Help Me With My Settings

Bob Morton

Hi,

Here are my settings but the fling is kind of jerky, what would you recommend I increase or decrease? See my system in my signature below. Thank you!! Also, I don't appear to be able to display frame rate when in VR - do you guys know how to do this?

Capture%201.jpgCapture%202.jpg

F-14B - F-18C - F-16C - Mirage 2000

i7-6700k 4Ghz; EVGA 2080ti; 32GB DDR4; warthog HOTAS; Logitech pro flight pedals; oculus Rift S

Two thoughts occur .

One is that we don't know what version you are running , open beta or stable . If the former , it is severely hobbled with performance issues that only ED can fix , although you can revert to stable .

The second thought is that cpu , which is clearly a bottleneck . If you can overclock it , you would realise a significant performance gain .

Otherwise , you may wish to consider dropping those settings that most affect the cpu . Chimney smoke , visibility range , and tree visibility . More trees = more shadows to calculate . I find that 70% or so is sufficient to avoid "popup" trees . Lens effects and high civil traffic are also candidates . I would drop them all , and check performance , then gradually increment up those features most important to you .

FPS VR , available on Steam for not much , will answer your last question if the DCS monitor is still bugged . (Rctrl+pause/break)

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Two thoughts occur .

One is that we don't know what version you are running , open beta or stable . If the former , it is severely hobbled with performance issues that only ED can fix , although you can revert to stable .

The second thought is that cpu , which is clearly a bottleneck . If you can overclock it , you would realise a significant performance gain .

Otherwise , you may wish to consider dropping those settings that most affect the cpu . Chimney smoke , visibility range , and tree visibility . More trees = more shadows to calculate . I find that 70% or so is sufficient to avoid "popup" trees . Lens effects and high civil traffic are also candidates . I would drop them all , and check performance , then gradually increment up those features most important to you .

FPS VR , available on Steam for not much , will answer your last question if the DCS monitor is still bugged . (Rctrl+pause/break)

Thank you! I am running the old version 2.5, not the 2.6, so it is not that. I will try reducing the chimney smoke and trees to see the impact.

F-14B - F-18C - F-16C - Mirage 2000

i7-6700k 4Ghz; EVGA 2080ti; 32GB DDR4; warthog HOTAS; Logitech pro flight pedals; oculus Rift S

Thank you! I am running the old version 2.5, not the 2.6, so it is not that. I will try reducing the chimney smoke and trees to see the impact.

Might also want to turn down your PD setting if you don't get decent performance. 2.0 is extremely high

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Yes PD of 2.0 is way too high for a Rift S.

1.2-1.3 should be plenty.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Id say these settings should be altered also:

-Terrain textures to Low ( probably no visual degrading but may lower CPU/GPU load)

-Civil traffic -Off

-Heat blur - Off

-Shadows to Flat only ( shadows is really hard on the hardware)

-MSAA - consider testing Off

-Depth of field - Off

-Lens effect - none

-clutter/grass/threes - min setting initially

-Chimney smoke -lowest

-Anisotropic filtering - begin lower, off or 2/4X

Cocpit global illumination - Off

-Start with Pixel desnity much lower- suggest 1.2 or 1.4.

This should get tou back on track with smooth gaming.

When you know its smooth, you can start increasing settings( only one by one). Look after sign of stutter or lower frame rate. Also look if tou actually see any digference in picture quality.

Quite a few really doesnt show better graphics in VR but it load your CPU or GPU, sometimes much without any real gain.

You have to realize that even with the best hardware available, you would have to compromise between picture quality and smooth fps flow.

Most of the settings above is mine current, with a i9@5.2Ghz, GTX2080ti(overclocked), 32Gb RAM.

And I strongly recommend as earlier said, to OC your CPU to at least 4.6/4.7Ghz. This means learning about overclocking and making sure your cooling including cooling paste on CPU is up to the job.

Main reason, your CPU is the bottleneck and actually your 6700K overclocked will not perfom that much lower than a brand new i7/i9 in DCS. Which means, getting a new CPU for DCS only would be kind of waisting money. I recently upgraded the CPU, but DCS was not the main reason. Had a i7 from 2013(3770K delidded@4.7 ghz) and that was fine.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Id say these settings should be altered also:

-Terrain textures to Low ( probably no visual degrading but may lower

Yeah I keep this low, eats some GPU VRAM. I see some visual degrading but only when looking outside (sitting in cockpit) and you see that runway near you is not so high quality. But I can live with that :smilewink:

Screen_200405_140237.thumb.png.138ea05f0de68c777404455cdc7ae37d.png

Screen_200405_140426.thumb.png.a59f8b8dea7818f29629a9fca120eed7.png

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11