How do I use ILS?

ncimike3

I'm a bit frustrated. After watching the online videos about using the ILS in the viper I can't replicate the results. I feel I've setup up everything correct but the ILS won't come to life. I've attached 2 pictures. One from the DCS video and one from my system. I'm on approach to McCarren and the ils bars are "dashed" and not responding. The ILS shows on, the freq is set to McCarren ILS. I know I'm missing something but not quite sure what. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Capture.thumb.PNG.67c202bf5e68bfaba2a5ea4c88254d4c.PNG

1549549186_DCStutorialvideo.PNG.ece8eb5d583dfe41e708ebbe1b222431.PNG

EVGA X58 FTW3 | i7-960 3.2GHz | 6Gb DDR3 1600Mhz | GTX 680 4Gb | Win 7 64 |TM HOTAS Warthog | Combat Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TM MFD Cougar set | Logithech G35 Headset

A couple of things could be preventing the ILS from not working in the aircraft:

The frequency is wrong for the runway you are landing on

The ILS for the runway may not be activated due to a bug with wind in the sim right now.

you may not be landing in the right direction for the runway you are using.

You can check the the appropriate information on the chart in knee pad.

Hopefully that will help you troubleshoot the issue. If not can you provide us a track file so we can take a look?

Edit:

Looking at your screen shot there are also a number of flags in your HSI indicating that it is not working correctly. Do you have the correct mode selected in the HSI? Did you take any damage during your flight?

Edited by Repth

Sometimes it’s not the jet that’s the problem. The NTTR map does have some airports that are not instinctively correct to other airports. Also there are still bugs at some airports as well for that map. You may very well setting this up correctly in the jet, but the airport/ATC might be the thing preventing the ILS beams from being broadcast.

I don’t have a list of which ones work or not, but to check and make sure they are setup to work:

-would to ensure a headwind for desired runway.

-Always call ATC for inbound to verify the runway they are using is correct (this will save you frustration).

-verify the runway on the F10 map has an ILS freq. Don’t rely on the kneeboard charts.

If all those favor your ILS you want to shoot, then the jet should detect the beams if set up correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Thanks for the replies. I know the ILS is on the correct freq from the info on the map (F10). I also know it is the correct freq because it is the same one used in the DCS ILS training video. In the screen shots you can see I'm using the same freq as the training video. I'm also coming in on the same approach heading as the video. As far as being in the correct mode, I am seeing the ILS bars appear on the HUD so that tells me that the ILS is on and looking for a signal. Lastly, it was just a free flight with no threats or damage to the aircraft. I'll try the headwind thing and see if that works. Thanks again for the replies!

EVGA X58 FTW3 | i7-960 3.2GHz | 6Gb DDR3 1600Mhz | GTX 680 4Gb | Win 7 64 |TM HOTAS Warthog | Combat Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TM MFD Cougar set | Logithech G35 Headset

Runway heading entered under the freq in the DED?

No. the heading was entered under CRS as shown in pic.

I have a pre-built mission for ILS landings at Senaki:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4115584&postcount=5

Just use that one and follow the instructions in the brief for setting up your radio, TACAN, ILS freq and CRS.

Brakes out, speed to ~165, AOA about 10-11 and keep the vel vector on the top of the staple and then end of the RW...and practice...a lot!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I'm a bit frustrated. After watching the online videos about using the ILS in the viper I can't replicate the results. I feel I've setup up everything correct but the ILS won't come to life. I've attached 2 pictures. One from the DCS video and one from my system. I'm on approach to McCarren and the ils bars are "dashed" and not responding. The ILS shows on, the freq is set to McCarren ILS. I know I'm missing something but not quite sure what. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I was not able to get the 26R ILS to work at McCarran (LAS) either - I was using the info from the kneeboard approach plate. It works fine at Nellis (LVS) though.

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB