Practically no roll input "stiffening" with IAS ? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-30-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
jcomm

Default Practically no roll input "stiffening" with IAS ?

I noticed during my trials with this recently bought module that even when diving at top speeds and just before starting to lose control surfaces, the A-8 is still very responsive in roll.

I don't have feedback references for the real world behaviour, so, any comments really appreciated!
Old 10-30-2019, 10:50 PM   #2
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomm View Post
I noticed during my trials with this recently bought module that even when diving at top speeds and just before starting to lose control surfaces, the A-8 is still very responsive in roll.

I don't have feedback references for the real world behaviour, so, any comments really appreciated!
Don't really know, but certainly Fw190 ailerons were always praised for their good harmonization and mass balance. Might be the reason why they perform so well at high speeds.

Just wondering, isn't the same in Dora?

S!
Old 10-31-2019, 07:22 AM   #3
grafspee

I have noticed reduced responsiveness of ailerons in high speeds in D-9 haven't tested A-8 at high speeds.
It is miles better then roll then in p-51 or spitfire

Last edited by grafspee; 10-31-2019 at 07:43 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
jcomm

Yep, from what I recall of the Dora, it did gain more stiffeness.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
Wilbus

In tests by both Germans and Allied forces of the A models the conclusion was always that the controls were very good in most speeds. The roll rate in particular was praised at all speed and rarely stiffened up. Can't remember what different tests I read but I may have them at home in one of my books.

Can't remember for sure but I believe I also read somewhere that some caution had to be taken at high speeds as the controls were still easy enough to otherwise cause damage to the air frame. Will see if I can dig something up at home.

This changed somewhat with the D model and while it still rolled well at all speeds it lost out to the A here and was a bit more in line with other fighters of the time. Though of course it gained other good attributes.

The FW 190 has for long been one of my favorite planes and I used to read pretty much all I could find about it but I have of course forgotten much of it as well.

/Wilbus
Wilbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Report 868 sacral chart is the answer.
Red Square, equal altitide, equal IAS - ailerons clipping position is an answer for the second question (Dora vs Anton).
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote