a lot. From steady 60 FPS to 45 with degraded smothness when looking around. Only with lights on. Lights off FPS are perfectly solid. I think the biggest impact is the green reflection all over the main super structure.

Zeus:

Are you going to take a look at the perfomance hit with lights on?

Can we expect some tuning around the Tarawa lights for better perfomance?

Thanks a lot for your continuous development.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

i want to notice that the new lighting effects on the Tarawa are amazing. The overall light, bright and colors are very well done BUT....

Im experience a very important hit in perfomance. My FPS on the deck with lights on are suffering a lot. From steady 60 FPS to 45 with degraded smothness when looking around. Only with lights on. Lights off FPS are perfectly solid. I think the biggest impact is the green reflection all over the main super structure.

Zeus:

Are you going to take a look at the perfomance hit with lights on?

Can we expect some tuning around the Tarawa lights for better perfomance?

Thanks a lot for your continuous development.

Will take a look at it

ALSO, with latest ED update, choppers now take off properly (AI), not sure when it will show in the LHA-1

Isn't LHA-1 in DCS just a Kuznetzov with different 3d model.

I am new to DCS, but I noticed that smoke from LHA-1 and Kuznetzov appear to be very similar. 3D model of LHA-1 lacks detail and refinement of Stennis, but is similar to detail on Kuznetsov. Real Tarawa class vessels don't produce so much dark smoke.

I am new to DCS, but I noticed that smoke from LHA-1 and Kuznetzov appear to be very similar. 3D model of LHA-1 lacks detail and refinement of Stennis, but is similar to detail on Kuznetsov. Real Tarawa class vessels don't produce so much dark smoke.

I'd suggest maybe upping your graphics settings as the Tarawa is a great model and the textures look excellent on my 4k display running with everything max'd out

Cheers Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

In is first iteration,I absolutely agree with you. But the team has been hard at work making the shop much more presentable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Tarawa Parking WIP

I'll need to test with the current update (yesterday), but the major issue with helicopters, was that the spawn points were beside the deck for AI AND(!) multiplayer. Is this fixed, already or is it coming with another update in the future?

I am particularly interested in the multiplayer aspect for launching helicopters and AV-8s from the deck cold and dark. :music_whistling:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 3 weeks later...
Revised aircraft spawn points WIP:

attachment.php?attachmentid=192536&stc=1&d=1534958872

Looking good... Any shots of the Helo spawn points? ;)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

What are the chances of the Tarawa getting fixed by this next patch?
I could check, before Windows' f...ing forced April Feature Upgrade shredded my install.

At least the Helos in MP spawn on the deck beside the island (spot 5/6) where the Harrier spawn, as well.

So not perfect, but we can launch from the deck, cold and dark, at least. :)

Shagrat

I tried spawning in a Mi-8 and it was exactly the same as before - I was on the port side outboard of the catwalk and falling into the water. This was just last week following the most recent update to the OpenBeta.
I tried a Huey and I spawned at the same spot, the AV-8B spawns. Left of the island, on the tramline. Did not try any other helo.

Shagrat

I tried spawning in a Mi-8 and it was exactly the same as before - I was on the port side outboard of the catwalk and falling into the water. This was just last week following the most recent update to the OpenBeta.

The current OB version allows me this spawn point for the Mi8:

attachment.php?attachmentid=192750&stc=1&d=1535388551

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The current OB version allows me this spawn point for the Mi8:

attachment.php?attachmentid=192750&stc=1&d=1535388551

Jepp, same as with the Huey and AV-8B.

Shagrat

But really the helos should be on the helo spots and not on the tram line. From my observations, the white K looking lines are where the helos operate and the tram line is only for AV8B.

And there is good reason for this, if not... The main rotor is too close to the island superstructure of the ship and you would have a rotor strike on the island.

At least that is what I have noticed when watching pictures and videos of USMC aviation at sea.

But really the helos should be on the helo spots and not on the tram line. From my observations, the white K looking lines are where the helos operate and the tram line is only for AV8B.

And there is good reason for this, if not... The main rotor is too close to the island superstructure of the ship and you would have a rotor strike on the island.

At least that is what I have noticed when watching pictures and videos of USMC aviation at sea.

That wasn't the point. This is WIP. They had that spots and spawned outboard over the water.

Now, while the changes in DCS to the carriers continue we have a fix to at least spawn helos from the deck of the Tarawa.

I am sure Razbam is aware, as they tried to put them in the correct spots, in the first place.

EDIT actually the helos should spawn in front of the island or aft of it. Then you would load them, start up and move them to the spots for Takeoff, unless it's a pure helo carrier.

The AV-8B need a clean tramline for start, so there can't be helos parked, all the time.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

lha1_63.jpg

amphibious-assault-ship-lha-05.jpg

amphibious-assault-ship-lha-06.jpg

amphibious-assault-ship-lha-07.jpg

209_3.jpg

y7WODr1.jpg

USS_Tarawa__4_May_08_No_17_fs.jpg

USS_Tarawa__4_May_08_No_31_fs.jpg

Uss_Tarawa__4_May_08_No_8_fs.jpg

Uss_Tarawa__4_May_08_No_9_fs.jpg

Uss_Tarawa__4_May_08_No1_fs.jpg

i'm talking about how it is IRL not ingame (which should mimic IRL [yes?] it is a sim after all)

as you can see, plenty of images online of what i'm talking about...

I am aware how it is IRL. You can actually download the NATOPS stuff for LHAs with the details. As I said: Razbams original early access release already used (!) the correct spots for start positions, yet the spawn position was broken.

What I meant for spawning (like a cold and dark helicopter) it will not materialize on the take off spot, it will come from a parking position on deck or from a hangar below deck. If an LHA has a mixed complement of helos and AV-8Bs the helos can not be parked/stored on the spots 2 to 7 as it would block the tramline and the AV-8Bs could not launch.

Either the helos need to be launched or parked fore and aft of island or below deck.

What you can see in a lot of videos and photos.

Shagrat